Shopping in Cozumel

sueart46

I just found out the diamond bracelet I purchased at a store at the pier in Cozumel did not have diamonds. The name of the store is Nota de Remision and they cheated me out of $350.00. I specifically asked them if the stones were diamonds and they said yes. They even started at a price of $600.00 and "came down to" $350.00. Does anyone know if I would have any recourse? Thanks.

Was this store on your cruise ship's recommended list? If so they should be able to help you.

The Mexican version of the Better Business Bureau is called Profesco or something similar. They might be able to help.

I do have to ask, if you were to go to Zales or Kay Jewelers do you think you could have paid $350 for a bracelet that was marked $600? Or do you think the bracelet you got in Mexico (If it had real diamonds) could have been purchased in your hometown for $350?

If the answer to both questions is NO, I think we learned a lesson today. Buying jewelry on vacation is not going to get you a GREAT bargain. They have to pay the same amount for gold and diamonds as jewelers in the US do, they save on the labor, but that is a small percentage of the total cost of a piece of jewelry.

Was this store on your cruise ship's recommended list? If so they should be able to help you.

The Mexican version of the Better Business Bureau is called Profesco or something similar. They might be able to help.

I do have to ask, if you were to go to Zales or Kay Jewelers do you think you could have paid $350 for a bracelet that was marked $600? Or do you think the bracelet you got in Mexico (If it had real diamonds) could have been purchased in your hometown for $350?

If the answer to both questions is NO, I think we learned a lesson today. Buying jewelry on vacation is not going to get you a GREAT bargain. They have to pay the same amount for gold and diamonds as jewelers in the US do, they save on the labor, but that is a small percentage of the total cost of a piece of jewelry.

that would be PROFECO. Here's the link,

http://www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm

Archived