Is There a Time Change When Docked in Cozumel

sammyt

I am leaving on the Solstice in 2 weeks, and I am trying to book with Eagle Divers for an excursion. My itinerary says we are in Cozumel from 9 to 6. Eagle Divers says that there is a time change and we actually dock at 8, Cozumel time. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Yes, Cozumel is an hour behind "ship time". On all my Celebrity cruises there, we have changed the clock to be on Cozumel time.

So if our ship says it docks at 9, the Cozumel time would be 8? Is that correct>

I am confused by this, too. So if the itinerary says you dock at 9am, is that 9am Daylights Savings time (regular ship time) which equals 8am Cozumel time? Or if the ship changes their clocks to Cozumel time, does the "9am" already reflect the change, and it means 9am Cozumel time? :confused:

On the Century last week, we docked at 11:30AM in Cozumel. The night before, the ship's clock was set back an hour, so when we arrived in Cozumel, it was 11:30AM on the ship and 11:30AM in Cozumel.

If your itinerary says you dock at 9AM, it's 9AM Cozumel time and the ship will adjust the night before to match the local time.

-Jen

There is no way to find out for sure in advance whether ship time will match local time. Sometimes the ship will adjust ship time to match local time, sometimes not. Any excursion company that deals with cruise ships will be able to find out when the ship is arriving. Work out something with them such as a meeting spot for half hour after the ship arrives, rather than worrying about a specific clock time. Be sure to have your watch set to ship time when you leave the ship so you can inform your guide when you need to be back on board by.

I can't answer specific to the Solstice as the OP requested since I was on the Century, I can only assume that two different ships of the same company would have consistent practices but until someone recently on the Solstice replies we won't know for sure. This is what we experienced.

We sailed out of Miami, so we were on Eastern time. We were told that Saturday at 2AM the ships clocks would be adjusted back one hour to 1AM. Then while in Cozumel on Satuday the ships clocks were the same as local time. We were scheduled in Cozumel from 11:30AM to 8:00PM and that is when we were in Cozumel, both ship time and Cozumel time. Then we were told that Sunday at 2AM the clocks would be adjusted forward to 3AM to match Florida when we got back to Miami on Monday.

This was my first Celebrity cruise in years, so I'm not sure of their policy fleetwide. I know that most of the ships I have cruised on recently don't bother with the time change and that ship time and island time is often different.

Beth

I can't answer specific to the Solstice as the OP requested since I was on the Century, I can only assume that two different ships of the same company would have consistent practices but until someone recently on the Solstice replies we won't know for sure. This is what we experienced.

Whether or not a ship changes times is always up to the Master (Captain). It is not a company wide policy, but on each sailing the Master of the ship makes the determination. Sometimes it can even be different on the same ship across sailings. It seems that on Celebrity the majority of times they do change times, but this is certainly not uniform.

Archived