Hook and Float vs Free Float Cave Tubing?

Ruggled

I've been reading these boards in an attempt to find the best cave tubing company to use on our December cruise to Belize. I notice that there are a few outfits that allow "free float" rather than the "hook and float" where you hook on to the person behind you by their feet.

I've read some who like the "hook and float" because they don't really have to work but can float on down the river with the guides in control. Others seem to prefer to be on their own. At first blush, I think I'd prefer to be on my own (my phobia about other people's feet aside :rolleyes:). I'm almost certain my teenage son and husband would prefer to be on their own rather than "hook and float".

So, what am I missing...is there an advantage to one or the other? I've read reviews that thought free-float was "chaos". I'd love to hear opinions. And can anyone confirm if Xtreme is the only outfit that allows free float?

Thanks!

Your decision may get made for you with regard to the hook-n-float.

When we toured with cavetubing.bz in Feb, Vitallino indicated that new rules were coming into effect this year that will mandate that all tubers go in connected groups. I don't recall when he said these new rules were coming into effect, but I believe he mentioned something about mid year.

This is apparently in response to the tuber that died in 08?

The new rules also limit the number of guests per guide to something like 6 or 8 if I remember the details from Vitallino.

We did the tour as a linked group of 6 and enjoyed ourselves with Vitallino. I'd highly recommend you consider him for your trip.

Brad

Archived