sleep apnea machine

closure

My fiancee has a sleep apnea machine he uses every night and will need to take it on the trip with us. Should we use that as his carry on or can that be seperate because it's medical equipment? Should I call carnival? anyone else deal with this?

Thanks!!

I've cruised 8 times and I am about to do #9 and my CPAP machine never leaves my side. I carry it on and usually carry the paperwork and passports in my CPAP bag. I would rather lose my entire bag of clothes than my CPAP because i can buy clothes on board and at the ports, a CPAP machine, not so much.

Remember to carry a small extension cord as the plug in is not near the bed.

Have a great time...

I also bring mine everywhere we travel. The airline do not count it as 1 of

you bags. TSA will usually have you remove it for inspection after it goes

through the x-ray machine. Due to limited outlets, and their location, I

highly recommend a power strip and an extention cord. The power strip

also helps with battery, camera, or cell phone chargers.

Also don't worry about distilled water. The ships water is fine to use. If

you do desire distilled water, you can either pick it up on your way to the

cruise terminal, or call Carnival in advance, the ships medical department

does have a limited supply for a small fee.

It's not the cruise line you have to worry about -- it's the TSA (Transportation and Safety Administration) and Homeland Security. Take is as a carry-on (don't risk losing it, or getting it damaged in stowed luggage!), and just declare it to the agent if/when asked. (Tell them what it is).

And yes, take an extension cord. Plugs aren't always in the most convenient of locations for things like this. Some folks also bring duct tape to tape the extension cord to the floor. Don't want to trip (or have your traveling companion trip!) in the middle of the night!

My experience is that the airlines do not question the c-PAP machine - it is counted as medical equipment and not a carry on bag.

Carnival has never even aked to open the bag - it has just been waved through to the x-ray machine.

I have read that many just use the filtered water from the tap on board ship for their water chambers - I order a jug of distilled water from room service. I do not remember the cost. I always bring my own power strip and extension cord.

During the day, I put the machine on the desk to prevent damage and place the water chamber and hoses between the layers of toweling after washing the items.

When we flew to Seattle my husband carried it on the plane. Too expense to chance leaving it as checked luggage! TSA inspected it at a seperate table, the guy even put on new gloves for sanitation purposes. I had a note from the doctor explaining what it was in case I got a naive agent, but did not need it.

On our cruise, we carried it on and it went thru xray with no problems. We brought our own distilled water onboard along with an extension cord. No problems whatsoever!

I ♥ my hubbys cpap :)

We carry it on, within a small suitcase, along with medicines, extension cord, cameras, and other valuables that should never be checked. Never did it on a plane but on any cruise ship, they don't care how many carry on bags you have. Just make sure you carry it on yourself.

Just came off the Dream Saturday. My roommate used a CPAP machine. She ordered distilled water from room service ($3.00 for gallon) and our room steward provided the extension cord after we called Guest Services. She was told at Guest Services that they preferred to provide the extension cords needed for medical equipment to ensure they were properly maintained and in good working condition (ie no tape or nicks). There was no charge for the extension cord usage.

Just came off the Dream Saturday. My roommate used a CPAP machine. She ordered distilled water from room service ($3.00 for gallon) and our room steward provided the extension cord after we called Guest Services. She was told at Guest Services that they preferred to provide the extension cords needed for medical equipment to ensure they were properly maintained and in good working condition (ie no tape or nicks). There was no charge for the extension cord usage.

My hubby's experience with Carnival's extension cord was trying to return it the last am.

Crowded!! We had to place a deposit on it which was fine. So in his CPAP bag was placed our cord which was never removed unless on a trip.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a Radiance of the Seas cruise in May 2010 and was in a junior suite with my CPap machine. There were no outlets on the side of the room where the beds and couch are located. We had to tape an extension cord across the ceiling (bring clear packing tape because the cabin steward had only scotch tape) to provide power.

Airline security asked me to remove the machine from my carry on baggage for further inspection after going through the xray machine.

The Royal Caribbean cruise line provided a gallon of free distilled water to my cabin. That was really great! :)

My mom uses a cpap. Airlines do not consider it a piece of luggage. You will have to take all of it out so it can go through xray.

You may have read about the use of power strips on another thread. utilizing an extension cord for medical reasons is perfectly acceptable. Carnival suggests that you wrap a tag around the extension cord and indicate it is for medical reasons. Keep it near the cpap. I don't think it'll fit in the case.

I didn't know that guest services would supply a cord. We'be always brought our own.

My mom has used the ship water without any reprocussions. I guess the type of water will be up to you.

Happy crusing. :)

We are sailing in 3 weeks and this is what we were told. CPAP machine no problem. Carnival is really cracking down on power strips. Our travel agent called Carnival and they noted it on our account and put down that we are allowed to have 1 powerstrip in the room. We were told to make sure it is packed with the CPAP machine as a carryon. If you put the powerstrip in the checked luggage chances are it might disappear.

Archived