Easter Fog in Galveston

amyaphiiz

We were on the VOTS sailing that got into Galveston on Easter Sunday. I just wanted to let everyone know that I think that the crew on the Voyager as well as customs did a great job. We were in the 19th departure group and we waited on the Promenade while they called the groups. From the Promenade at least, people seemed to be waiting for their group number before they made their way to the gangway.

The crew was keeping us as up to date as possible during the fog delay. They had movies going in the theater and even fed us lunch.

When we got off of the ship, baggage was fairly well organized (although luggage for our color/number combo was in 2 places....freaked me out when I couldn't find our luggage).

After reading posts on here and knowing that we had over 1000 Mexican nationals on board, I was SCARED of customs. But they had 10 windows open and had 5 for US citizens and 5 for non. We were through customs VERY quickly.

Overall, I think Royal Caribbean did a fantastic job. We were delayed going out of Long Beach 3 years ago on Carnival, and that was a joke. No one knew anything. This was a much better situation. Luckily, we just had to drive home (outside of Houston). I feel bad for people (especially those from Chicago) that are still here till tomorrow morning!

There was a news article on www.khou.com talking about the delays on the Carnival Conquest. People on the ship were very angry as they did not call them in groups to debark and it was a free for all getting off the ship. I'm glad you feel that RCCL and the Port of Galveston handled things well! Glad you had a great trip too! :)

I dont know what the article was taking about, we were off the ship and through customs by 5:15 and our ship got in after the voyager. there is no doubt the back up was with customs and the lines there. They couldnt call anymore numbers becase there was no where else to go when you got off the ship. The crew did an incredible job! they served lunch and dinner the grill was open, ice cram etc. camp carnival was open for the kids, moves were shown in the theatre and the big screen by the pool. Just people couldnt understand why the line wasnt moving (customs) so they didnt wait for their numbrs any to be called so this made it worse. If you did self assist and didnt check your bags which we did we were in the car by 5:30.

I was also on the March 28 Voyager, and agree the crew did a great job. We stayed in Cleopatra's Needle (with kids).

I felt sorry for those sailing April 4 on the Voyager or Conquest -- having to wait in the already crowded terminal with little or nothing to eat.

I'm curious to read their reviews.

We waited in line for 3 1/2 hours for security/check-in and finally boarded the ship at around 9:30. Fortunately our luggage had already arrived at the stateroom. They did serve sandwiches and cookies in the terminal however the configuration of the line did not make it easy to partake of that offerring...

It was disappointing that crew was taking up 3 of the tables at Johnny Rockets Sunday night and paying pax who had been in line for so long and no dinner were having to wait for tables.

We waited in line for 3 1/2 hours for security/check-in and finally boarded the ship at around 9:30. Fortunately our luggage had already arrived at the stateroom. They did serve sandwiches and cookies in the terminal however the configuration of the line did not make it easy to partake of that offerring...

It was disappointing that crew was taking up 3 of the tables at Johnny Rockets Sunday night and paying pax who had been in line for so long and no dinner were having to wait for tables.

Sorry you had to wait in the terminal, but my real sympathy goes out to the crew. They busted their butts that Sunday to keep everyone happy. The room stewards couldn't get the rooms cleaned as people were still in them. The activites staff played games and showed movies to keep people occupied. The crew knewMANY people missed flights (and therefore were angry), and they also knew that the new passengers were not going to be happy since their departure was delayed. IMO, they deserved to be sitting in Johnny Rockets more than anyone!!!

I think my point is that they have other venues in which to eat that aren't available to passengers so I would think passengers would take precedence in passenger dining venues. No doubt they busted their butts that Sunday. Much credit to the crew for turning the ship around in time for a midnight departure. As I mentioned our luggage had already arrived at the stateroom and the stateroom was clean and ready for us when we arrived.

The officers dining at Johnny Rockets probably didn't have alot to do with that or nearly as much as the stateroom attendants did IMO.

Sailed on the 04/04 VOS cruise. Dropped off luggage around 10:45, drove to EZ Cruise and parked car. Walked the Strand until 1:30, entered the terminal, straight through security and then waited approx. 30 min to check in. (Since the computers are kept on board the ship, we were checked in by hand, once ship arrived and computers were hooked up, were given our Set Sail passes.) Given a sack lunch in terminal that consisted of sandwich, chips, pickle & cookie--purchased at Kroger and bottle of water. Boarded around 5:30 and in our cabin at 6pm. Each passenger given $20 credit. Served open dining Sun evening and welcome aboard show went on as planned. Under the circumstances, felt that RCCL handled the situation very well. Debarkation went smoothly for us--used express departure--off ship around 8am and straight through customs, walked to car at EZCruize out of parking lot and on way home by 8:45.

Archived