Ease of island hopping

Kirbydale

We are staying in Hawaii until the following Tuesday evening after our cruise in June. I just learned that Kona has a half marathon on Sunday morning. I love running and am excited about the opportunity to run a race in Hawaii as I may never have the opportunity again. The fares are reasonable to fly back to Kona- but how easy is it? Will we spend lots of time at the airports with security/check-in as we would at a bigger airport on the mainland?

I am thinking of just flying over Saturday late afternoon and coming back pretty quickly Sunday after the race. There are things in Honolulu we are looking to do. I guess the other question is, if we know where we are staying Sunday-Tuesday do you think they would store our luggage so we only have to travel to Kona with an overnight bag?

Thanks for your help!

The security process at Honolulu airport is not much different than airports on the mainland. I am assuming you would be flying Hawaiian Air. The lines through security usually move very quickly for the interisland flights. Of course, Kona airport is much smaller, and you should not have any problems there.

You will have a rental car to return in Kona, so allow time for that.

I guess what I am saying is that interisland travel has changed, but it is still relatively easy. The days of running up to the gate to catch a flight on the spur of the moment are long gone. You definitely have to add some time on now for security checks, etc.....but I would go for it. Good luck in the marathon!!

Archived