Comment on safety in Merida and the Yucatan state

hdawson

MERIDA AND THE MAYAN RUINS IN YUCATAN

Fear Factor: 5

Although many people visit Chichen Itza on day-trips from Cancun, Merida is the gateway to comprehensive exploration of Uxmal and other significant Mayan ruins scattered across the state of Yucatan. Merida is a quiet, charming city, and the main ruins have well-organized tours and visitor's centers, as well as guards. In addition to hotels in Merida, the Yucatan has a number of colonial-era haciendas that have been converted into small resorts. Mayan villagers are welcoming. Here again, it's not a good idea to drive on unlighted roads at night, but central Merida's busy colonial-era streets are safe to stroll at night. "Mexico is a large country... deciding not to travel "to Mexico" because of violence is like saying you won't go to New York because of a murder in Denver," says Merida resident Ellen Fields. " Yes, there are places in Mexico where violence is on the rise. Where I live, Merida on the Yucatan Peninsula, and the nearby Mayan Riviera, has not seen this violence and is a very safe place to visit or to live."

5 is the highest safety ranking. A one would be the least safe.

hdawson, further to your comments, traveling solo as a small satured, blue eyed, blonde haired woman, I've never felt unsafe. I have traveled regularly back and forth by combi/bus to and from the neighboring village of Chicxulub into Progreso (and into Merida). This is transportation used almost exclusively by the locals. I'm always greeted with a big smile and once when I accidentally left my purse behind, was run down by a woman who was returning it. I also walk A LOT in both Merida, Chicxulub, and Progreso. I've never had a bad experience (not to say that you don't need to exercise normal precautions!). I find that most people really want to help you and are extremely friendly. The only reason that I ever feel uneasy is because I don't speak much of the language and worry that I'll end up in a situation that I can't handle, but it hasn't happened yet!

I had a deep fried fish at Le Saint Bonnet the other day and thought of you! It was yummy! I'm so glad that you are doing your part in educating people about the area.

Kristin

Kristin. I have really enjoyed introducing folks to a Mexico they may not know. If I were younger and someother if's I would think of moving to Merida. I've made a couple of trips to Merida as a solo traveler, and like you, never the slightest problem. Same for outings to Santa Elaina, Ticul and Campeche. Social security doesn't allow for alot of travel except to Myrtle Beach, off season of course.

Archived