Will 20 & 25 y.o. be bored to tears on Celebrity?

Madey

Hi Everyone,

Our 25 y.o. son is being deployed to Afghanistan. We have specific dates (June 26-July 5) to enjoy together before he leaves, and he opted to spend them cruising with Mom, Dad, 2 aunts & 20 y.o. sister.

RCC & Carnival have port-packed itinerary options, but the old folks (financing the trip) want Celebrity and are convinced the food/service is better. We're looking at a Solstice itinerary of: sea; P Rico; St Thom; St Marteen; sea; sea.

Question: Is it true that Celebrity passengers tend to be... older, with a somewhat... subdued partying style?!

For what it's worth: Son says he doesn't care, and is spending the week before at a cheap, adults-only all-inclusive with 2 Army buddies in Dominican Republic (so maybe he'll be ready to wear a tie at night & play bingo during the day?!?)

Opinions are appreciated!

When my son was 20, my parents took him (and us) on a Celebrity cruise for their 50th anniversary. He had a great time--but he loved sitting at the pool with a book, participating in the water games, gambling with his grandmother. He went on three shore excuriosns with us and liked them.

Madey make sure your son checks with his command before you book this. Often they wont let service members leave the country, take cruises etc close to deployment.

My Son in law is in the Army and we had to cancel a trip we had booked for him and my daughter.

I'm 66 and I found the nightlife on Solstice subdued, but that can depend on the time of year. Cruises when schools and universities are active do tend to have an older crowd and be "quieter."

Still there was plenty to do. I don't know your son's personality or interests, so it is hard to say.

By the way, I wish your son all the very best in Afghanistan.

During the summer, the average age on most Celebrity cruises drops, so there's a good chance there will be others in their 20s (and Solstice is bringing down the averages anyway). I also think Celebrity's food and service is really great. I'm not a late-night person at all (have to be at work by 7am, so my body clock is on that schedule after 18 years), and I've heard that compared to Carnival and RCCL, the night life on X is subdued in comparison. Depends on what the main goal of the trip is.... If the goal of the trip is to spend time together, a cruise - no matter what line- is perfect for that.

Thanks, everyone, for your input -- especially the tip to check with his command to see if he can even take the cruise.

The purpose IS to spend time together, so if the Army will let him go, it might work out best to have a more subdued crowd.

Thanks again to all who post -- i have learned much from these boards and appreciate your time.

Archived