Tampa took my booze

StretchTTU

Under FAQ

All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

And...

We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel. <-- i.e. you'll be called down to the naughty room so your bags can be inspected.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Funny you mention that. We took the behind the fun tour...part of the tour is going into the walk-in fridge where they keep all the wine and beer. I saw about a dozen cases of Bud Light in 12 oz cans, which I thought was weird...don't they only serve 16 oz bottles on the ship? Anyway, the thought crossed my mind: "that would be so cool if they delivered the beer back to me cold." Haha

They do serve 12oz cans for $3.95 in addition to the 16oz bottles for $5.75 at the bars. Guess at that point you have to start playing unit-cost economics...is that extra 4oz worth $1.80 or not... 4 12oz will save you a $1.45 over 3 16oz for the same amount of beer... :) Sorry, this is stretching longer than I intended but I'm daydreaming about my upcoming tab next week..... :D

I wouldn't bank on the soda replacement trick at Tampa either; last summer they opened up our case of luggage-packed and checked soda (and then taped it shut). I am guessing they were checking for smuggled alcohol (we had none).

if his suitcase had been locked, and they chose his to look inside, they would have called him to come open up his suitcase
A simple statement that has been posted on here many times. People have been called to go down and unlock their bags so they (Carnival Security) can look through them.

How do you know that? People posted it happened to them.

Maybe they would have decided calling someone to down to open it wasn't worth the effort. You do know we're talking about CCL, right??

On the other hand maybe they'd have though locking it was suspicious and made them even more likely to get that suitcase checked. Or maybe it would have made no difference at all, as you imply. He didn't imply anything. he stated that if Carnival wanted to look insided a locked bag they would call the owner to come down and unlock it.

But either way, your answer is just speculation, unless you have some kind of inside info. All we know is that they sometimes confiscate from unlocked, and sometimes confiscate from locked. What we don't know is if locking increases, decreases, or has no effect on your chance of being caught.

How can they confiscate from a locked bag unless the owner removes the lock, or they cut the lock off? No one said ANYTHING about locking a bag increasing or decreasing the chances of it being opened.

I'm pretty sure Carnival only opens those bags that once scanned shows contraband articles inside.

Speaking of speculation....

Anyway, JKS is right. Its in the contract, and it's on the paper that Carnival left inside my luggage, as I said.

And here is where tonight's episode of the Twilight Zone really gets interesting.

Huh? I didn't speculate on anything. I just said we don't know either way. Don't know what? We certainly don't know what you're trying to say or what you're reading, as your replies do not match what has been posted.

Huh again? How does the fact that they have the authority to, and at least sometimes do, call passengers down to unlocked locked luggage prove they always do so? Again, no one said they ALWAYS do or don't do anything. All that was said was that if they wanted to look inside a locked bag they would call the owner down to unlock it.

We have no idea whether locking has any effect at all, and if it does, whether it's a positive or negative effect. Unless there is some inside information available out there which I am unaware of, which is certainly possible.

Along with some of the outside information.

Oh, I get it...you want to argue over semantics. No thanks.
Listened to mom and dad when they warned you NOT to argue with crazy people, that's SMART.

I don't even know what you are talking about. That's QUITE obvious.

You say something that doesn't make sense and then say I'm arguing over semantics. Not exactly the way things went, but I'm sure that's your story and you're sticking to it.

Whatever, it doesn't matter anymore. My point was just that the original claim was supposition.

Oh, is that what's going on here? I forgot.

Not anymore. READ your cruise contract 8 (f) All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.... Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark (Kick off the ship) any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

Actually the revised Policy that was issued states that unopened containers will be held - admittedly not consistent with the Cruise Contract. ken

I'll be sure to let my BIL know. He wants to try smuggling beer on board.

I bought the rum runners for my... uh... "Tea";) Hopefully my luggage will make it thru with them. It's almost like being a kid again. Half the fun is seeing if you get caught.:p

Yep but hope tea makes it:p

OK, let me get this right.

They may or may not scan your baggage.

If they find something in the scan they will remove it if unlocked and leave you a note.

If it is locked and they find something on the scan they will call you down to unlock it.

two thousand peoples luggage and very little time to get it taken care of.......I like my odds;) especially since on all four of my cruises I locked my luggage and didn't have a problem:cool:

He didn't imply anything. he stated that if Carnival wanted to look inside a locked bag they would call the owner to come down and unlock it.

Actually, I have to admit you are right. For whatever reason I mis-read the post from jks336 as saying that that if the bag was locked you would always be called down to open it, but that's not what it said at all. It said if Carnival chose to look inside they'd call you to open it, and I can't dispute that.

My apologies to all.

Stretch, I was on the Dream two weeks ago and when the waiter came by on the first day asking if I wanted a bucket of Bud Light, I said no, didn't want to pay that much. He suggested, and then brought, a bucket of 12 oz Bud Lights on ice for about $14.00. Liked the price and the 12 oz cans. Stayed cold the whole time it took to drink.

Stretch, I was on the Dream two weeks ago and when the waiter came by on the first day asking if I wanted a bucket of Bud Light, I said no, didn't want to pay that much. He suggested, and then brought, a bucket of 12 oz Bud Lights on ice for about $14.00. Liked the price and the 12 oz cans. Stayed cold the whole time it took to drink.

Thanks for the info. I guess that explains the cases of 12 ounce beers I saw in the cooler on the tour.

Archived