Stamp-happy notary=not good.

I'll start this off with a positive: After all the problems I had with TWE, I called and asked to speak with a manager. She was actually really helpful, we went over the details and by the time the call was over I didn't feel so frustrated with my experiences I've had with them. They have been great since then-they even called me to remind me to fax a form in before it was due. I don't feel like there are so many what-if's now.

Now the not so good. I got my marriage license app in the mail on Saturday. It had to be signed in front of a notary since it's a legal document, then fed-exed back to FL. No problem, we just figured we would get that taken care of this morning (since most places were closed Easter sunday) and ship it down there. We went into the bank, and I mentioned to the notary that there were detailed instructions warning not to obstruct anything on the form because you can't white anything out. We signed the license, and then she stamped, 3 times, right over our signatures :eek: It was like I was seeing it in slow motion. She handed it back to us like everything was fine and dandy, and as we were walking out I looked at the form and realized her stamp was completely blocking my signature as well as our addresses. I started crying (this is a new development-apparently as the wedding gets closer, I don't get angry I just cry ;)) and just sat in my car. My fiancé went in and talked to her, letting her know it wouldn't be processed because of the stamps. They called RR and sure enough, it won't be processed. My fiancé was mad at RR which I don't understand-the bank is the one that made the error, and RR CLEARLY stated how it was supposed to be filled out (they even included a sample page) Anyways, long story-to the point-now RR has to fed ex a new form to the bank, we have to go up there to sign it again (he lives an hour away from me) then I have to pay to have it shipped overnight. It cost $63.50, which the bank ended up paying for since it was their mistake. I'm not really angry anymore because the bank reimbursed us, I'm just sending out a warning to all brides mailing in their app to make SURE the notary doesn't do the same thing! It'll save you the headache of having to do everything over again.

Sorry to hear that. The notary we used was very careful to look at the instructions on the sample form, but I pointed it out to her ahead of time of course.

It's a good thing you are warning future brides about this though... Sounds pretty expensive and stressful getting it all straightened out.

What a pain!! Quick question, how long did it take you to get the marriage license app in the mail? I sent my pre-application in mid February and still havent received the application! I called TWE and they told me they received our package March 3rd... but still no package yet!

Oh that is terrible! That's un-needed stress for you, but I'm glad to hear your bank took responsibility for their actions.

Fiance and I just did ours a week ago and I was really worried that I would have a story similar to yours.

As one May 9th bride to another- Best Wishes! Only 33 more days to go :)

What a pain!! Quick question, how long did it take you to get the marriage license app in the mail? I sent my pre-application in mid February and still havent received the application! I called TWE and they told me they received our package March 3rd... but still no package yet!

When is your wedding? My wedding is April 25th and I received the application near the end of February. I'm assuming you will receive it closer to your wedding date.

When is your wedding? My wedding is April 25th and I received the application near the end of February. I'm assuming you will receive it closer to your wedding date.

I spoke to TWE last week and surprisingly had a positive experience (after everything I read on here I wasn't looking forward to calling them!) I spoke to the only person who handles the marriage license apps and she was able to pull my file and told me I should get everything back by the end of April (I'm getting married 6/28/10) so one less thing to worry about! :)

Archived