Sea Trek Helmet Dive Grand Cayman

maggieworkman

Does anyone have pictures from the Sea Trek Helmet Dive in Grand Cayman? Is it really like the video on their website with the big schools of fish swarming around you? I did a quick search on webshots for Sea Trek Grand Cayman and the few pictures that came up I didn't see any fish! It just looked cloudy and mucky!

If that is the case, then we will probably do the Rays, Reef and Rumpoint excursion with Nativeway instead.

Thanks,

Maggie

OK. Thanks so much for the pictures!!! It does look like there are fish! The few pictures I found on webshots I couldn't even see fish.

So it sounds like we will still do this excursion. My teen girls and DH are really excited about it. I didn't want them to be disappointed if there wasn't much to see.

Me, I'm still worried I won't be able to put on the helmet due to claustrophobia. I normally am not claustrophobic, but it took me a long while to get used to the snorkle mask over my nose on our last trip.

Maggie

OK. Thanks so much for the pictures!!! It does look like there are fish! The few pictures I found on webshots I couldn't even see fish.

So it sounds like we will still do this excursion. My teen girls and DH are really excited about it. I didn't want them to be disappointed if there wasn't much to see.

Me, I'm still worried I won't be able to put on the helmet due to claustrophobia. I normally am not claustrophobic, but it took me a long while to get used to the snorkle mask over my nose on our last trip.

Maggie

Not a problem. There are definitely plenty of fish. Most are the ones you can see in the pictures, with a few others around the coral. At one point they give each person some fish food and the fish just swarm you. Very cool.

I wouldn't worry too much about the experience. The guides do a great job making sure you're comfortable and it's very easy to breath with the helmet on. They slowly put the helmet on you as you walk down a latter to the ocean floor.

• 4 weeks later...

I know!! I mean, I thought my mom might not want to do this excursion for various reasons - afraid of helmet on head, afraid of not being able to breathe, too far down under water. No! She is fine with all that! She is afraid the ground will be squishy under her feet!!! :rolleyes:

Maggie

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing the helmet dive in the Cayman islands. I don't like enclosed areas but reading some of the post i see it should be okay. My next problem is i'm afraid of going under water. Any suggestions, or is there any others that did this excursion that has this same problem if so how did it go for you. I always wished i could see what scuba divers see but to afraid. I figure this is the best way. Is the water real clear? that is best for me. If the water isn't clear i don't think there is any chance for me. Any info will help.

It's a great excursion if you're up to it, but If you're afraid of being under water, it's probably not the best for you. The water is about 20 ft deep. If you want to try something, I would probably recommend snorkeling with a life vest first. You can always go back to the shore/boat if you don't like it. It takes a lot longer to get back to the boat with this excursion.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing the helmet dive in the Cayman islands. I don't like enclosed areas but reading some of the post i see it should be okay. My next problem is i'm afraid of going under water. Any suggestions, or is there any others that did this excursion that has this same problem if so how did it go for you. I always wished i could see what scuba divers see but to afraid. I figure this is the best way. Is the water real clear? that is best for me. If the water isn't clear i don't think there is any chance for me. Any info will help.

The water in GC is EXTREMELY clear. It's like being in a swimming pool. You can see for hundreds of feet around you. It's nice because you can see whats swimming around you, and not be afraid of what might be "lurking" where you can't see it :)

Not the same location but we did a helmet dive in Bora Bora. I hate putting my face in the water though I love to swim. Was overwhelm at how easy it was! Never even got my hair wet! My better half wears glasses and could even keep them on in the helmet. As for claustrophic, it does not ever feel like you are in an enclosed space. Now I will see if DH will do it again!!

• 5 months later...

:)well I'm back from the cruise and I did do the helmet dive. I was terrified so much that my arms started to tighten up and my hands went numb. when you first go into the water you have to swing over to a different ladder which was easy to do. They gave me all the time I needed before putting the helmet on. There was a diver on the other side of the ladder so I just looked at him while going down and there was another diver at my back. The steps were 1 1/2 feet apart and at each step I stopped to clear my ears. They started a count down when I had 5 steps left and when my toes reached the sand it was incredible I couldn't believe I did it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am terrified of water but they made me feel comfortable and I don't like tight areas. I wear glasses but the helmet had plenty of room. We went down 30 feet and the helmets weight was 75 pounds out of the water and 15 in. As soon as they put the helmet on you go down to the next step and you are under water. They started the count down of 20 min. under once I got to the bottom since I was the last one down. One person in my group had heart surgery before so they wouldn't let him go down. Which the cruise line should have told him in advance and didn't. He did get his money back. I would recommend the tour to anyone. One thing I would do different is go to any store there and buy a underwater camera. Luckily someone I was with had one.

Mena - so glad it all worked out for you!!! I took an underwater camera with me and got some of the most amazing pictures. It is an incredible feeling for people who don't like to get under the water. You will be talking about it for years!!

• 2 years later...

Any knew info or experiences on this excursion? Im taking my 9 yo daughter. By description she is old enough. She's not scared at all. Mommy is just concerned. This is a bucket list excursion for our family.

Not a single scuba training agency offers a program in the sea for children younger than 10. None.

To dive safely, yes even helmet diving or snuba, requires a modicum of emotional maturity to understand the risks involved in addition to a reasonable degree of physical health. The health risks related to barotrauma are the same in helmet diving a or snuba diving as compared to scuba diving. Staying shallow does not matter.

For those wanting to get their kids involved in diving I would suggest seeking out a swimming pool only experience (maximum depth 6ft) for kids ages 8 and 9, of which there are several well developed programs. Your local scuba training center may be able to offer you advice about any local programs.

Does anyone know how much the photos/video are that they sell for this excursion. We are debating whether to spend the money on an underwater camera or just buying pictures/video from the people who operate the excursion. Also, how do the pictures/video turn out? It is pretty important to me to have good photos/video because I can't swim so this will be the first time that I will be underwater. Thanks.

• 1 month later...