Tampa took my booze

StretchTTU

Just FYI for you guys...I had some Bud Light in my checked luggage onto the ship, they removed it from my luggage and kept it "in security" until the final night of the cruise around 7pm or so. It was delivered to our room not cold (as expected), so we didn't bother icing it down to enjoy it. Our room steward told us she'd make sure it didn't go to waste. :)

Just FYI for you guys...I had some Bud Light in my checked luggage onto the ship, they removed it from my luggage and kept it "in security" until the final night of the cruise around 7pm or so. It was delivered to our room not cold (as expected), so we didn't bother icing it down to enjoy it. Our room steward told us she'd make sure it didn't go to waste. :)

Did you have it in the original carton or did you try the hide the "beer" in the soda carton technique?

I didn't try to disguise it. I saw pictures from a thread a few months ago where the poster was able to take 2 cases on board in their checked bag, so I figured I'd give it a try, too...although I only tried it with one case.

Dear Stretch,

Thanks for posting an informative post about the situation and not pi$$ing and moaning about being caught breaking a rule you knew was there. :)

Haha, thanks. Everyone knows rules are meant to be broken. :)

I didn't try to disguise it. I saw pictures from a thread a few months ago where the poster was able to take 2 cases on board in their checked bag, so I figured I'd give it a try, too...although I only tried it with one case.

Was your luggage locked when you gave it to the porter?

Was your luggage locked when you gave it to the porter?

It was not. I don't know if that would have helped or not. I figured I had a pretty good chance at getting it on board to begin with. We booked a suite and had the VIP boarding privileges, etc.

Looking back, we should have done the rum runners with liquor or brought a box of wine. We did carry-on a bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne.

I'll be sure to let my BIL know. He wants to try smuggling beer on board.

I bought the rum runners for my... uh... "Tea";) Hopefully my luggage will make it thru with them. It's almost like being a kid again. Half the fun is seeing if you get caught.:p

I read this as you expected it would be delivered cold and had to chuckle.

I read this as you expected it would be delivered cold and had to chuckle.

Funny you mention that. We took the behind the fun tour...part of the tour is going into the walk-in fridge where they keep all the wine and beer. I saw about a dozen cases of Bud Light in 12 oz cans, which I thought was weird...don't they only serve 16 oz bottles on the ship? Anyway, the thought crossed my mind: "that would be so cool if they delivered the beer back to me cold." Haha

if his suitcase had been locked, and they chose his to look inside, they would have called him to come open up his suitcase

How do you know that?

Maybe they would have decided calling someone to down to open it wasn't worth the effort. On the other hand maybe they'd have though locking it was suspicious and made them even more likely to get that suitcase checked. Or maybe it would have made no difference at all, as you imply.

But either way, your answer is just speculation, unless you have some kind of inside info. All we know is that they sometimes confiscate from unlocked, and sometimes confiscate from locked. What we don't know is if locking increases, decreases, or has no effect on your chance of being caught.

How do you know that?

Maybe they would have decided calling someone to down to open it wasn't worth the effort. On the other hand maybe they'd have though locking it was suspicious and made them even more likely to get that suitcase checked. Or maybe it would have made no difference at all, as you imply.

But either way, your answer is just speculation, unless you have some kind of inside info.

Speaking of speculation....

Anyway, JKS is right. Its in the contract, and it's on the paper that Carnival left inside my luggage, as I said.

Speaking of speculation....

Huh? I didn't speculate on anything. I just said we don't know either way.

Anyway, JKS is right. Its in the contract, and it's on the paper that Carnival left inside my luggage, as I said.

Huh again? How does the fact that they have the authority to, and at least sometimes do, call passengers down to unlocked locked luggage prove they always do so?

We have no idea whether locking has any effect at all, and if it does, whether it's a positive or negative effect. Unless there is some inside information available out there which I am unaware of, which is certainly possible.

Any confiscated booze in the unopened original containers are supposed to be returned the last night.
Not anymore. READ your cruise contract 8 (f) All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.... Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark (Kick off the ship) any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

Too bad I didn't save that letter they left in my suitcase. It contradicts part of the Ticket Contract. I remember it saying something to the effect of "sealed containers will be brought to your cabin on the last night of the cruise" which is what happened...and "unsealed containers will be discarded".

Funny you mention that. We took the behind the fun tour...part of the tour is going into the walk-in fridge where they keep all the wine and beer. I saw about a dozen cases of Bud Light in 12 oz cans, which I thought was weird...don't they only serve 16 oz bottles on the ship? Anyway, the thought crossed my mind: "that would be so cool if they delivered the beer back to me cold." Haha

That was probably beer that had been confiscated from the cruise before- and once delivered to the original owners, they did not want them anymore (like the OP mentioned- he said the room steward said she would make sure it wasn't wasted! LOL!!) . So the crew threw them in the walk in fridge for their after hours party!!! LOL!!!! ;)

Oh, I get it...you want to argue over semantics. No thanks.

I don't even know what you are talking about. You say something that doesn't make sense and then say I'm arguing over semantics.

Whatever, it doesn't matter anymore. My point was just that the original claim was supposition.

Archived