santa marinella beach near Civitavecchia

queenmargrethe

I can get you started with some research, but I haven't actually been to these beaches. Hopefully someone with actual experience will post as well.

This link (http://www.comune.santamarinella.rm.it/engver/index.html) takes you to the town of Santa Marinella's web site. If you click on the interactive map of the coast you can see where each of the three beaches (spiaggia) are.

Looking at the pictures, they show beach chairs and umbrellas set up on two of the beaches, La Spiaggia Centrale and La Spiaggia Marinella. I'd focus my efforts on these two, simply because of the evidence in the pictures.

As for transport, there is probably a bus, but I don't have information on that. By train it is a six minute, one euro ride (the kids ride free). The train station in Civitavecchia is about five blocks south of the port entrance and the train station in Santa Marinella is only a couple of blocks from the beach.

This came up in another thread yesterday, and I forgot to follow up with my son (leaving myself a note for this afternoon. :o) He spent time there last summer with his cousins, and he was the second oldest at 9. It's a common beach getaway destination for Romans. Not sure that helps much, but hopefully more information to follow...

OK, school's out.;) Spoke to DS and he reports that, although they were staying in Santa Marinella, they more often went to the beach at Santa Severa (the next beach south of Santa Marinella - he says it was about a 10 minute drive.)

Santa Marinella has black-ish sand, and there was slightly more wave action. Santa Severa has beige sand and is protected by a jetty, so the water is very calm. Both beaches have facilities available.

HTH, and have a great time!

Santa Marinella has black-ish sand, and there was slightly more wave action. Santa Severa has beige sand and is protected by a jetty, so the water is very calm. Both beaches have facilities available.

Hmmm, I wonder about this. The pictures on the town web site clearly show beige sand at the two beaches mentioned above.

Archived