Has anyone ever gotten stung?

sahmom

I just recently heard of someone getting stung by a stingray in the carribbean. Apparantly it is extremely painful. I am going in May and I have a two sons (7 and 9), I don't know if I want to risk the excursion if it's possible to get stung, but I keep reading about younger children actually petting them. Anyone have info on this?

Sahmom - The possibility of a sting always exists. After all, these are wild animals. However, the only stings I've ever heard about were when people try to hold on to the rays when they clearly want to get away, or when they try to grab them by the tail, or make them feel threatened in some other way. When I did it, I was actually the first person off the boat and I stepped off the ladder and directly onto a stingray! Even so, I didn't get stung.

The kids will pet them...and that's the best part of the trip! The sandbar is crowded with the stingrays and they feel like silk rubbing against you when they come around looking for food.

I understand that a sting is very painful, but the odds of that happening aren't that great. It's an amazing experience that your kids will never forget, and I highly recommend it.

I've been to the sandbar 3 times and have never seen or heard of anyone been stung. The stingrays there are very tame, used to people and just looking for free food. They tolerate all kinds of handling.

The stinger is purely for defense, they are not aggressive animals at all. They will remind you of a housepet trying to get a treat.

The last time there was a 7 year old along and some that were much younger but I'm not sure if they actually got in the water.

I have also have accidently stepped on stingrays with no bad results.

The operators do not let you use fins, which could increase the chances or irritating a stingray.

Yes, there is always a slight risk, but I think you really, really, really have to try to irritate the stingrays at stingray city to get stung.

Stingrays in the real wild are different, but still non-agressive.

Archived