Belize Zoo Review

cruisergrandma

We recently returned from the Carnival Miracle. One of our ports was Belize. This was our 5th trip to Belize. Three times previously we had done the cave tubing and it was great but, we wanted to do something different. At the dock we found Griffith Eusey with syesue adventures. We booked a zoo and city tour. There were 5 of us and we had our own private tour. We got a great city tour on the way out of town. Griffith is a local and is very knowledgeable about his country. The zoo is small and receives no government funding. All of the animals are native to Belize. We really enjoyed looking around and Griffith even gave us information on each of the animals. As we got close to the Jaguars we were offered a special opportunity. For a small additional fee we were allowed to get up close and personal with a Jaguar named Jr. We were placed inside a small cage inside his enclosure. He rubs against the cage so you can touch him. He then jumps on top of the cage and the trainer shows you how to get kissed by Jr. It was wonderful and well worth the extra money. The employees thanked us over and over for coming and supporting their zoo. They do not offer this extra treat to large groups as only about 5-6 people can get in the inner cage at a time. On the way back to port our city tour continued. I do believe this was my favorite trip to Belize and my favorite tour. I highly recommend Griffith.

We recently returned from the Carnival Miracle. One of our ports was Belize. This was our 5th trip to Belize. Three times previously we had done the cave tubing and it was great but, we wanted to do something different. At the dock we found Griffith Eusey with syesue adventures. We booked a zoo and city tour. There were 5 of us and we had our own private tour. We got a great city tour on the way out of town. Griffith is a local and is very knowledgeable about his country. The zoo is small and receives no government funding. All of the animals are native to Belize. We really enjoyed looking around and Griffith even gave us information on each of the animals. As we got close to the Jaguars we were offered a special opportunity. For a small additional fee we were allowed to get up close and personal with a Jaguar named Jr. We were placed inside a small cage inside his enclosure. He rubs against the cage so you can touch him. He then jumps on top of the cage and the trainer shows you how to get kissed by Jr. It was wonderful and well worth the extra money. The employees thanked us over and over for coming and supporting their zoo. They do not offer this extra treat to large groups as only about 5-6 people can get in the inner cage at a time. On the way back to port our city tour continued. I do believe this was my favorite trip to Belize and my favorite tour. I highly recommend Griffith.

Being placed in a cage in a cage with a live jaguar- seems dangeroues at best-lets be careful-if i can reach out, i bet the Jag can reach in.

You are perfectly safe. Grid on the cage is small. Jaguar paws are huge and can't reach in.

After really doing my research about Belize, I have to admit I'm nervous about Belize City. But, I'd love to see the zoo, and I don't fancy going with the ships' tour (too many people).

Would you mind giving me more details about your tour please?

Where did you meet your guide (inside or outside the main gate)?

Did you pay in advance or when you got there?

What type of vehicle were you in?

Did you drive through Belize City or around it?

What time did the tour start and end?

How long did it take to get to the zoo?

Did you remain in the vehicle and drive the zoo, or did you walk through it?

Were you given water during the tour?

How long were you at the zoo itself?

What time did you get back to the port?

Did you have any time to buy souveniers?

Any other details would be appreciated.

Karen in Kentucky

Hi Karen,

We really loved the tour. We met Griffith inside the gate. He was just to the left of Diamonds International. We paid at the end of the tour. We were in a mini van. There were 5 of us and we had plenty of room. We drove all through Belize City. The tour started as soon as we contacted Griffith. We were back in plenty of time to shop and still be back on ship over an hour before sail time. It's hard to say how long it took to get to the zoo since he was giving us a tour all the way there - including a good bit of town. I think he said it was 30 miles out of town? We walked through the zoo. We were not given water but, we took some off the ship. I'm sure he would have stopped for us to get water if we had asked. We were probably at the zoo a couple of hours. We did shop for souveniers when we returned to port. He parked and let us out at the small flea market just outside the gate. We had been there before and that is where we wanted to go. I am sure he would drop you at the gate if you want and you could shop inside the gated area. One of the people with us wanted to purchase some Cashew wine. He stopped at a local grocer and she paid about half of the cost of the same wine at the port. Entrance cost to the zoo is included in your fare. If you go be sure to ask about getting into the inner cage with Junior. Griffith was raised in Belize City so he knows all of the information. On the trip back he took us downtown - just over the swing bridge. He showed us several locations that were listed on a walking tour I had printed out and I am sure he would customize the tour any way you wanted it. Being in a small van we could see areas that are not accessible in a large bus like Carnival's tours.

We are platinum so we were on the first tender - with those on the Carnival tours. We had originally booked with another local tour guide and we waited an hour for him. At the end of the hour, when he still had not arrived, we started looking around and found Griffith. Here is Griffith's email syesue_bz@yahoo.com. I know you will enjoy the tour.

Hi Karen,

We really loved the tour. We met Griffith inside the gate. He was just to the left of Diamonds International. We paid at the end of the tour. We were in a mini van. There were 5 of us and we had plenty of room. We drove all through Belize City. The tour started as soon as we contacted Griffith. We were back in plenty of time to shop and still be back on ship over an hour before sail time. It's hard to say how long it took to get to the zoo since he was giving us a tour all the way there - including a good bit of town. I think he said it was 30 miles out of town? We walked through the zoo. We were not given water but, we took some off the ship. I'm sure he would have stopped for us to get water if we had asked. We were probably at the zoo a couple of hours. We did shop for souveniers when we returned to port. He parked and let us out at the small flea market just outside the gate. We had been there before and that is where we wanted to go. I am sure he would drop you at the gate if you want and you could shop inside the gated area. One of the people with us wanted to purchase some Cashew wine. He stopped at a local grocer and she paid about half of the cost of the same wine at the port. Entrance cost to the zoo is included in your fare. If you go be sure to ask about getting into the inner cage with Junior. Griffith was raised in Belize City so he knows all of the information. On the trip back he took us downtown - just over the swing bridge. He showed us several locations that were listed on a walking tour I had printed out and I am sure he would customize the tour any way you wanted it. Being in a small van we could see areas that are not accessible in a large bus like Carnival's tours.

We are platinum so we were on the first tender - with those on the Carnival tours. We had originally booked with another local tour guide and we waited an hour for him. At the end of the hour, when he still had not arrived, we started looking around and found Griffith. Here is Griffith's email syesue_bz@yahoo.com. I know you will enjoy the tour.

Many thanks for all of the details. They were perfect!!!! Karen

• 4 months later...

if I would be comfortable, on this tour,,alone,,hubby going ziplining,,and have contacted other private tours,,but all need 2 people to sign up,,would love to go with a group,,,

ship not offering this tour,,,not interested in trying to do it on own,,,and feel a little intimidated about Belize on own....:confused:

• 4 years later...

We had Griffith as well. He is phenomenal. I wish we'd had more to tip him. He was so incredibly knowledgable and intelligent. He was respectful, gentle and kind to our whole party. I've searched for months for his contact info to thank him personally. So glad I found it. Two thumbs up for this tour guide. He is well worth the $$$.

if I would be comfortable, on this tour,,alone,,hubby going ziplining,,and have contacted other private tours,,but all need 2 people to sign up,,would love to go with a group,,,

ship not offering this tour,,,not interested in trying to do it on own,,,and feel a little intimidated about Belize on own....:confused:

I spend a lot of time in Belize scuba diving and the Belizean people are wonderful. However, the unemployment rate in Belize City is very high and the people think we all have lots of money so they're aggressive salespeople. I would not walk around alone outside the tourist village but with two or more you're okay within a few blocks.

Personally I have been very impressed with Island Adventures, Inc. when it comes to touring. I used them for ziplining (which you obviously don't want to do) earlier this month and they had many other options as well. I urge you to consider an excursion because Belize is a truly beautiful place with lovely people. Your tour will drive through Belize City and you have absolutely nothing to worry about in that respect.

Another thought is you could go to your ship's roll call and find out about some of the tours those people are taking. You might want to add yourself to one of their tours and then you won't have the two people minimum problem. I have had great trips traveling solo within a group.

We used Belize Exotic Adventures (not to be confused with Exotic Eco Adventures) and they were terrific. Very professional and knowledgeable, and they kept us away from the crowds. I can't recommend them highly enough.

We did their zoo and cave tubing tour. Word of warning, though: If you go to the zoo, be sure to use bug spray. They have botlass flies which don't carry disease, but itch like crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comment on the tour companies since the lodge we stayed at took us to the zoo, but I thought I'd add a couple things about the zoo. It was a nice little zoo. They have nice little exhibits with a strong conservation message and the animals native to Belize. We actually saw a wild agouti running around while we were there too. You may also want to consider one of the extra add-ons once there. For $5 you can feed the tapirs - you get a bucket of carrots and your whole group can pat and feed them. They were really cute and seemed to love the attention. For $5 per person, you can also high five one of the jaguars. I didn't find this to be quite as cool since the keeper feeds them and you just touch their paw, but many others really enjoy this. Also- to answer the question above- their paw cannot get in the cage with you (too big), but I'd be careful putting my hand out first since their nails do get through as they put their paw on the cage and would probably hurt a lot if they accientally hit you.