How will the youth programs be with 14 kids on board?

jam82

We are sailing HAL next month to Alaska. As of today, there are 14 kids in the 3-12 age group. Will they run the whole program for just this number of kids? There are also 18 2 and unders and 80 teens.

I would say Yes. Most cruise lines always run their kids program no matter how few kids are on the ship. There are certain ships that only run children's programs during the summer months and holidays. I would just call HAL and ask to verify this. If it is one of those 'iffy' ships they will let you know.

Yes, HAL guest relations gave me that info today. I called them again and asked if the kids program would operate with only 14 kids and they said yes it will. Anyone ever cruise with such a small number of kids and have the kids club close?

Yes, HAL guest relations gave me that info today. I called them again and asked if the kids program would operate with only 14 kids and they said yes it will. Anyone ever cruise with such a small number of kids and have the kids club close?

Our 12 day Australia cruise only had about 35 kids on board and 4 of those were our family. Sometimes they combined the younger and mid groups (some had older siblings there). We thought it worked out great. My grandson was 3 at the time and got very nice one on one time. They still did the whole program just more time devoted to each kid. He came back with some nice gifts too. Not sure if they normally give stuff away or not (it was his birthday the first day of the cruise) but he did have a couple of new toys to take home.

That's good to know. Our son is 3 too and I just hate to think that he would get shut out. I understand that they will have to cater to the majority, but we want our son to be able to participate at least to some degree. This will be his 11th cruise and he just loves the kids club and we love him loving it. On a cruise a year ago, we picked him up one night past his bed time (after 11pm) and he was in the middle of the dance floor with the big kids just dancing the night away. If there is activity, he is good to go.

We have cruised Royal Caribbean in the fall while school was in session (we homeschool), and there were only a few kids on the ship. They still had the kid's programs, but they consolidated some of the age groups together. Not good news for my 12yo son who ended up in the same group as his 8yo sister, but they still had a good time. I think they will run the kids programs as long as a kid shows up.

Eurodam - Nov 2008 (kids age 7M, 2Y, 4Y and 4Y)

Westerdam - Nov 2009 (same kids one year older)

Niew Amst. - Dec 2010 (same kids one year older)

In both our November trips there were only about 35 kids total. We had 4 which was more than 10% of the kid population. The staff were great. Sometimes it would only be our kids in the club but they still did arts and crafts and had fun. Our kids only went there about an hour to 90 mins per day. In the evenings the younger kids merged with the older kids (8-10Y) in the next class and they watched movies together.

BTW....for your 3Y, make sure your son knows how to wipe, wash and pull up is pants really well and by himself. The staff do not do that. If he has an older sibling to help him that would work out too. I noticed on the Westerdam that the staff didn't help at all. Twice we went in there and a little boy (3 or 4Y) was in his underpants. He wet himself and was still in his wet underpants. His wet pants were on the bathroom floor and was there the whole time we were around. I would think the staff would have just picked up the wet pants and put them in a plastic bag for the parents. Then go wash their hands. It's no big deal but to see those soiled pants on the bathroom floor was disturbing. Maybe the notified the parents to come change their son but maybe they didn't. Who knows.

We have sailed when the kid counts were in the 20's. They do run a program and try to get the kids jazzed about attending kids club. They do combine age groups. They often do not follow the preplanned daily scheduled activities and let the kids in attendance sort of pick what goes on. They are much more flexible in hopes that all the kids on board will want to participate.

Archived