Want to help us choose a cruise?

OnTheBrink

We had planned a family trip to Washington DC this summer, but are thinking we might wait a bit on that and do a cruise instead. Anyone want to weigh in and help me choose one?

Here's our details:

2 adults

2 kids (ages 9 and nearly 6 at cruise time)

We live in Florida - any Florida port would work.

We can travel July 10-18th.

We have only had balconies and want to stick with that.

We've been on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean and enjoyed them all.

We want good children's activities on the ship.

As far as ports - we want easy things like accessible beaches, history, etc.

We'd love to keep it under $3,000.

With all those specifics, what would you do?

I have the perfect option! FORGET JULY! Go with MEEEEE on 9/11/10 on Grandeur out of FLL! :D:D:D

Our kids are the same age! They can get thrown out of the kids club together!

BTW, where have you been? Haven't seen you around here in forever? :p

Other than that, I have nothing for you. ;) So there is my suggestion. :p

Nice to see ya again!

Sounds super fun, but it's two months later than we can travel.

We are open to skipping the summer vacation and then pulling the kids out of school to go in the fall or such.

But we MUST do something this summer or the kids would be really bummed.

Anyone know about all inclusive resorts? I'm looking online, but am a bit overwhelmed!

Anyone know about all inclusive resorts? I'm looking online, but am a bit overwhelmed!

I know I can't do Beaches. ;) Too pricey. I've been checking out usairwaysvacations dot com for packages. Since its us airways they seem to be able to get better air rates. And of course there are always apple vacations.

You kill me :p.

Just being honest...lol. My kid has been thrown out of some of the world's best kids clubs. :p:D

And there is a Past Guest rate on Carnival Legend - July 11th out of Tampa Florida, 7 Nights Western - Balcony Cabin (Cat 7A) - $3,098.88 for the 4 of you. Tampa, Belize, Roatan, Grand Caymen and 2 Fun Days at Sea ;)

That was the cheapest balcony I saw with any cruise line. If you won't go with me, then I guess Carnival can have ya. :p:p:p:p

We did the Western Carib cruise on the Legend a year and half ago with kids ages 11, 9, 6 and 5. The kids loved the camp activities. I wasn't thrilled with the actual location of the camp - the very front of the ship (what is that - fore?) Three of the ports have access to close beaches (short taxi ride to Grand Caymans 7 mile beach and Cozumel - has several beaches -we like Paradise Beach), they've changed Roatan's port area since the cruise I think the beach is closer now. I'm not sure about the beach situation in Belize though.

And there is a Past Guest rate on Carnival Legend - July 11th out of Tampa Florida, 7 Nights Western - Balcony Cabin (Cat 7A) - $3,098.88 for the 4 of you. Tampa, Belize, Roatan, Grand Caymen and 2 Fun Days at Sea ;)

That was the cheapest balcony I saw with any cruise line. If you won't go with me, then I guess Carnival can have ya. :p:p:p:p

:) This is a great cruise!! I was actually thinking of this one when you said you were searching for a cruise! I love Roatan! It has the absolute best snorkeling in the Caribbean. (My humble opinion but it's one of the few with great snorkeling right off of the beach in West Bay) Geoff's Cay excursion is great too in Belize. Grand Cayman- You just can't go wrong visiting there. There is so much you can do! Turtle Farm, 7 Mile Beach, Sting Ray City... It's all good.

Also I think the Glory does this cruise out of Miami.

I agree, for a balcony in July, Carnival would be your best price. You may also want to check out Costa. A friend of mine with a 7yr old, 4yr old and infant just got back and said her kids LOVED it. They have a kids sail free promo. Their family of 5 sailed for 7 days for $1200. I have personally never tried it and havent heard many reviews of others with kids so check it out first but the price is nice.

Try a Club Med family resort. The food is awesome (better than cruise food), they have a great kids program, often offer family summer specials, and they have many family suites with a seperate bedroom for the kids. We've been to both Punta Cana and Ixtapa. We've been the last two summers, and will do it again in the future, but this summer we are trying to beat the heat by cruising to Alaska. You can get a week at Club Med for just under $3000 for a family of four. You'd have airfare on top of that, but the thing with club med is that it is actually all-incusive. (I always figure a cruise cost us about double our cruise fare.) We only spent extra an extra $300 the first time and an extra $500 the second time. That amount was for tips, pictures, and a couple of excursions. I really do think the food is better than cruise food. If you don't want to fly, there is a family Club Med is Flordia.

Since someone mentioned Costa I thought I'd throw in my two cents. We just cruised Costa in Europe in February. DD said that the kids center was fine. It was really tough for her because there were only 4 kids who spoke English. :) Yet, even though there was usually no one who spoke English (except for the counselors) she still wanted to go. Service on the cruise line was really good. (Dinning and cabin) The only bad thing was the food quality. It really doesn't compare. Someone stated on the Costa section that the Caribbean cruises do have an evening buffet. On their European cruises you either eat in the main dinning room at supper or eat pizza.

Archived