ginger candy??

melanie1877

Hi,

I'm leaving on the Carnival Pride next Sunday (may 2), and I am taking my 3yo. I talked to my pediatrician about just in case seasickness meds, and she told me to talk to my local pharmacist. She said they make children's dramamine, and that I could use that. However, when I went to talk to the pharmacist, she said that they don't make children's dramamine, or any other OTC seasickness med for a child that age. She said to take nausau meds, if he feels symptoms, and use a sea band. I know he will not keep a sea band on, so I was wondering what others with children this young did??:confused: I have heard of ginger candies, but where do you buy something like that? I didn't see it in the pharmacy anywhere, and are they hard candies that a 3yo could choke on? Ahhh, help!!:confused:

Hi,

I'm leaving on the Carnival Pride next Sunday (may 2), and I am taking my 3yo. I talked to my pediatrician about just in case seasickness meds, and she told me to talk to my local pharmacist. She said they make children's dramamine, and that I could use that. However, when I went to talk to the pharmacist, she said that they don't make children's dramamine, or any other OTC seasickness med for a child that age. She said to take nausau meds, if he feels symptoms, and use a sea band. I know he will not keep a sea band on, so I was wondering what others with children this young did??:confused: I have heard of ginger candies, but where do you buy something like that? I didn't see it in the pharmacy anywhere, and are they hard candies that a 3yo could choke on? Ahhh, help!!:confused:

I'm a pharmacist...

While they don't make a Children's Dramamine, they do make the chewable Dramamine Original Formula (dimenhydrinate)

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

To prevent or treat motion sickness, see below:

• adults and children 12 years and over 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 4-6 hours; not more than 8 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 6 to under 12 years ½ to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 2 to under 6 years ¼ to ½ chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; not more than 1-1/2 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor

They don't recommend Bonine or Less Drowsy Formula Dramamine (both contain meclizine) for kids, Children's Bonine (cyclizine) is recommended for kids age 6 and above. But that's neither here nor there.

Another remedy for motion sickness is Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

Benadryl is also used to suppress coughs, to treat motion sickness, to induce sleep, and to treat mild forms of Parkinson's disease.

This is because Benadryl and Original Formula Dramamine (and all the other motion sickness medications) are in the same drug family. That is why they can cause drowsiness.

Ginger does work, though.

You can find ginger Altoids (which ARE curiously strong)

ginger__20158.jpg

Sea Band makes a ginger gum

200.JPG

and you can probably find candied ginger at Whole Foods or some specialty supermarket.

Vitamin stores may have a ginger supplement, but those usually aren't kid friendly.

edit:

Make sure it's the ORIGINAL formula Dramamine (look for the Dimenhydrinate)

... and you can also use it if you have a runny nose, sneezing, and post-nasal drip.

I'm a pharmacist...

While they don't make a Children's Dramamine, they do make the chewable Dramamine Original Formula (dimenhydrinate)

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

They don't recommend Bonine or Less Drowsy Formula Dramamine (both contain meclizine) for kids, Children's Bonine (cyclizine) is recommended for kids age 6 and above. But that's neither here nor there.

Another remedy for motion sickness is Benadryl (diphenhydramine)

http://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html

[/url]

This is because Benadryl and Original Formula Dramamine (and all the other motion sickness medications) are in the same drug family. That is why they can cause drowsiness.

Ginger does work, though.

You can find ginger Altoids (which ARE curiously strong)

ginger__20158.jpg

Sea Band makes a ginger gum

200.JPG

and you can probably find candied ginger at Whole Foods or some specialty supermarket.

Vitamin stores may have a ginger supplement, but those usually aren't kid friendly.

edit:

Make sure it's the ORIGINAL formula Dramamine (look for the Dimenhydrinate)

... and you can also use it if you have a runny nose, sneezing, and post-nasal drip.

Wow!!! Thank you so much Mack2! That is some great information! I already use benedryl (he had mild seasonal allergies, and he sometimes gets slight food allergies), so I was planning on packing this anyway. I was hesitant to use it, because it makes him drowsy, but I guess this seems to be the best alternative. I'm also going to try to find those ginger altoids. Thanks again for all the great information! Really helpful!:D

I don't think you'll hit any rough seas...

Sometimes, around Cape Hatteras, the ocean sometimes gets rough... because of the northward flow of the Gulf Stream and it's bend around the cape... but after that, it should be great seas.

Have a great trip.

Check out Ardastra Gardens if you get the opportunity.

We once hired a driver just to go there... missed the Marching Flamingo show, but ended up meeting the trainer, Joe, and he gave us a tour of the Zoo... let us interact with the birds.

dsc7104q.jpg

dsc7100.jpg

dsc7120h.jpg

and there's also a spot there where you can hand feed colorful lory parrots.

dsc3026.jpg

edit:

I did have to calm my kids down, and let them know NOT to grab at the birds... otherwise the bird wouldn't go to them...

The birds want to meet you, but they're scared of you... so if you don't move, they'll come!

I don't think you'll hit any rough seas...

Sometimes, around Cape Hatteras, the ocean sometimes gets rough... because of the northward flow of the Gulf Stream and it's bend around the cape... but after that, it should be great seas.

Have a great trip.

Check out Ardastra Gardens if you get the opportunity.

We once hired a driver just to go there... missed the Marching Flamingo show, but ended up meeting the trainer, Joe, and he gave us a tour of the Zoo... let us interact with the birds.

dsc7104q.jpg

dsc7100.jpg

dsc7120h.jpg

and there's also a spot there where you can hand feed colorful lory parrots.

dsc3026.jpg

edit:

I did have to calm my kids down, and let them know NOT to grab at the birds... otherwise the bird wouldn't go to them...

The birds want to meet you, but they're scared of you... so if you don't move, they'll come!

At which port is Ardastra Gardens located? Nassau?

Thanks for all that information Mack.

I love the pictures of the kids with the Flamingos. At first I thought the Flamingos were fake. I've never seen a pink flamingo that wasn't a plastic lawn ornament. :) Looks like the kids had a blast!

Hi,

I have heard of ginger candies, but where do you buy something like that? I didn't see it in the pharmacy anywhere, and are they hard candies that a 3yo could choke on? Ahhh, help!!:confused:

Another thing you might take along and try are the ShaSha Company's ginger snap cookies. These are tagged as "The Traveler's Friend" and can serve dual purposes -- they're good for seasickness (I've heard ... I haven't tried them for that myself) for both adults and kids, and they're nice healthy snacks for the kids. My 1-year-old eats them for snacks, so I'm planning to take them along with us on our cruise next month. He'll be eating them for snacks and won't even know that they are helping with any potential seasickness symptoms.

You can buy the cookies at Whole Foods.

I'm also glad to read Mack's advice. I didn't know Benadryl could be used for that, so I'll be sure to take that with us also, just in case.

As far as giving benadryl to a three year old, what dosing would you use?

1tsp should do the trick. You can always check with your pediatrician and they will tell you based on your childs weight. It's gonna make your kiddo pretty sleepy though so only use it if you need it. With a 3 year old you probably won't need anything.... my 4 year old didn't have any issues!

As far as giving benadryl to a three year old, what dosing would you use?

http://www.drugs.com/pro/diphenhydramine.html

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:

CHILDREN: (over 20 lbs.): 12.5 to 25 mg three or four times daily. Maximum daily dosage not to exceed 300 mg. For physicians who wish to calculate the dose on the basis of body weight or surface area, the recommended dosage is 5 mg/kg/24 hours or 150 mg/m2/24 hours.

In motion sickness, full dosage is recommended for prophylactic use, the first dose to be given 30 minutes before exposure to motion and similar doses before meals and upon retiring for the duration of exposure.

It looks complicated so... what that all means is you determine the maximum daily dose for your child based on their body weight in kilograms... then multiply that weight by 5... and that's your maximum daily dose.

A 20 lb child is about 9 kilograms (Google'd that, it's easier)

9 x 5 = 45

45mg is the total daily dose.

so... split 45mg up 3-4 times a day... you're looking at around a 15mg - 11.25mg dose.

That's Children's Benadryl Liquid (12.5mg/teaspoonful diphenhydramine)

Always, it's best to check with your pediatrician... but those are the FDA's recommendations.

Remember, though... anytime you use any motion sickness medication, they will cause drowsiness, but hopefully you won't even need it on the ship.

Archived