Spring Break on the Splendor....better late than never!

takmom

Great review. We are booked to go April 2011. Just a couple of questions:

We have booked a balcony cabin (our first one). Is there a particular side of the ship that is better with the Splendor's itinerary?

There are 4 of us (2 kids aged 9 and 11). We have booked only 1 cabin - at what age would you suggest letting the kids have their own cabin.

Thanks

Tracy

Great review! I saw the pirate ship in your photo at PV, I booked that and they said the ship time will be the same as theirs( I hope this to be true) what was your experience. We leave May 2nd and we are taking our 3 kids, did yours enjoy the kid's clubs? I can't wait to go! Thanks:D

Great review. We are booked to go April 2011. Just a couple of questions:

We have booked a balcony cabin (our first one). Is there a particular side of the ship that is better with the Splendor's itinerary?

There are 4 of us (2 kids aged 9 and 11). We have booked only 1 cabin - at what age would you suggest letting the kids have their own cabin.

Thanks

Tracy

I dont think there is a better side of the ship...we were starboard and had sun in the afternoons on our balcony. However I think you see more whales/dolphins etc on the other side between the ship and land. No worries though cause the ship goes back up and you get the other view.

As far as the kids I think it depends on the kids. The only reason we do it is that we have 3 kids...so we really dont fit into a cabin. I think my oldest was 13 when they had their first room and that was a balcony that we took the partitions down between. Before that we either stayed in a suite or had other family with us. Of course now that we have 2 rooms I LOVE it! 2 showers and we dont wake them up when we get up in the morning so they can sleep in.

Great review! I saw the pirate ship in your photo at PV, I booked that and they said the ship time will be the same as theirs( I hope this to be true) what was your experience. We leave May 2nd and we are taking our 3 kids, did yours enjoy the kid's clubs? I can't wait to go! Thanks:D

For us PV was the only port that WASNT on ships time. PV was a hour ahead of ship time...so I would double check with them. The pirate ship looked like alot of fun!

My kids LOVE the kids clubs! I had one in each club and all 3 enjoyed it. We have a b2b planned for aug...and we did one last aug, we gave our kids an option of a week on a cruise and a week in Disney and they asked for 2 weeks on the cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Ann for your great review and photos! I just did this cruise last week-- booked it again for June as soon as I got off!

Great to hear from you Wendell!!! We are doing this one again for Thanksgiving this year...! Loved it!

Ann

• 1 month later...

Ann - Thanks for taking the time to write a great review. We will be on the Splendor on July 4th. :) We are also going on the Dolphin swin in Cabos and it was great to see how nice it looked.

Just a couple of questions about the Queen Mary - is she always docked there? Can you tour her anytime? Did you actually sleep on the Queen Mary and do you go about booking a night there?

Thanks for your help!!

Just a couple of questions about the Queen Mary - is she always docked there? Can you tour her anytime? Did you actually sleep on the Queen Mary and do you go about booking a night there?

I'm so glad you posted on this thread even though it's a couple months since the OP posted her review--this was one I hadn't seen yet! Thank you! :D

We're staying on the QM in August before our Splendor cruise. Here's the link to their site: http://www.queenmary.com/. You can get a better rate on online travel sites. I believe you can call and book directly and get a rate of $99 if you ask for the Carnival rate. We booked the QM through Carnival on our last Mexican Riviera cruise, but I opted for a nicer room this time.

Yes, the QM is always there. And you can either pay for a guided tour (I believe) or walk around yourself and take a look. It's pretty interesting to learn her history and it's just the atmosphere before you go on a cruise! Just keep in mind, the Queen Mary is reputed to be haunted. My DD swears she saw a ghost in the mirror while she was brushing her teeth. :D

Hope that helps!

Yes, the QM is always there. And you can either pay for a guided tour (I believe) or walk around yourself and take a look. It's pretty interesting to learn her history and it's just the atmosphere before you go on a cruise! Just keep in mind, the Queen Mary is reputed to be haunted. My DD swears she saw a ghost in the mirror while she was brushing her teeth. :D

Because of the legends about haunting, the Queen Mary offers a whole ghost tour. It is cheesy, but a lot of fun.

Because of the legends about haunting, the Queen Mary offers a whole ghost tour. It is cheesy, but a lot of fun.

Yes, we saw that when we stayed there. DD wasn't too keen on going on it seven years ago. But, she's 15 now, so she might just be dragging me along! LOL. :D

Sorry Ive been out on the Valor all week...but it looks like you got your questions answered :) When we stayed on the Queen Mary we took their self guided tour...its included in your room rate. You can also get headphones for a small fee if you like.

Excellent review! We're headed out next April and plan to stay on the Queen Mary as well. I hope you have some in-site on a few questions I have.

What time did you check into the Queen Mary? We're looking at arriving around noon and was wondering about baggage storage and things to do around Long Beach. I see where there is a free bus going over to downtown.

Being from the east, what's the weather like out-bound in April? I've read that the first day out and the last day back can be chilly in the spring. Should we pack sweaters/sweatshirts or is long sleeve Tee's enough?

Any recommendations on shore excursions? We might be cruising alone or with adult children. We've cruised in the Caribbean and this will be our first on the west coast.

Any other details on the rotisserie and burrito bar? I've not seen these on the ships we've cruised on and wondering what the menu's were like.

So many questions so I'll end with what day of the cruise would you recommend for the Steakhouse?

Thanks in advance. CCF

Excellent review! We're headed out next April and plan to stay on the Queen Mary as well. I hope you have some in-site on a few questions I have.

What time did you check into the Queen Mary? We're looking at arriving around noon and was wondering about baggage storage and things to do around Long Beach. I see where there is a free bus going over to downtown.

Being from the east, what's the weather like out-bound in April? I've read that the first day out and the last day back can be chilly in the spring. Should we pack sweaters/sweatshirts or is long sleeve Tee's enough?

Any recommendations on shore excursions? We might be cruising alone or with adult children. We've cruised in the Caribbean and this will be our first on the west coast.

Any other details on the rotisserie and burrito bar? I've not seen these on the ships we've cruised on and wondering what the menu's were like.

So many questions so I'll end with what day of the cruise would you recommend for the Steakhouse?

Thanks in advance. CCF

HI, I will do my best to help you out...

We checked into the Queen Mary in the evening, but Im sure if your room was not ready they would store your luggage for you...most hotels will.

The weather could go either way in April. I would be prepared for anything between 60-80 in April :). As far as the sea days the first tends to be windy and cooler...especially if you are used to the east coast...but dosnt stop people from laying out in the sun. The last sea day could go either way as well...just be prepared. Im from the west coast so I have been fine with shorts and a sweatshirt. Just know that its not the same as east coast cruises...but once you get down south its nice and warm...

Here is what I have done for excursions...

PV: Ziplining...if your up for adventure this is an excellent place to zipline. You take a bus into the jungle area...they are not small ziplines but long and high...lots of fun and I would do that again in a heartbeat!

On our last trip we just took a cab down to the malecon and did some shopping. Its a nice area with lots of restaraunts, bars, and shopping...great photo ops as well.

Mazatlan: We have gone to Stone Island which was nice. Some nice beach restaraunts and lots of beach activities. We booked a tour that included lunch and 3 activities...did some boogiboarding, horsebackriding, banana boat rides and my son road an ATV.

We did the city tour the last time which was great...beautiful city.

Cabo: This is one of our favorite ports! We have gone to the beach which is great if your looking for a fun party beach atmosphere...lots of fun.

We have gone whale watching...but I think you will miss whale season.

We have also done Cabo Dolphins...which was great! Not sure if its better than dolphin excursions on the east coast but it was a great experience.

We have also just spent time walking around and shopping. This is a great port with lots to do and very beautiful!

As far as the rotisserie and burrito bar...YUM!!!

Enjoy your cruise on the Splendor...we did and will do it again in November ;)

HI, I will do my best to help you out...

We checked into the Queen Mary in the evening, but Im sure if your room was not ready they would store your luggage for you...most hotels will.

The weather could go either way in April. I would be prepared for anything between 60-80 in April :). As far as the sea days the first tends to be windy and cooler...especially if you are used to the east coast...but dosnt stop people from laying out in the sun. The last sea day could go either way as well...just be prepared. Im from the west coast so I have been fine with shorts and a sweatshirt. Just know that its not the same as east coast cruises...but once you get down south its nice and warm...

Here is what I have done for excursions...

PV: Ziplining...if your up for adventure this is an excellent place to zipline. You take a bus into the jungle area...they are not small ziplines but long and high...lots of fun and I would do that again in a heartbeat!

On our last trip we just took a cab down to the malecon and did some shopping. Its a nice area with lots of restaraunts, bars, and shopping...great photo ops as well.

Mazatlan: We have gone to Stone Island which was nice. Some nice beach restaraunts and lots of beach activities. We booked a tour that included lunch and 3 activities...did some boogiboarding, horsebackriding, banana boat rides and my son road an ATV.

We did the city tour the last time which was great...beautiful city.

Cabo: This is one of our favorite ports! We have gone to the beach which is great if your looking for a fun party beach atmosphere...lots of fun.

We have gone whale watching...but I think you will miss whale season.

We have also done Cabo Dolphins...which was great! Not sure if its better than dolphin excursions on the east coast but it was a great experience.

We have also just spent time walking around and shopping. This is a great port with lots to do and very beautiful!

As far as the rotisserie and burrito bar...YUM!!!

Enjoy your cruise on the Splendor...we did and will do it again in November ;)

This helps alot. Thanks.:)

(Please do another review in November. I'm sure to be asking more questions.)

Archived