Dinner Seating Options For Solo Cruiser

LibraByTheSea

When I boooked, TA recommended Celebrity Select. I have read on the Boards and a couple of friends think thats a big mistake.

I am a female 50+ real estate broker. I am taking this cruise for R&R...going through severe burn out.

One comment was that people who go for that Option tend to group and go to dinner together. As a solo I would just get stuck at a table where everyone knows each other...Traditional seating you become friends by the end of the cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated

I did one cruise on my own a few years back (4 nighter). It was so nice to get some r&r. While I did not want to be completly anti social, I booked Traditional dining at a bigger table. I was seated with a bunch of singles such as myself, however with a much older demographic than myself and the priest who was hired onboard. I sat with the group for one whole dinner service, and after that, I requested a table for 1 for the earlier dinner service. I found that I was really disinterested in the conversations, and in line with my r&r goal, I chose my own company over anyone elses. However, if you are looking for a little bit more of a "civilized" experience, I say traditional dinning would be your best bet, they do try their best to seat you with similar PAX.

I am also a 50+ female and did my first solo cruise on Celebrity last fall. I was perfectly happy to be by myself, but I really didn't want to eat dinner alone or with different folks every night. I asked to be seated at a large table with Traditional seating. What I got was a table for 5 with an older couple (he never talked, she never stopped) and a younger couple, recently engaged, who only wanted to talk to each other. Not what I had in mind. Fortunately, the folks on the Roll Call thread for my sailing came to the rescue and at the CC Connections party, I was invited to sit with a group of them. I had the best time. Yes, they all knew each other, but I was made to feel very welcome and invited to go to the shows and other activities with them.

My recommendation would be to ask for a large table and hope for the best. You can always change. My second piece of advice is to get to know the folks on your cruise by participating in the Celebrity Roll call (Are you sailing with me?) forum. I made a lot of friends and never lacked for someone to do something with, if I wanted it. It was the perfect mix of "me time" and "time with others".

I've done more than 25 cruises as a solo, I'm in your age group and I would highly recommend taking traditional seating. I'm not one for dining alone, and it just seems that whenever a solo comes into any open seating concept, the maitre'ds seem to think that we just want to be alone. That's fine if that's what you want, but if you want to meet others it's always best to have assigned seating. If you don't like your tablemates, just ask to be changed---that happens all the time.

When I boooked, TA recommended Celebrity Select. I have read on the Boards and a couple of friends think thats a big mistake.

I am a female 50+ real estate broker. I am taking this cruise for R&R...going through severe burn out.

One comment was that people who go for that Option tend to group and go to dinner together. As a solo I would just get stuck at a table where everyone knows each other...Traditional seating you become friends by the end of the cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi LibraByTheSea,

I am also a single cruiser and have just booked the same cruise, I know of another single lady on this sailing and would enjoy being seated together. Hope you make it to the Rendevieus Bar before the sail away, I normally wear Mardi Gras beads to get-to-gethers as it gives people a contact point.

I think select would be better. If you go when it's busier (7-8 pm) you'll be seated with other people who are dining as a couple or a small group. You can meet someone new every night, and if you enjoy their company you can dine with them again other nights.

If they turn out to be a dud -- there's always the next day.

If you go at 6 pm or 9 pm you'll probably be seated by yourself, people know it's easier to get a table for two early or late.

This is obviously just one person's opinion, but I'd go for traditional and a large table. I've cruised before with family but last year did my first solo cruise. I asked for a large table and traditional dinning. At a large table you increase your chances of finding someone with whom you have a lot in common, or a few people with whom you have a little in common.

I can't say that the people I met will be freinds for life, but they were pleasant company for the evening meal and it was nice to have a group of people who enquired how your day had gone, how you liked the excursion you took etc.

I also found it interesting to hear about how other people's days had gone and which excursions they had really enjoyed or been disappointed in. Who knows, that info might come in handy the next time I cruise.

The one night that I came back from shore feeling sweaty, and too exhausted to want to get cleaned up and dressed up and be sociable I simply dined in my cabin.

Archived