Tell me about Princess Pelicans for my 4 year old

MomOfGrace

Hi,

I am hoping someone can give me first-hand experience in regards to the Princess Pelican program. We are doing our first cruise - an Alaskan cruise on the Golden. Is the kid's program okay for a four year old? She is very social and currently in preschool, so I'm hoping she'll enjoy it. Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks!

My twins were four when we were on the Golden. The first day or two they wouldn't want to go at first (this seems to happen on each cruise), but then I'd end up having to drag them out. After that they loved it and wanted to go at all open hours. Crafts, games, karaoke, etc.

They've been participating in Princess Pelicans since they turned 3, always happy with it.

Best,

Mia

My twins were four when we were on the Golden. The first day or two they wouldn't want to go at first (this seems to happen on each cruise)' date=' but then I'd end up having to drag them out. After that they loved it and wanted to go at all open hours. Crafts, games, karaoke, etc.

They've been participating in Princess Pelicans since they turned 3, always happy with it.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thanks for your response....puts my mind at ease!

We just got off a 10 Caribbean cruise on the Ruby Princess. My 5 year old LOVED going to the "play area" as he calls it every day. I kept the activity sheet they gave us and can give you a little bit of an idea of what they do. Of course this is more tuned for the Caribbean, I would imagine so it will probably be a bit different for you.

Day 1 was registration

Day 2 we were in Princess Cays - They had Island activities for the kids. Afternoon activities back on the ship making name tags and art badges. In the evening they had Pirate Night. They made swords and hats. My sons face was painted....he was so proud! They did a treasure hunt and games.

Day 3 we were at Sea - Morning Activities 9AM-12NN - Playstation, Games, Drawing Contest, Outside Play. Afternoon Activities 2-5PM - T Shirt Graffiti, Charades, Lego Competition. Evening Activities 7-10PM - Pizza & Pasta Party, Baloon Buddies (someone makes baloon animals) and then Movie Night, they watched "UP".

Day 4 we were in port - They offer some day time activities while in port. You can pre-register for day care while you do a shore excursion or shop. I took my kids everywhere so I can't comment about the day time care. The sheet says you have to sign up for it and they have minimal activities such as games, playstation, etc.

In the evening 7-10PM - Jewelry Making, Face & Nale Painting, Crown, Wand or Sword Making, Candyland contest and then they watched "Shrek the Third".

Day 5 we were in port - Miniman activities during the day. In the evening 7-10PM - It was Superhero Evening. They also did Karaoke and dancing. They watched Super Hero cartoons and made placemats, airplanes and coloring pages.

Day 6 was Easter and were in port - They did a lot of activties for the kids, it was really cute. Balloons, Cookie decorating, face painting, temporary tattoos, the easter bunny came and danced with them and Pelican Pete was there. In the evening they went up on deck to where they have Movies Under the Stars and watched "Coudy with a chance of Meatballs". They were served popcorn and soda at the movie.

Day 7 we were in port - Day time activities were minimal. In the evening 7-10pm they went to the Skywalkers Disco for a party! They danced and played party games. Later they watched cartoons.

Day 8 we were in port - Day time activities were minimal. In the eveing 7-10pm they played animal themed games, pin the tail on the kangaroo, make your own Freddie the frog, frog songs, charades about animals, animal paper bag puppets and more games.

Day 9 we were at Sea - Morning activities 9AM-12NN - Wi Fit Morning, Wii Bowling, Kiddie-Lympics, Hoola hoop competition. Afternoon Activities 2-5PM - Under the Sea Day...Make your own Port Hole Window, bubble magic and learn about Timmy the turle. Evening activities 7-10PM Kid's dinner; Hotdog, Macaroni and cheese, chicken strips, hamburger, fries, jell-o and cookies (this is a formal night if you want to eat alone!). Then they watched "Finding Nemo" and read stories.

Day 10 at Sea - Same type of morning and afternoon activities as day before. Evening activities 7-10PM - they had a PJ Party with games, music, dancing and prizes. Then the kids got to choose a movie of their choice for the last night.

It's well worth it, he had a blast!! I grabbed the activities for the older kids if you want to hear those too but I hope this helps give you an idea of how much they do for them.

We just got off a 10 Caribbean cruise on the Ruby Princess. My 5 year old LOVED going to the "play area" as he calls it every day. I kept the activity sheet they gave us and can give you a little bit of an idea of what they do. Of course this is more tuned for the Caribbean, I would imagine so it will probably be a bit different for you.

Day 1 was registration

Day 2 we were in Princess Cays - They had Island activities for the kids. Afternoon activities back on the ship making name tags and art badges. In the evening they had Pirate Night. They made swords and hats. My sons face was painted....he was so proud! They did a treasure hunt and games.

Day 3 we were at Sea - Morning Activities 9AM-12NN - Playstation, Games, Drawing Contest, Outside Play. Afternoon Activities 2-5PM - T Shirt Graffiti, Charades, Lego Competition. Evening Activities 7-10PM - Pizza & Pasta Party, Baloon Buddies (someone makes baloon animals) and then Movie Night, they watched "UP".

Day 4 we were in port - They offer some day time activities while in port. You can pre-register for day care while you do a shore excursion or shop. I took my kids everywhere so I can't comment about the day time care. The sheet says you have to sign up for it and they have minimal activities such as games, playstation, etc.

In the evening 7-10PM - Jewelry Making, Face & Nale Painting, Crown, Wand or Sword Making, Candyland contest and then they watched "Shrek the Third".

Day 5 we were in port - Miniman activities during the day. In the evening 7-10PM - It was Superhero Evening. They also did Karaoke and dancing. They watched Super Hero cartoons and made placemats, airplanes and coloring pages.

Day 6 was Easter and were in port - They did a lot of activties for the kids, it was really cute. Balloons, Cookie decorating, face painting, temporary tattoos, the easter bunny came and danced with them and Pelican Pete was there. In the evening they went up on deck to where they have Movies Under the Stars and watched "Coudy with a chance of Meatballs". They were served popcorn and soda at the movie.

Day 7 we were in port - Day time activities were minimal. In the evening 7-10pm they went to the Skywalkers Disco for a party! They danced and played party games. Later they watched cartoons.

Day 8 we were in port - Day time activities were minimal. In the eveing 7-10pm they played animal themed games, pin the tail on the kangaroo, make your own Freddie the frog, frog songs, charades about animals, animal paper bag puppets and more games.

Day 9 we were at Sea - Morning activities 9AM-12NN - Wi Fit Morning, Wii Bowling, Kiddie-Lympics, Hoola hoop competition. Afternoon Activities 2-5PM - Under the Sea Day...Make your own Port Hole Window, bubble magic and learn about Timmy the turle. Evening activities 7-10PM Kid's dinner; Hotdog, Macaroni and cheese, chicken strips, hamburger, fries, jell-o and cookies (this is a formal night if you want to eat alone!). Then they watched "Finding Nemo" and read stories.

Day 10 at Sea - Same type of morning and afternoon activities as day before. Evening activities 7-10PM - they had a PJ Party with games, music, dancing and prizes. Then the kids got to choose a movie of their choice for the last night.

It's well worth it, he had a blast!! I grabbed the activities for the older kids if you want to hear those too but I hope this helps give you an idea of how much they do for them.

Thanks SO MUCH for the details. It sounds like my daughter will enjoy it! :)

• 3 months later...
Thank you for the list of activities! This is a big help. Do you know if they let the younger kids play video games? My 7 year old loves his X-box but I didn't see Play Station listed as an activity for the 3-7 age group.

I was on the Golden before it was refurbished, but the Pelicans were in a different room than the older kids and did not have access to the video games, except at certain special times (which I actually preferred - I'd rather they were playing with others, doing crafts, etc.). I do know on other Princess ships, there are video games in the Pelican room (Sapphire, Diamond) so this may have changed on the Golden since my girls had their 4th birthday aboard in Jan, 09.

Best,

Mia

• 5 months later...

Day 1 was registration

Hi sorry for opening old topic, but i was interested in learning if on RP you cann access this area with a 2 1/2 year old if parent accompanies. RCCL does allow this on some ships.

And or does RP allow you to check out toys to use in your room etc, RCCL offered this

THANKS, leavin in 5 days trying to work through last minutes planning..

Hi sorry for opening old topic, but i was interested in learning if on RP you cann access this area with a 2 1/2 year old if parent accompanies. RCCL does allow this on some ships.

And or does RP allow you to check out toys to use in your room etc, RCCL offered this

Not sure what RP is. If it's a Princess ship, yes - babies/toddlers are allowed to use the Pelican area as long they are with a parent. My girls have been enjoying playing in the Princess kid room since they were 13 months.

We have never been allowed to check out toys to the room.

Best,

Mia

We sailed on the Diamond Princess to Alaska when my youngest daughter was a couple of weeks shy of her 4th birthday. She loved the kids club! One of the great things that they did (which I assume will be the same on the Golden Princess) was theme activities relating to Alaska - colouring and crafts about wildlife, glaciers and things like that. As well, on the day that we were in Glacier Bay there was a park ranger talking to the kids about what they were seeing. It was an amazing trip - enjoy!!

Lisa

Our Daughter was 2 1/2 on the last cruise. Yes you can take her to the kids area but you have to stay and supervise them. They don't sway on that rule and I'm sure it has to do with liability and insurance.

As for toys, one idea if you can't bring one or two yourself, is to go to a Dollar Store or Walmart and purchase toys that you don't mind leaving behind. We purchased sand toys (less than $5) for the beach at Walmart when we got to FL and they were a big hit. And before we got off the ship we donated them to the kids area and they were happy to get them.

We also purchased snacks for the kids, fruit snacks, crackers, etc at Walmart when we arrived in FL. Things we knew they would not have on the ship. Kids get hungry more than you realize and they are great for taking on excursions.

Have a great trip!

Archived