Whale Watching

We are leaving New York on a 5 day Carnival Cruise, through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Never been on this cruise, we would love to go whale watching, among other great places to visit or see. Does anyone know which place is the best to go whale watching, and which company you would recommend? We would like to stay somewhat off the shore excursions that the cruiseline has. Also, what else would you recommend? Thank You!!

I do not know all of your ports. I have gone on whale watching trips in Bar Harbor, Maine (5 times) and Glouster, MA (once). Our first time in Bar Harbor we went from the place right at the West street pier. It was cold, rainy and pea soup fog. I figured it was hopeless. After an hour we stopped in the fog. The Capt. had everyone go out on deck and get very quiet. We were going to "listen" for the whales. At first i thought it was some sort of a gag; but within 3 minutes we all heard a "Whuu" (the whale's blowhole) Everyone pointed in the direction, the boat took off and sure enough there in the fog was a mother humpack and her calf! We saw another whale later.

My second time going whale watching was Glouster. We told our friends to bring loads of layers, and to leave the expensive cameras in the car (waves and damaging salt spray). We couldn't have been more wrong! We were in shirtsleeves, baking in the sun. The sea was smooth as glass. we were surrounded by whales leaping and breaching in every direction. did I mention that the cameras were in the cars? Even the workers were amazed at that rare day in whale paradise.

Enjoy!

Archived