FYI: Answer to Steakhouse Tips Question

Solo1959

[quote name='CCLCM']They never said that any of the $30 goes to the servers, they just said that tipping in not a requirement.[/quote]
Actually, they DO say that. "The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, desert and the wait staffs' gratuity." [[URL]http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/obx/dining/supper-club.htm][/URL].

It actually states that it includes the gratuity, it doesn't say that tips are optional.

Of course, anyone who feels like paying extra is willing to do so. There's no prohibition against paying extra for the cruise fare, either. Carnival, I'm sure, would be happy to accept any extra money you wanted to pay on top of the cruise fare.

But it is already included. Any extra tip you leave is EXTRA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]golfadj[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24399885#post24399885"][IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]I do not believe you for a second. Not the way they do business.[/I]

In what way?
[quote name='CCLCM']In what way?[/quote]

When you say the servers do not get a tip out of the $ 30 service charge. There is too much evidence to the contrary so I believe you are full of it!

[quote name='KruznKel']Tipping is up to you for the service received.. we always tip $20 extra for the 2 of us.. that is if the service is outstanding.. which for us it always has been;)[/quote]
This is exactly what dh and I do. :D

[quote name='MrPete']Not the point, and agree. I assume you give your MDR servers an additional $10 to $20 per dinner as well?[/quote]

Are you getting an upscale service in the Specialty restaurant that is different than the MDR? Most likely not. The food is better, but the service staff is doing the same job. Giving an extra tip, in the amount of $10.00 per person, can amount to a total tip, based on the meal selection any where from 25% to over 50%. So anyone that wants to give that kind of tip, should do it across the board, and hopefully they do.

[quote name='golfadj']Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]golfadj[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24399885#post24399885"][IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]

In what way?

When you say the servers do not get a tip out of the $ 30 service charge. There is too much evidence to the contrary so I believe you are full of it![/QUOTE]
I promise you I am not. What is this "too much evidence" one sentince on a website that was written by a guy in the Miami office who has probably never set foot on a ship?

Look at it this way, every time that someone in a tipping position recieves a gratuity, Carnival tells you exactly how much it is. Every time you get a drink from the bar the gratuity is on the reciept. When you pay $10ppd you know exactly how much is going to each person. There's nothing that says this in the steak house. Why? Because the servers don't get anything from the charge.

I love all the insults, it's really great. Especially when I am telling the truth. I don't know why this is so hard to believe.

In what way?

When you say the servers do not get a tip out of the $ 30 service charge. There is too much evidence to the contrary so I believe you are full of it![quote name='CCLCM']I promise you I am not. What is this "too much evidence" one sentince on a website that was written by a guy in the Miami office who has probably never set foot on a ship?

Look at it this way, every time that someone in a tipping position recieves a gratuity, Carnival tells you exactly how much it is. Every time you get a drink from the bar the gratuity is on the reciept. When you pay $10ppd you know exactly how much is going to each person. There's nothing that says this in the steak house. Why? Because the servers don't get anything from the charge.

I love all the insults, it's really great. Especially when I am telling the truth. I don't know why this is so hard to believe.[/quote]

For one reason I do not believe you Carnival says the tip is included in the service charge. Second reason John Heald says the same thing.

Why would we believe you and think they are lying to us?

I do think that it is absurd that Carnival will not tell us how much of the $ 30 is the tip though.

What motivation would I have for lying?

Besides as we all know, giant multibillion dollar corporations are always upfront and honest about everything...

Can you tell me exactly what John Heald said?

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Havingfun2010']Are you getting an upscale service in the Specialty restaurant that is different than the MDR? Most likely not. The food is better, but the service staff is doing the same job. Giving an extra tip, in the amount of $10.00 per person, can amount to a total tip, based on the meal selection any where from 25% to over 50%. So anyone that wants to give that kind of tip, should do it across the board, and hopefully they do.[/quote]

As I said earlier, yes, the food is higher quality (should we tip the chef? :eek:), but they don't deliver the food to me any differently that makes my wallet want to open up.

Even Carnival has cheapened the experience by eliminating the live musical duo.

Just wanted to say we went down to customer services and asked if the 30 dollars per person was including the tip and they said NO you have to add the tip at the end...

So you do have ( if you want to ) the tip at the end..

What is so difficult to understand? :confused:

Per Carnival:

[COLOR=red][B][I]The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrées, desert[/I][/B] [COLOR=black](sic)[/COLOR][B][I] [U]and the wait staffs' gratuity[/U]; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='ann41']Just wanted to say we went down to customer services and asked if the 30 dollars per person was including the tip and they said NO you have to add the tip at the end... [/quote]
Either:

1. They outright lied. (unlikely)

2. They didn't have a clue and just made up an answer on the spot that they thought sounded good just to be able to give you an answer. (likely)

[quote name='Solo1959']Either:

2. They didn't have a clue and just made up an answer on the spot that they thought sounded good just to be able to give you an answer. (likely)[/quote]

Either way, they got extra cash out of someone. I must try that sometime.

[quote name='MrPete']As I said earlier, yes, the food is higher quality (should we tip the chef? :eek:),

[COLOR=Red]And if I had a better time on this vacation than I did on a previous vacation, should I offer Carnival Corp. some extra money at the end of the cruise? Of course not.[/COLOR]

but they don't deliver the food to me any differently that makes my wallet want to open up.

[COLOR=Red]And the service is very slow. It takes hours to finish the meal.[/COLOR][/quote]
You and I apparently don't believe that it is necessary to throw money around just because we're on vacation. We'll pay and tip as appropriate, but we won't just stand around with a wad of bills handing them out to everybody that approaches us.

Either:

2. They didn't have a clue and just made up an answer on the spot that they thought sounded good just to be able to give you an answer. (likely)

Post 114 is a copy of Carnival's printed information. Better than listening to some doofus clerk. Any company, it only takes a few minutes to read their printed info online, rather than listen to poorly trained clerks who's minds are full of the own agendas while they are supposed to be learning their jobs.

But I'm having a hard time forming a firm opinion on the subject!:D

You and I apparently don't believe that it is necessary to throw money around just because we're on vacation. We'll pay and tip as appropriate, but we won't just stand around with a wad of bills handing them out to everybody that approaches us.

I walk around with my Platinum card afixed to my forehead. :D

It's too early for popcorn, but it's certainly interesting to see this thread resurrected. I can't imagine, for the life of me, why Mr. Pete would go back two months and give this thread new life.

If you're willing to pay $30 per person, over and above what you've already paid for a very good meal in the MDR, then why should you worry about an extra $5, $10 or $20 more for EXTRA gratuity?

Pay the extra, or don't pay the extra! Be happy and enjoy your cruise.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Those four 8d nails affixing it to your head must sting a bit, no?:rolleyes::D

No more nails. THEY HURT!

I use that blue putty crap. It was hard getting the area below my widows peak flat, though.

Archived