San Diego sightseeing with cast on leg

My dh and I are going to spend 2 days in San Diego after a cruise at the end of this month. I unforunately, tore my ligament kickboxing (whole nother story) and so we need suggestions to be able to see stuff without alot of walking. We have never been to San Diego before

thank you so much

It sort of depends what a "lot" of walking means for your condition...200 feet, 1 mile with rest stops, etc. Also, what are you interested in seeing and doing?

My first reaction is to try to get a handicapped placard from your home DMV, and bring it along. California honors other states' placards. You can get close-in parking at the museums in Balboa Park, the Zoo, etc. If you can't get a placard, get dropped off at the entrances to places while someone parks the car.

The Zoo and Sea World involve a lot of walking, but there are a lot of benches, trams, or you could get a wheelchair to get around easier. Old Town and strolling around Balboa Park require a lot of walking.

Are you taking a wheelchair with you (highly recommended for getting around on the ship and ports)? You cannot use the ship's wheelchairs while on board.

You can also rent a scooter or manual wheelchair at the Zoo (just inside the entrance) as there is a lot of walking there. You can get a wheelchair onto the regular tour bus at the Zoo. There are a lot of steep roads and canyons at the Zoo, and it can be difficult even with a scooter. In a manual wheelchair you would need help, and crutches alone are not very practical. If you arrive in a wheelchair, and claim to need help, your companion is allowed in for free with your paid admission.

If you rent a car, you can take the 59 Mile scenic drive and get out of the car only to see what you want to see. Bring a light weight folding wheelchair (NOT a "travel" or "companion" wheelchair) that will go in the trunk. The museums in Balboa Park are all accessible and for the most part this area of the Park is level. Cabrillo Monument is accessible (except for the lighthouse) and so is the Birch Aquarium. City buses are also accessible (lift or kneeling) as is the San Diego Trolley (light rail).

Taking a trolley tour might be a good idea. I lived in San Diego for 5 years and go there quite often still but still enjoy taking the trolley tour once in awhile. Not seeing your post now so not sure where you are staying but the trolley takes you to Seaport Village, Gas Lamp District in downtown San Diego area, Coronado, Zoo/Balboa park area, Old Town, etc. It is a nice overview of all the different sections of San Diego and you can hop off if you like. Or, since you have mobility issues you could take the tour to get a feel of what you might like and then go back to a specific area if you have a wheelchair and do additional exploring.

The problem with the Old Town Trolley tours in a wheelchair is that they STRONGLY discourage you from getting off at all, and you must then wait for another accessible trolley (most are not) to reboard and continuing traveling along the route. If you just plan to ride the 2.5 hour route and not get off at all, it is pretty manageable. You also have to make reservations for the accessible trolley at least 24 hours in advance.

The San Diego Trolley (light rail) is accessible at all stations, but goes to very limited tourist locations.

If you have a wheel chair (or rent one there) Seaworld is very doable. I have done the pushing many times there and it is not hard at all. I took someone to the zoo in a wheel chair once and only once, it was really hard because of the hills.

Jen in SoCal

My dh and I are going to spend 2 days in San Diego after a cruise at the end of this month. I unforunately, tore my ligament kickboxing (whole nother story) and so we need suggestions to be able to see stuff without alot of walking. We have never been to San Diego before

thank you so much

If you have a wheel chair (or rent one there) Seaworld is very doable. I have done the pushing many times there and it is not hard at all. I took someone to the zoo in a wheel chair once and only once, it was really hard because of the hills.

Jen in SoCal

Not a problem if you use the free wheelchair van shuttle around the Zoo.

Archived