Can I walk easily to all these sites with young kids???

AandBmom

I'm interested in the following sites for our children. What is my best (and most economical) mode of transportation? Is this easily walkable? Which ones of these sites would you say are more interesting? Any idea of cost for each thing? I will look at each of their websites, but if anyone can give me an idea that would be great. Thanks.

- wrecker's museum and tower

- Aquarium

- small cemetary just next to El Meson de Pepe on Front Street

- Lighthouse and museum on the right side of Whitehead with great views of Key West from the top

- Butterfly Conservatory

- icecream at Flamingo Crosssing

-Nancy's Secret Garden just off Simonton

- new toy store in the clinton square mall

- Eco-Discovery Museum

- fort Zachary Taylor Sate Park

- The Pirate Soul Museum

I'm interested in the following sites for our children. What is my best (and most economical) mode of transportation? Is this easily walkable? Which ones of these sites would you say are more interesting? Any idea of cost for each thing? I will look at each of their websites, but if anyone can give me an idea that would be great. Thanks.

- wrecker's museum and tower: Yes, just off the docks

- Aquarium: same

- small cemetary just next to El Meson de Pepe on Front Street: same

- Lighthouse and museum on the right side of Whitehead with great views of Key West from the top: this is about 9 - 10 blocks down Whitehead, so a qualified yes

- Butterfly Conservatory: No - almost all the way down Duval, approx 15 blocks

- icecream at Flamingo Crosssing: Same

-Nancy's SecretGarden just off Simonton: on Schoolhouse Lane about half way down Simonton. Another qualified yes

- new toy store in the clinton square mall: Yes, see no. 1 above

- Eco-DiscoveryMuseum: Off around Fort Zach so you could do this and the item below, but these two will take more time thqn any other two items.

- fortZacharyTaylorSatePark

- The PirateSoulMuseum: Yes, on Front just on the other side of Duval, but it is or has closed. You must check.

Pjk

Just my opinion for what it is worth, but I think that is an awful lot for small kids to absorb in one day's time, plus it would be time consuming to do all of that. If you happen to get to Key West on a really hot, humid day, the ambitious itinerary you have laid out will be even harder.

It would help if the small children have some conveyance. Then they won't have to walk to all of the listed places and they can even sleep if they get too tired out.

The other option to see all of the places is to rent one of Key West's electric cars and drive to each site you want to see.

Thanks for the answers so far. I don't really expect to see all these things, but I thought if I could get an idea of what is near what we could make a plan that includes some of these things. I think we'll skip the butterfly conservatory as it seems a little further away and the kids aren't really interested in it.

The electric car idea is interesting. Do you know of a website where I can get more info on that?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, I'm the one that asked this question and we're home now so I'll answer it in case anyone else is curious.

We had a lovely few hours in Key West. We walked around the main area, popped into CVS to get some supplies, looked in some little shops/venders, then went to the new Toys Store. In that little mall we used the token from the Toy Store (given to my son for buying something) to get ice cream and key lime pie dipped in chocolate. After that we went to the Aquarium for an hour or so. We walked to the Pirate museum but decided that our kids weren't quite old enough (4 and 6) to keep their attention on the exhibits so we only looked around the gift shop. We then walked through town back to our shuttle. This was enough for our little guys and for us too! I would've liked to have gone to the eco discovery center but it's kind of difficult to get to and we were tired so we didn't bother. We had a great day and found this was the perfect amount of activity for us! The day was rather inexpensive too - free shuttle into town from Carnival, walked to everything, $34 to get into Aquarium, free ice cream for kids with voucher from toy store and a couple dollars for the pie. The kids each bought a couple little souveniers, but nothing very expensive.

Archived