Alaska with a 2 year old

gkrnjlr

We're taking a closed circuit cruise to Alaska - so we know we don't NEED passports. My husband and I have a passport, but our 2 year old does not. We have a rental car reserved in Skagway and were told that we'd need our passports to get back in the country. When talking to the reservation rep located IN Skagway, AK, he mentioned that all we'd need is her birth certificate.

I don't mind getting the passcard/passport, but they're only good for 5 years, and both my husband and I have to go apply for it together - with her! So....it'd take some scheduling to get us off work and such to get this done.

Also - I assume that they'd tell us BEFORE we left that we'd need it to get back, right? Has anyone else been to Alaska and only needed their child's birth certificate, instead of a passcard/passport?

Thanks!

As long as you stay on the US side of the pass, you should be fine. I hear there are some nice sights up across the border, and if you wanted to check them out, then yes, you'd need a passport or card. But there also seems to be plenty to do on the Alaskan side, and you wouldn't need a passport for that.

Our local post office will do passport applications on Saturdays until they close at noon. Could be an easy way for you to get your child's passport without time off work, and in my opinion it's better to have one - why be limited on vacation to sightseeing on just one side of the border when you could do both?

We're going to Alaska with our three year old. Wish you were on our ship so they could play.

I wouldn't chance going without a passport for your daughter. That would be your her only proof of ID.

If you and DH would have a hard time of going together, one of you can take her with a noterized letter.

Oh wouldn't that be great if we were on the same sailing! My daughter is very easygoing and makes friends easily but sometimes has a hard time when we leave. I'm hoping we won't have issues like that when we are on the ship. Maybe she'll enjoy going to play every so often and make a friend or two.

As for the passport......I think we're going to end up going on a Saturday to get it. I need to find out which one of our post offices here will do that on a weekend. We'll probably just do the passcard. Thanks for that bit of info. I forgot about that as an option.

IF we don't get it....has anyone been there where you can tell me if there's someone at the border that will tell us "don't go past this point without a passport/card" or do you simply drive and see the sign "Entering Canada"?

• 3 weeks later...
We're going to Alaska with our three year old. Wish you were on our ship so they could play.

I wouldn't chance going without a passport for your daughter. That would be your her only proof of ID.

If you and DH would have a hard time of going together, one of you can take her with a noterized letter.

jam82-what ship/cruise will you be going on? Our daughter will be having her 3rd birthday on the Star, we leave 5/8.

As far as the passport (and I am assuming the passcard), there is a form you can sign out and get noterized by one parent and then the other can go to apply for the passport. We have done this with our children as I work 45 minutes away from town in the middle of nowhere. I fill out the form, get it noterized at the bank and then my DH took the kiddo in to get the passport. That may make it a little easier if you decide to go that route.

Archived