Train from Rome to Venice

gracebest

We are planning to take the train in June from Rome to Venice. I noticed on the train's website that there is a 15% or 30% discount for booking 15 or 30 days in advance. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am kind of confused by the information on the site. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

American credit cards do not seem to work on the Italian rail site http://www.trenitalia.com

I have heard stories that some people have had success with debit cards but that is only hearsay.

I think that it is only American Express cards that don't work. I just successfully purchased tickets for Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice (we're stopping over) using a canadian issued Mastercard

American credit cards do not seem to work on the Italian rail site http://www.trenitalia.com

I have heard stories that some people have had success with debit cards but that is only hearsay.

I bought train tickets from Venice to Florence and Florence to Rome in Feb and used my Discover card without any problems. I used raileurope.com and found the site relatively easy to use, just double check which train station you want to use. I can't remember about the discount. I received my tickets via UPS with free shipping and handling within a week. The fare is 80% refundable up to 3 days before date of travel, which gave me a little comfort just in case I had to cancel. Our friends recently returned from Italy and suggested we travel 1st class on the train rather than 2nd, so that is what we booked. We leave for Italy in 3 weeks. :)

I bought train tickets from Venice to Florence and Florence to Rome in Feb and used my Discover card without any problems. I used raileurope.com and found the site relatively easy to use

The issue is with the Trenitalia site, not the rail europe one. Typically resellers like rail europe charge additional fees that make the tickets more expensive than buying direct from Trenitalia. However, for folks who aren't comfortable unless they have their tickets purchased, a reseller may be the only option if Trenitalia won't accept your credit card.

The issue is with the Trenitalia site, not the rail europe one. Typically resellers like rail europe charge additional fees that make the tickets more expensive than buying direct from Trenitalia. However, for folks who aren't comfortable unless they have their tickets purchased, a reseller may be the only option if Trenitalia won't accept your credit card.

That is correct -- I am referring to the Trenitalia site.

If your credit card won't work, the only other option I can come up with is to look at rail europe and what they want for the ticket, then compare that with buying it at full fare once you get to Italy. I've got a feeling that it may be a wash, financially.

I've never had a problem buying train tickets the day of a trip in Italy. If you are in the country a few days before, any train station or any travel agent with the Trenitalia logo in their window (which is just about every travel agent, as far as I have seen) can sell you the tickets.

If, on the other hand, you won't feel comfortable unless you have your tickets before leaving home, rail europe may be your best choice. A friend of mine got her US based credit card to work on Trenitalia about six months ago, but it's really a hit-or-miss kind of thing.

We planned on buying our tickets as we go. It sounds like this should not be an issue. Has anyone ever had difficulty purchasing their tickets on the day of travel or had to change plans because they could not get on the train they wanted (aside from the strike issue)?

If your credit card won't work, the only other option I can come up with is to look at rail europe and what they want for the ticket, then compare that with buying it at full fare once you get to Italy. I've got a feeling that it may be a wash, financially.

I've never had a problem buying train tickets the day of a trip in Italy. If you are in the country a few days before, any train station or any travel agent with the Trenitalia logo in their window (which is just about every travel agent, as far as I have seen) can sell you the tickets.

If, on the other hand, you won't feel comfortable unless you have your tickets before leaving home, rail europe may be your best choice. A friend of mine got her US based credit card to work on Trenitalia about six months ago, but it's really a hit-or-miss kind of thing.

Thanks for all of the information. I wasn't really worried about buying the tickets when we get there. I just thought that if we were able to buy them 30 days in advance from Trenitalia and save the 30% that we would do that.

We planned on buying our tickets as we go. It sounds like this should not be an issue. Has anyone ever had difficulty purchasing their tickets on the day of travel or had to change plans because they could not get on the train they wanted (aside from the strike issue)?

Once, in nine years, we had to wait one hour for the next train so we could get a number of seats together. Other than that, I've never had a problem buying only moments before traveling.

I have heard that on certain very popular lines, trains will sell out before major holidays. That makes sense, as it is impossible here to buy a train ticket between New York and Boston, or New York and DC, right before Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Once, in nine years, we had to wait one hour for the next train so we could get a number of seats together. Other than that, I've never had a problem buying only moments before traveling.

I have heard that on certain very popular lines, trains will sell out before major holidays. That makes sense, as it is impossible here to buy a train ticket between New York and Boston, or New York and DC, right before Thanksgiving or Christmas.

That was going to be my caveat. We generally didn't have a problem buying walk-ups... however, last December/January in Portugal, we did have an issue traveling between Lisbon and Porto.

Schedules appear to have been trimmed back (probably because of the economy) and trains were more crowded than we'd remembered them being. We were unable to buy tickets for a seat together and had to take the more expensive IR train rather than the less expensive IC train because the IC trains were ALL sold out for the day.

If it's a weekend, especially around a holiday, booking ahead might not be a bad idea. Also if that's around the time that universities get out for the year (I don't know off-hand what the European academic schedule is) booking ahead is doubly a good idea. We were traveling when students were returning for exams from Christmas break and trains that passed through Coimbra (Portugal's major university town) were JAMMED with students traveling back to school.

OTOH, the train heading back to Lisbon was empty. I think there were 4 other people in our carriage for the whole trip.

~Fianna

We were traveling when students were returning for exams from Christmas break and trains that passed through Coimbra (Portugal's major university town) were JAMMED with students traveling back to school.

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that. Several years ago my best friend and I traveled from Paris to Nancy, France, after the Easter break. The train was standing room only, with barely enough room to stand, all the way from Paris to the university city, jammed with kids going back to school (including my Goddaughter, whom we were there to visit).

We used Trenitalia's website a bunch while planning our trip to Europe last year. We could not get the site to authorize the purchase for us until finally we changed the number of tickets to 1. So, if you have your heart set on getting those tickets early, and you can't get the website to work otherwise, try purchasing the tickets one at a time. Be warned though, that by doing this you may not get seats right next to each other (but, unless the train is full, you MAY be able to get others to move so you can sit next to each other).

• 1 month later...

Need an opinion on taking the train from Rome to Venice.

In August we are leaving on a cruise from Venice. Pre-cruise we are planning to stay a couple of days in Rome and take the train to Venice on the embarkation date. Taking the 2nd train in the day around 8:45am to arrive around 12:45 pm.

I understand that there are potentials for delays using the train. From past experience has anyone experienced long delays taking the train. Do I need to leave Rome 1 day in advance to be safe.

What is the recommendation?

Need an opinion on taking the train from Rome to Venice.

In August we are leaving on a cruise from Venice. Pre-cruise we are planning to stay a couple of days in Rome and take the train to Venice on the embarkation date. Taking the 2nd train in the day around 8:45am to arrive around 12:45 pm.

I understand that there are potentials for delays using the train. From past experience has anyone experienced long delays taking the train. Do I need to leave Rome 1 day in advance to be safe.

What is the recommendation?

We took the same train lsat year and had no problem

Thanks for the recommendations.

Decision made.

Now to see if I am able to book on the website.

Don't even bother to pre-purchase. Tickets are for specific seats, in a specific car and on a specific date. Wait till you get to Rome and are absolutely certain of your plans. You might decide on an earlier train.

I have a different question about traveling from Venice to Rome or vice versa: Is carrying a large suitcase on wheels difficult to get on and off the train car? I want to stay several days in one city before going to the other, so obviously, I can't do the luggage valet that Crysta Cruises offers unless I exclude the city that is not on my cruise itinerary. Now, I do not have any idea which direction I will be going because 2012 itineraries are not out yet, but I know I will start or end at one of those cities and then go to the other by train.

Also speaking of credit cards, I read many vendors in Europe do not accept them at all so apparently, even my MasterCard will not work either. Should I exchange for euros to pay with cash?

A few suggestions: we were just in Rome last month after a cruise, and also did Rome to Venice. First of all, after checking schedules and prices, we ended up flying there on Easyjet. Only 41E RT. However the RT train to FCO (Rome) airport added another 30E. Venice airport transportation (just go out front, take express bus #5) is only a small amount. When you get to Piazza Roma bus terminal, take the water taxi to your hotel area, it goes all the way to St. Marks. If backpacking, it is also easy to walk (if you have a good map!)

Now, what to do with all that cruise luggage, that you won't want in Venice - we stayed a night at a the little B&B Giovy near the train station. The owner, Giovanna, stored our luggage for the 3 nights we were in Venice, and then we stayed there a few nights when we returned.

I highly recommend B&B Giovy (100E) check it out on Tripadvisor.

In Venice, we loved Hotel Mercurio (they have a website). Pay the extra 10E (110E total), and ask for a 1st floor room above the canal - its amazing!

Archived