Coffee Plantation-Puntarenas CR

NvCruisers

Has anyone done the excursion to a coffee plantation in Puntarenas Costa Rica. We are on the Elation cruising through Panama Canal and Carnival just listed their excursions but no description of what it entails.Not very much offered at that port.

I did not know if I should reply or not since it has been 10 years since we took a tour (Celebrity) that went to a coffee plantation out of Puntarenas. With that caveat, the tour we took was excellent, but it was long. Coffee is grown in the mountains (which is very typical) so since you will be starting at the coast, you can guess that you will be in for a long bus ride.

To try to compare what we took vs. the description of what you are looking at now, following are some highlights:

1. The tour was about 7 hours if I remember correctly.

2. A lunch was provided that was great! It was located near the home of the owner of the tour company and it was real Costa Rican food (info provided by guide, but it was obvious).

3. The plantation was high up in the mountains with great views, and it was several degrees cooler than sea level.

4. Interesting tour of the plantation and a nice gift shop that had coffee-specific items.

We really liked our tour and could easily recommend the one we had, but I have no way of knowing if you are looking at the same thing or not.

Not sure if it is the same one, but we did the Golden Bean Coffee Plantation through Carnival last year. The best 'ship sponsored' excursion we have ever taken. Being coffee lovers, it was great to see the process. We had a great guide that really loved sharing the wonders of her country.

Archived