New to cruising - some questions before I book a cruise

cruzin007

Hi everyone. New to this site and new to cruising. I usually take my vacation and fly to Florida and go to Disney. This year I really don't feel like flying and I haven't been on a vacation in two years.

A friend of mine suggested a cruise and it sounds like a good idea. I've been searching the web to find out which cruise lines don't charge the full rate for an infant and I found out that only NCL and Disney only charge port chages and taxes.

The vacation I am planning is for myself and I will be taking my daughter and her 2 kids. One will be about 10 months if we travel during the summer. That is the only time that I can get vacation time and my grandson will be off from school.

I'm not sure if I want to go to the Bahamas or to Bermuda. I know I want to sail out of New York.

Which has smoother water while sailing - going to Bermuda or sailing to the

Bahamas? Which NCL ship is more entertaining for kids? Is there a cruise ship that has a slide, etc?

I was looking at RCCL and the ships really look entertaining, but to pay for a 10 month old, I just can't see it. I've been reading on this site that NCL is cheaper.

Does NCL have any big sales? I was looking at the sale that they are having right now and it's not a sale on summer cruises at all. I've read on this site also that NCL and other cruise lines recently raised their rates -- raise the rates and then have a "so-called sale."

Does anyone know what other kind of promotions NCL can offer? On their website NCL claims they will offer other promotions during the six week summer blockbuster sale.

Do they ever put the summer cruises on sale? Has anyone gotten a bargain wth this sale for a summer cruise?

Any advice on which cruise I should book? I saw on the NCL website about Nickelodeon, but my grandson think it will be for babies.

Thanks for any info.

You might check out the family forums, this is more oriented to general family questions like yours.

One thing that does happen periodically is that the cruise lines offer discounts on the 3rd/4th person regardless of age. I am not sure about out of NY or not, but this could provide an alternative for you.

OP... I'm sorry I can't answer any of your specific questions. The one thing I did want to say is that with such a wide range of ages going in your group NCL is great with it's Freestyle cruising. Rather than having to rush back from what ever port you happen to be in, take your showers/baths and rush to get ready for a specific time for dinner.. you come back when you want to as long as it is before ships sailing and then take your time getting ready and eat where you want to based on what you feel like for that night. We have no kids, but I can tell you I read rave reviews for the Kids Club on NCL. Just bare in mind two things. There is a daily service charge for each passanger over the age of three and it is $12.00 per day. That replaces your traditional tips you have on a cruise. So really, other than that.. you don't HAVE to spend another dime once you board. This does not include tips to the Kids Club staff however.

Also, since it is your first cruise and you have mentioned cost being an issue I just want to try to let you know of other charges you will encounter once you are onboard. Soda's are extra, photo's taken by the ship, dining in a specialty restaurant (although the MDR's and included dining venus have great food so no need to eat in a Specialty restaurant unless you want to). Spa and salon services are extra, adult beverages, etc. I am sure if you want a more detailed list others could chime in as I always seem to leave out a few important ones. But the bottom line is it is totally up to you as to how much you spend once you are onboard, other than the daily service charge. Even with that cruising is a great family vacation and still one of the best vacation values going.

I just booked an NCL cruise yesterday including our infant daughter (11 months at the time of the cruise).

This is what I was charged,

$150 fare

$100.85 port charges

$29 insurance

Insurance is $99 for adults. The port fees are the same for all three of us.

I was unsure of what I would get for the $150 other than the cruise for her, but was pleasantly surprised that they will be providing us a high chair for the dining rooms and a crib/pack and play for the room for her to sleep in. I believe they have baby food too, but I need to check into that to be sure.

~Intrepid <--- sailing with my baby

I didn't think NCL charged for infants other than the port fees and taxes????

I just found it on their website:

Do children cruise for free?

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

To OP we like the ship to Bermuda from New York on NCL. It was nice that the ship stayed in port for 3 days so we didnt feel so rushed to get off the ship and see the island. We have 2 small children, last year when we went they were 18mos and 3. My older daughter loved the kids club and the younger one loved all the people. We paid a reduced fare plus port fees, but no daily service charge. It worked out to about 250.00. The crew was wonderful with the little ones and yes they gave us the pack n play(we called n advance so they had it for us-you bring your own sheet) and always had plenty of high chairs. We only brought our stroller. You never know what the fares will do I would say keep checking the discount sites as prices will fluctuate. You also should get at least a 3rd person rate for the younger child as long as all 4 of you are in the same room. But if you pick NCL you will find it is a nice vacation for a family with lots of different ages. In fact we liked it so much last year we are taking the same cruise this year in May.

Also on a side note I was traveling around the island last year alone for 1/2 day while my husband played golf and the Bermudan people we so nice and helpful and hospitable to a women with small children. A man put my bag and stroller on the bus for me while leaving his own luggage sitting in the street. And several women made sure I did not miss my stop by reminding the bus driver. Good luck with your choice.

You will probably see fewer sales out of NY and also to Bermuda. Since there are not many ships cruising out of NY or to Bermuda. Also, I believe Bermuda charges more for the cruise lines to dock and other fees.

I have not gone to Bermuda yet, but would love to. If I was going in July, I would prefer Bermuda since it is a little farther north. We did the Bahamas in August and the heat was pretty brutal.

You can hit rough seas anywhere and any time of year. You are more likely to hit the rough seas farther north, so the seas should not enter into your decision of Bahamas verses Bermuda.

You should look at other ports such as Baltimore, Boston, Norfolk.

NCL's 3rd and 4th passenger rates usually beat any other line I have looked at, but their per person/day service charge can be up to $2 more per person per day than other cruise lines and their taxes and port charges can also be higher than other cruise lines. Make sure if you are checking pricing on a travel web site or something, click all the way through to where it tells you the taxes and port fees as well.

The "suggested gratuities" on other lines and the "daily service charge" on NCL are really the same thing with different names. It really isn't optional on most lines any more.

Even with if the baby is free, Disney is probably more expensive overall, but it does include pop at the beverage station and at meals, while if you want pop on NCL, you will $2.50 or so per can, or just over $6/day for a pop card good for fountain drinks.

The Explorer of the Seas out of NJ is a wonderful ship. There are sometimes sales, but not as frequently as cruises out of FL.

CC is a great place to learn. Good luck in your search.

Archived