Food allergies

How good is RCCL at dealing with food allergies? My 6 year old is allergic to milk, as well as at least one other thing we're hoping to pin down here between now and our scheduled cruise in March. They've indicated that I can bring my own almond milk for him, but how dairy-centric is their food?

Typically when we eat out, he's pretty much restricted to spaghetti or chicken strips, and I don't want him to have to eat just that stuff for a whole week.

How good is RCCL at dealing with food allergies? My 6 year old is allergic to milk, as well as at least one other thing we're hoping to pin down here between now and our scheduled cruise in March. They've indicated that I can bring my own almond milk for him, but how dairy-centric is their food?

Typically when we eat out, he's pretty much restricted to spaghetti or chicken strips, and I don't want him to have to eat just that stuff for a whole week.

There is a lot of cream sauces, desserts, etc. on board. I have multiple food allergies but usually just request the gluten free meals since that's the worst allergy. On every RCCL cruise I've been on the first night is a little crazy but at the end of it the headwaiter comes to talk with me regarding menus. They have never seemed rushed, and they go over each item carefully. I'm guessing that they are well informed with dairy since they are so good with gluten.

Usually I put in my dinner order the night before so the chief can be prepared. I have even been offered special dishes that none of the others get! The dining room is the safest place to eat, as the buffet requires guesswork to ingredients, altho I have had occasions when the headwaiter was working there when I came in and he helped me with some of the choices.

One of the main reasons I love to cruise is that it's a "safe" eating environment (except when I cheat on chocolate--I'm allergic to that, too).

I hope you pinpoint any other allergies before you leave. Taming the allergies makes a huge difference in one's life!

BTW, should you need to take a snack off ship, you are allowed to take prepackaged food off of the ship in ports--but only prepackaged! I take small packs of raisins, nuts, etc. to tide me over when out and about.

Good luck!

On every RCCL cruise I've been on the first night is a little crazy but at the end of it the headwaiter comes to talk with me regarding menus. They have never seemed rushed, and they go over each item carefully.

Usually I put in my dinner order the night before so the chef can be prepared. I have even been offered special dishes that none of the others get!

Have had the identical experience with my wife's diet. The head waiters have been very diligent about discussing the next evening's meal and the options available.

You will have no problem Good luck isolating that last item in your son's diet.

I am allergic to onions, shallots, scallions, leeks, chives, basically anything onion and I've always had great success with RCL. Like most of the other posters said the MDR waitstaff works very hard to make sure you can try foods typically out of your safe zone. Just make sure you contact RCL's special needs dept. Imperative.

Archived