Portable Oxygen question

My mom needs to be on oxygen, but just at night. Since she won't need oxygen on the plane...I am wondering if there is a way to have it shipped to FL?

I should tell you...we will be flying down a few days early to spend time with family, so I am guessing having it shipped to my brothers house wouldn't be an issue? But my concern would be, what would we do with it after leaving the ship?

It just seems like it would be a hassle to go through all the requirements of the airlines & transporting it, if she won't even need it.

I read somewhere on here that some Oxygen suppliers will deliver them right to the ship...does anyone have any additional info on that?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this will be the first time for her traveling since being on oxygen AND her first cruise! so we're both a bit nervous!

My mom needs to be on oxygen, but just at night. Since she won't need oxygen on the plane...I am wondering if there is a way to have it shipped to FL?

I should tell you...we will be flying down a few days early to spend time with family, so I am guessing having it shipped to my brothers house wouldn't be an issue? But my concern would be, what would we do with it after leaving the ship?

It just seems like it would be a hassle to go through all the requirements of the airlines & transporting it, if she won't even need it.

I read somewhere on here that some Oxygen suppliers will deliver them right to the ship...does anyone have any additional info on that?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this will be the first time for her traveling since being on oxygen AND her first cruise! so we're both a bit nervous!

If I understand, you are flying from A to B, spending a few days in B, then taking a cruise roundtrip from B back to B, then flying home to A. Is that right? And you are thinking about having the POC shipped to brother's house in B, using it on the cruise, then shipping it back. From working with Oxygen to Go you could ship it to brother's house use it there and on the ship, taking the shipping container with you then find a Fed Ex before getting back on the plane and ship it back from B.

If you work with a supplier that works with the cruise line you are going on they will arrange to have it delivered to your cabin, however, that does not help your mother at night while she is staying at brother's house.

One question I have is, have you considered that your mother might need oxygen on the plane? My DH has emphysema and can be fine on the ground, but once he gets above 3000 feet in altitude he doesn't get enough oxygen. Since planes are only pressurized to the equivalent of about 7000-8000 ft. altitude the oxygen can get pretty thin. Just a thought.

I am also a night-time oxygen user (via the concentrator unit). When cruising, I rent from one of the approved cruiseship vendors (I've used Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations). In my case, I'm okayed for 1-2 nights without the oxygen, so I just have the oxygen delivered to the ship where it is waiting in my cabin. At the end of the cruise, I leave it there and the oxygen provider picks it up from the ship.

I believe these companies can also have it delivered to your hotel for an added fee. It also may be possible for your brother to pick it up somewhere, but you'd need to discuss that with the company. In that case, I think that you would have to deal with the machine yourself.

I receive the full-sized "home" units when doing this ... not the smaller portable units. When dealing with this issue, you need to know if you need a continuous flow unit. Only 1 or 2 of the portable units operate on continuous flow.

I have not needed oxygen on the plane. My issue seems to be directly related to my saturation levels during sleep.

thank you so much for your replies!

My mom talked to Oxygen To Go today & they were sooo helpful. I think we figured it out...

kind of what marelind suggested...they are going to ship it to my brother's home and we will take it on the cruise with us and then upon returning my brother graciously offered to meet us at the airport before our flight (we have a late afternoon flight so there should be plenty of time) to pick it up and he will ship it back! Plus we will get to say good bye again before heading home:(

Oh, and you make a good point about the oxygen levels on planes...we were concerned about that too. But my mom's dr doesn't feel, in her case, that it's necessary.

Thanks again for the replies...it's so comforting hearing other's have done this without a problem...I tend to be a worry-wart!

Thanks again for the replies...it's so comforting hearing other's have done this without a problem...I tend to be a worry-wart!

Not a worry-wart... seeking to be informed through others' experience! That's a high level functioning skill! :D

DH also needs oxygen, via concentrator, at night. Our local provider, Lincare, will have a concentrator delivered to our hotel (for pre- and post-cruise stays or for any other vacation stays) at no charge. Care Vacations (the only company approved by NCL by the way) will have a concentrator delivered to your stateroom no later than 2:00 p.m. the day of sailing and will pick it up on your disembarkment day. We've used them three times on Princess and the service was excellent. Have already made arrangements for our back-to-back NCL Jewel cruises from New York on May 8.

Have a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
DH also needs oxygen, via concentrator, at night. Our local provider, Lincare, will have a concentrator delivered to our hotel (for pre- and post-cruise stays or for any other vacation stays) at no charge. Care Vacations (the only company approved by NCL by the way) will have a concentrator delivered to your stateroom no later than 2:00 p.m. the day of sailing and will pick it up on your disembarkment day. We've used them three times on Princess and the service was excellent. Have already made arrangements for our back-to-back NCL Jewel cruises from New York on May 8.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Greetings!

How much does Care Vacations charge for the concentrator? I will be cruising from NY in November on NCL and will need to rent one as well.

Since we are driving to port, I was toying with the idea of bringing my own from home. I take it with me when I visit my daughter out of state.

I'm just not sure about getting it through security?? I wonder if it's even feasible.

Have a wonderful cruise

B4andAFT

We paid Care Vacations $325 in March for a 10 day cruise. They do sometimes run specials so it would be best to check with them. I answered the rest of your question about bringing on you own home concentrator on the other thread about portable oxygen concentrators.

Carol

Greetings!

How much does Care Vacations charge for the concentrator? I will be cruising from NY in November on NCL and will need to rent one as well.

Since we are driving to port, I was toying with the idea of bringing my own from home. I take it with me when I visit my daughter out of state.

I'm just not sure about getting it through security?? I wonder if it's even feasible.

Have a wonderful cruise

For our NCL Jewel 14 days out of New York, the cost is $245. You cannot bring your own full size concentrator on the ship.

Is the oxygen concentrator rented from Care Vacations portable? In other words, can one take it with them to walk from one area of the ship to another? Or is it only for in-cabin use?

I know you can get a portable one from Special Needs at Sea. It is a SeQual. It provides both continuous flow up to 3 LPM and Pulse up to 6. Don't know about Care Vacations but I suspect they have them as well.

Cheers

Marelind

Care Vacations does have a few Sequal's, but they are hard to get and the price they quoted me in February was more than what Oxygen to go charged... $490 for 2 weeks which included shipping.

Carol

Actually, what we did is rent a "Stationary" machine from Special Needs at Sea for use in the Suite and also a portable one for port and around the ship from our home supplier that they did not charge us extra for. This has a not so secondary effect of having a back up machine. :D

Cheers

Archived