snorkel tayabana beach @ mayan princess

Karlie1

New to board. Have been reading hundreds of treads about snorkeling( was certified scuba early 80's now only snorkel, it is very simple and I enjoy it more). I have Caymen , Cozumel and Belize figured out but not done with Roatan. I read a review on Tripadvisor. Someone stated " Snorkel Taybana Beach from cruise departure , for $10.00 you can spend the day at the Mayan Princess Hotel , Fee includes use of chairs, pool, umbrella and use of beach . When I get out of salt water there only 2 things I really like : 1. COLD BEER 2. Jumping in a Pool!!!

1- has anyone done this or know if it is true?

2- If it is true , how do you get there from the Valor?

3. who do you make contact with?

Thanks Karlie1 in Illinois

( I have my Skin So Soft in my Snorkel bag for the fleas! )

Tabayana is absolutely the best! We went off both Princess & NCL ships. Both gave you a bus ride to the beach, they included a BBQ lunch, I don't remember if beer was included or you had to buy it, but it was there. This was 3 years ago (for the Princess cruise). You spent as long as you wanted, the buses shuttled back and forth all day. You could walk out into the water about 25 ft, lie down, and start snorkeling on a world class reef. We spent hours out there!

Enjoy,

Vic

We were in Roatan in January and spent our day at Tabyana and it was our favorite stop! You can snorkel right from the beach, it's nice but not the best snorkeling I have ever done. The beer was local (can not remember the name of it) and good.

We decided to go to Infinity Bay instead of Mayan and it was a real treat. It is down a bit from Mayan and from what we could see much better. There is a bar, chairs and the beautiful beach. Yes they have a pool but we did not go in. We did have lunch there as well and the food was wonderful.

Our day we used a tour company and it was 40.00 per person, Cinthia our tour guide stayed with us the entire time and gave us a tour of the Island when we were done at Tabyana. If you want the name of the tour company, just let me know.

we took a cab to the Mayan Princess.... a beautiful resort with a nice pool and restaurant...and a short walk down to the snorkeling... maybe not quite a football field walk down the beach..to snorkel.... we took a cab from the pier and he waited for us to go back to the ship... we got a day pass for the Mayan.. think it was 18.00 pp .. use of facilities...if you don't want a pool.. just go to fosters or bananarama and pay 5.00 for use of chaise on beach..tell the cab driver to drop you off at either one..... they both have bars and also a short walk to the snorkel reef... the snorkeling was fantastic!... you won't be disappointed

Went to web site. Is the one you are talking about Snorkel from the Shore $45 or Roatan East end beach break for $40?

It appears you are from Ocala. The first time I went to fl. (47 years ago), my grandparents took me to Silver Springs on a glass bottom boat. I was in awe of the clear water. That is the point I fell in love with snorkeling. I snorkeled with the Manatees in Blue Springs , never made it back to Siver Springs. Thanks Karlie1

Went to web site. Is the one you are talking about Snorkel from the Shore $45 or Roatan East end beach break for $40?

It appears you are from Ocala. The first time I went to fl. (47 years ago), my grandparents took me to Silver Springs on a glass bottom boat. I was in awe of the clear water. That is the point I fell in love with snorkeling. I snorkeled with the Manatees in Blue Springs , never made it back to Siver Springs. Thanks Karlie1

Small World :) Unfortunately over the year as the Springs have suffered - still beautiful but showing its age. I love the Manatees; I believe that is how I became addicted to snorkeling!

Here is Cinthia's personal email - if you email her and let her know that (Debi) referred you she will give you a personal day at 40.00 per person. I do not get paid or anything from Cinthia - we have just gotten to know her well from our trip there and we are looking for a retirement (may years to go) home on the Island so she has been very helpful and become a bit of a friend :)

jacksong2005@yahoo.com

Roatan is so beautiful - you will enjoy your day!

Smaller World, I lived in Oviedo for 1 year.(1978). I got my scuba certificate in Orlando. Went to Blue Springs with dive group. Every year for past 10 we vacation Panama City beach with kids and grandkids. Best snorkeling other than keys, not much to see other than clear water. First scuba was St Thomas, hope Infinity will compare.

I filled out form for RCT asking Cinthia about tour . I will Email her at jacksong2005@yahoo.com and tell her Debi sent me. Thanks Joe Libbra

Joe - Let me know how things work out with Cinthia - I am very jealous that you are going to our favorite Island.....but know you will enjoy it :)

Love your sign in name (and the meaning) Hope your granddaughter gets to cruise with you ;)

Happy Sailing

Debi

Debi , thanks for the help. It's nice to know there are still good people out there willing to lend a Helping Hand. Besides loving to snorkel I love to go to Classic Rock concerts. I helped raise Karlie her first 5 years. She was raised listening to The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd. (Freebird) etc. I took her to Route 66 Music Festival, Joplin Mo. when she was 5 , our favorite is Skynyrd. For her 13 Birthday, I'm taking her to a rodeo in August Sikeston Mo. Skynyrd will be playing.

She has seen Skynyrd (4 times), REO Speedwagon, Journey, Eddie Money, and many more. Karlie also has been to 3 American Idol shows in St Louis. She also likes to snorkel but she couldn't get out of school to come with us.

Maybe next time.

I will give you a review when we return and some pictures. I haven't heard from Cinthia yet . I will also help promote ROATAN CULTURE TOURS.

Thanks again Karlie1 (Joe L.)

Joe - you probably have the coolest granddaughter thanks to your influence :) Nice to see that Skynard is generations of enjoyment!

It usually takes Cinthia a few days to return emails but she will, remember they are on Island time ;)

Debi: I was reading about Belize and came across a couple of your responses. My wife and I were looking for a causual day in Belize. My wife(41 years June 14) and I spent a day on Isla Mujeres 2 yrs. ago. Rented a golf cart($40) for the day. We visited local shops, drove entire island, cemetery and lunch at local favorite Jax's. We had a blast! Is there something you recommend.

My wife and I almost booked a week in Tampa middle of March this year. The strawberry festival in Plant City. Skynyrd was the headline act. I thought, what a way to start the season out. That would have cost as much as our cruise. We have Democracy in our home. Vicki got the cruise and Karlie and me are going to our first rodeo to hear FREEBIRD one more time. Thanks Joe L.

Debi: I was reading about Belize and came across a couple of your responses. My wife and I were looking for a causual day in Belize. My wife(41 years June 14) and I spent a day on Isla Mujeres 2 yrs. ago. Rented a golf cart($40) for the day. We visited local shops, drove entire island, cemetery and lunch at local favorite Jax's. We had a blast! Is there something you recommend.

My wife and I almost booked a week in Tampa middle of March this year. The strawberry festival in Plant City. Skynyrd was the headline act. I thought, what a way to start the season out. That would have cost as much as our cruise. We have Democracy in our home. Vicki got the cruise and Karlie and me are going to our first rodeo to hear FREEBIRD one more time. Thanks Joe L.

Nice to see you believe in Democracy ;)

I have been to Belize a few times, not my favorite Island but nice things to do. I have done the cave tubing; its nice but certainly not the Island experience. The water can be cold and its nothing spectacular.

This past trip we booked a private excursion and went to Caye Caulker to snorkel. It was wonderful. We were on a boat that could seat about 18 people, we were a large group going so we had the boat to ourselves. We met just off the pier a bit and got to go up to Mangroves to Caye Caulker about a 20 minute boat ride. It was a lovely ride and you got see see some interesting things along the way. We stopped and snorkeled along the reef and it was so nice - the guide took us up and around the reef and back to the boat. It is amazing how long the reef is but it was nice having him guide us all the way. we saw lots of beautiful fish and several barracuda! Then they gave us about 1 1/2 hours to explore Caye Caulker. This is plenty of time as Caye Caulker does not have vehicles. Residents get around by golf cart. We stopped and had lunch at a place just off of the pier and the food was great. They also had local beer :D We walked the streets and took some great pics - I'll see if I can post some on here

It was well worth the trip to see another of the small Islands of Belize. It was also relaxing........

Joe - I am not having any luck attaching the pics of Roatan or Belize.

If anyone can give me some instructions, I would be happy to try again :)

Or if you give me your email, I will send them to you. Sorry I work in health care, computers is not my strong point :eek:

Debi , I told you how good I am at the computer. My one finger was going so fast, look how a spelled Thanks. (q)

Joe L.

OMG - I am cracking up...... email is on the way :D

Archived