Starting to get worried!

im thinking that too, were not due to go till the 3rd may, but looking at some of the news channels and experts they arent expecting any slow down , then backlog etc looks bleak , im not gonna start packing x

I think I have resigned myself to the fact that our first cruise is not going to be on the Spirit this Wednesday. Each day that passes just looks to have the same news as the day before, but just a different date! Is would seem that even if the volcano was to stop right now it would still be days before there would be any flights. Looks as if I will just have to prepare myself for going to work instead of going to the pyramids!!!

Thomson are already offering the choice of refunds for Tuesday departures so if the situation is still the same Monday morning I expect they will be offering cancellation/ refunds for the Spirit cruise on Weds 21st. I too feel that the evidence seems to say that we will not be going and we were due on the same cruise flying from Doncaster.

my spirit is sinking this was going to be (hopefully will still be ) our first cruise for our silver wedding saved hard for a year to go , i will be devastated i know its not the end of the world but when you look forward to something its such a shame x

my spirit is sinking this was going to be (hopefully will still be ) our first cruise for our silver wedding saved hard for a year to go , i will be devastated i know its not the end of the world but when you look forward to something its such a shame x

2 weeks - at least there is a chance at the moment - don't lose hope !

I think I have resigned myself to the fact that our first cruise is not going to be on the Spirit this Wednesday. Each day that passes just looks to have the same news as the day before, but just a different date! Is would seem that even if the volcano was to stop right now it would still be days before there would be any flights. Looks as if I will just have to prepare myself for going to work instead of going to the pyramids!!!

We are feeling so fortunate we went a week last Wednesday.

My heart goes out to you especially after you have looked forward to it so much.#

I am sure they will be able to rearrange something in the near future when you will appreciate your cruise even more.

Chin up!

I don't really know -My understanding is that if the cruise is canclled and you have booked it as a FLY CRUISE package with Thomson you get a full refund or the option to put the money towards another cruise etc

As a matter of interest, what would the story be if one has alternative flights booked? Not going for 3 weeks yet, so would be hoping all is sorted by then anyhow.

As a matter of interest, what would the story be if one has alternative flights booked? Not going for 3 weeks yet, so would be hoping all is sorted by then anyhow.

If the ship continues to sail because some people are on for two weeks or some or all of the Thomson flights arrive but your own non package flight does not, then those on cruise only who do not make it to the ship will I guess have been deemed not to have turned up and therefore lost that aspect of the cost of the holiday. You booked it, the ship sailed but you did not go - it is like a concert ticket - you buy the concert ticket, the concert goes ahead but you do not get there for whatever reason - sorry - but that is my understanding of how it normally works.

If the ship continues to sail because some people are on for two weeks or some or all of the Thomson flights arrive but your own non package flight does not, then those on cruise only who do not make it to the ship will I guess have been deemed not to have turned up and therefore lost that aspect of the cost of the holiday. You booked it, the ship sailed but you did not go - it is like a concert ticket - you buy the concert ticket, the concert goes ahead but you do not get there for whatever reason - sorry - but that is my understanding of how it normally works.

My query would be if this problem is not resolved in 3 weeks and there are no flights leaving UK and Ireland, how will I be fixed as did not book Thomson flights, would I get a refund on the cruise itself as cannot imagine the cruise going ahead if there are no passengers( I am taking it all the passengers for the cruise are coming from UK & Ireland)

My query would be if this problem is not resolved in 3 weeks and there are no flights leaving UK and Ireland, how will I be fixed as did not book Thomson flights, would I get a refund on the cruise itself as cannot imagine the cruise going ahead if there are no passengers( I am taking it all the passengers for the cruise are coming from UK & Ireland)

If the flight ban was still in place no one would be able to get to the ship for the cruise no matter who you were flying with.

So Thomson's would refund the cruise and you would have to sort the airline refund with them through your insurance as far as I can see from the wording.

Berwyn

If the flight ban was still in place no one would be able to get to the ship for the cruise no matter who you were flying with.

So Thomson's would refund the cruise and you would have to sort the airline refund with them through your insurance as far as I can see from the wording.

Berwyn

Cheers, hopefully is does not come to that and I hope there is a quick change in weather conditions to let everyone away in the next few days.

Cheers, hopefully is does not come to that and I hope there is a quick change in weather conditions to let everyone away in the next few days.

Yes, a nice good strong south westerly blow. Shove it all up over the Arctic.

Or a good strong east wind and send it over to the Yanks

so here we are late on sat night. i am due to fly to londonfrom edinburgh on wed afternoon. then to palma on thurs early am.

\\is there any chance of this at all? really donst look like it.

if the volcano stops, if the ash clears, if the back log clears, if the planes and crew are in the right place..... a lot of ifs

i am thinking this cruise has been destined to fail since it rammed the deck at sharm

Sorry, ranting.... depressed

It does just feel so very unfair!!

For weeks i was weary of looking forward to the cruise too much in case the ship wasn't mended. However, in the last week or so i've started to really think it might happen and start to prepare and get excited.

Now i find mysefl looking at holiday cottages in Cornwall!!!

Half the fun of holiday's is the preparation and the build up and i've really missed it this time round. Boo!!!

British Airways is conducting its own tests of the impact of the ash cloud on airplane engines.

A BA Boeing 747 is flying over the Atlantic for up to four hours on Sunday.

BA's chief executive, Willie Walsh, who is a trained pilot, is on board, as is the airline's chief pilot.

The airline's engineers will work through the night to examine the impact of the flight on the 747's four engines. Results are unlikely till tomorrow.

Right now, BA and other airlines are planning on the assumption that they won't be allowed to fly till Thursday at the earliest.

Berwyn

Yes assuming Thomson cancel the cruise ie it does not sail - then this seems to be about it in these circumstances !

I'm off to the TA tomorrow to see if I can transfer to a cruise from Southampton, but I don't know what the position is for getting a refund as our cruise is still 2 weeks away. I know I will have to pay a transfer fee :eek:, but if I wait until then and it is cancelled, there will be nothing left to book :(:(

Anyone know what Oriana, Independence of the Seas or Grand Princess are like??

Linda

I'm off to the TA tomorrow to see if I can transfer to a cruise from Southampton, but I don't know what the position is for getting a refund as our cruise is still 2 weeks away. I know I will have to pay a transfer fee :eek:, but if I wait until then and it is cancelled, there will be nothing left to book :(:(

Anyone know what Oriana, Independence of the Seas or Grand Princess are like??

Linda

Hi Linda,

As you'll be sailing with a different company if you go from there you won't be able to transfer. You'll have to cancel with Thomson and lose the deposit.

If you were transfering to a different Thomson cruise you'd then be able just to do a transfer and just pay the fee.

Berwyn

Hmmmm:(

We have obviously paid the whole lot of money now, so would we lose all of that then?:eek:

The amount you would lose increases the closer you get to the departure date.

If you like us can't move the holiday with work. you might be better waiting for Thomson's to cancel the cruise and give you a full refund.

Or rebook a cruise with Thomson's at a later date

Berwyn

Think we will have to do that, as just looked at brochure and it is 90% if cancelled less than 21 days before departure :mad:

We are lucky as OH is taxi driver and can go when he likes, but we had booked this for his birthday on 17th May. Grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Still. at least we are not camping out at the airport like a family on the news today:eek:

Off to bed now, see what news tomorrow - the airlines are kicking up a stink, I hear, about losing £1 million a day!

Linda

I suspect things will have calmed down by then so relax and look forward to your cruise

IMO I still suspect that airline industry pressure will cause a relaxation on the ban and allow an increasing number of flights around all of Europe to begin by the end of the week.

I very much appreciate it is no consolation for our friends on this board who are about to travel and truly sorry for them. If I am wrong then I might also be affected as the back log might impact on our departure on 7th May.

Either way it's best to cut your losses and let Thomson cancel and refund / provide alternative holiday / cruise at a later date.

All in all the eruption from this volcano might last several months, know one can predict with any degree of certainty.

I cannot see any government allowing airline companies go bankrupt when test flights seem to advocate a lifting of a blanket ban.

If only what's left of the navy could be employed to return stranded pax that might ease the situation but what do I know.

but we had booked this for his birthday on 17th May. Grrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

- the airlines are kicking up a stink, I hear, about losing £1 million a day!

Linda

Hi Linda,

That's not a problem We did DW's 50th birthday cruise in the April and her birthday was not till October :D

IT's more like at least £100 million a day they're losing. British Airways is losing £25m a day alone and Easyjet £5,000,000

BBC News this a.m. NO flying has been put back from 7pm tonight to 1 a.m tomorrow morning.

Berwyn

We are feeling so fortunate we went a week last Wednesday.

My heart goes out to you especially after you have looked forward to it so much.#

I am sure they will be able to rearrange something in the near future when you will appreciate your cruise even more.

Chin up!

same here we got home thankfully last wednesday night i feel so lucky to have got back and not be out there. I'm sure thomsons will be looking after the guests on board but its a worry when you want to get home.

Archived