Island Princess, Hawaii, Past Cruisers

ho

We are sailing on the Island Princess in April and have never been to Hawaii. We looked through the Excursions and decided to book the following. Has anyone ever done any of these and if so how was it? Thanks for your help,

Hilo - Kilauea Volcano

Kona - Kahua Ranch ATV Adventure

Lahaina - Haleakala Crater

Kauai - Waimea Canyon & Wailua River

Honolulu - Arizona and Mo on our own.

Thanks again

You will enjoy all of those shore excursions. The only thing that scares me is, the Lahaina Haleakela Crater. Are you doing it with the ships shore excursions? Or are you doing it on your own? This is at least an 8 hour excursion, I wonder if you will have time. Also in order to really get the full beneift of the Haleakela Crater you must really go up there early in the morning before sun rise.

I have never been on a cruise to Hawaii, but we do go to Maui once a year for over 30 some years so I am familiar with the area.

Thanks Charlene,

We are doing everything with the ships excursions. We were thinking about doing a couple on our own but had the same concern. The only one we are now doing on our own is the Arizona and Mo.

We are thinking of booking the 15 day Hawaii cruise in February 2006. We've been to Hawaii a number of times but think this would be a really nice way to do it again. I have a couple of questions for past cruisers to Hawaii from the West coast. There are a lot of sea days 4 over and 4 back - how rough are the seas? Any idea how many formal nights and is it black tie formal or more island attire? It doesn't really matter but am curious to know. Thanks!

We were on that cruise in October and did most of the same things you are thinking. We did the ship's excursions, because we didn't want to hassle with renting a car. We did the all day tour in Hilo that includes the volcano and a few other stops. It also includes a buffet lunch at the crater that is really pretty good. Our favorite was the Kahua ranch ATV adventure in Kona. It was so much fun, and the views are incredible. We did do the organized tour for the Arizona and Mighty Mo, but you can easily do it on your own.

Oops sorry, there are 3 formal nights. We saw people dressed all kinds of ways, but most were formal. We went in October, and the seas were pretty calm on the way over, but we had a few bumpy days on the way back. It was also pretty cool on the way back. For me, I wouldn't go on this cruise anytime after 11/1 if you want to lie out by the pool on the sea days.

Last November, on the return trip home, the pools were drained because of high seas. A number of people commented about water splashing on the Dolphin balconies. In the Princess Theater, ladies were holding on to the seats walking down the aisle. One person joked that he had never saw so many tipsy women.

Archived