Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

Re your post:

Yes, the CA economy is still terrible - unemployment ultra high and not expected to change any time soon. Economies of nearby Nevada and AZ aren't much better, frankly. Those three states alone tended to heavily populate the Mariner out of San Pedro on the Mexican Riviera route. Add to that the never changing itinerary, i.e., lack of ability to visit 'new' ports, AND the crime factor in Mexico, and I can totally understand taking Mariner to other locales.

According to the press release, this is a business decision; it's what Wall Street wants, i.e., the stockholders -- so that's that --

As for me, if for some reason I want to take yet another cruise to Mexico just to sail for 7 nights, I'll take Carnival -- done it before -- not bad at all.

Since they couldn't attract sufficient passengers on that itinerary this time, I doubt they will be in a hurry to return and are probably not going to worry about attracting customers if and when they do. The problem isn't filling 50,000 berths every night. They seem to do that very well, so much so that fares are increasing (not only on RCI but other lines as well). The problem was filling the Mariner every week and that is the reason for the move. If onboard revenues are the culprit that seems to be more prevalent on west coast cruises than on any others. Perhaps the California economy isn't recovering as quickly as it is in other regions of the nation. If any white elephant exists it apparently is the limited variety of itineraries possible out of California. :rolleyes:

I was looking forward to a RCCL Mariner cruise next Spring Break. I called this time around and they were fully booked!!! Carnival's Splendor is a fantastic clean ship with amazing food so it won't disappoint. Sadly I don't want to take a Disney ship as it is toooo much Disney for my taste and the prices are extreme. Please send us a new RC ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit I too am a bit upset to see yet another ship leave the West Coast. Originally it was going to be the battle between the Splendor and the Mariner sadly it looks like Mariner is calling it quits and leaving. From what I can tell the ship is always selling out so that is not the problem and while the pricing is not nearly as high as they tried to be when she first came to the West Coast it is still quite high. The problem is the the low on board revenue/spending. That is where all the Mass Market cruise lines make their money. The west coast spending is just not as good. I honestly feel it has nothing to do with any problems in Mexico because ships are still calling on Cozumel on the East Coast. It is all in the hands of the Bean Counters and the West Coasters are not doing nearly as much on board spending.

The West Coast will be losing the CCL Elation from San Diego in a few weeks, that leaves only the CCL Paradise on the West Coast doing 3 and 4 day cruises. Talk about a monopoly :rolleyes: Those prices are rising daily. Then NCL has annouced they are pulling out the NCL Star so there will be no NCL ships on the West Coast. For 7 day runs that leaves only the Splendor (year round), HAL Oosterdam in San Diego (Oct to April) and Sapphire Princess LA (Oct. to April) The HAL Oosterdam also will not be doing that many 7 day runs and will be mixing it up with a lot of 10 day sailings which makes it hard for the working class to take those extra day :o Also not likely you will see me on another PCL sailing so it looks like I better find a way to get on the Mariner yet this year.

I really feel like the West Coast is the Red Headed Step Child :(

The Disney Wonder will arrive on the West Coast about the same time the Mariner is leaving. Hopefully they will not have a bow on collision.

Well... son of a ship! There goes our Fall of 2011 cruise plans. Guess I need to check out Carnival huh?

my exact thoughts.....so dissapointed i researched this ship for a month after finally deciding that this was the one for me.....and coincidentally the same day this happened so i was def bummed. all that research for nothing. i guess i will go on the splendor for a second time fall 2011

The Disney Wonder will arrive on the West Coast about the same time the Mariner is leaving. Hopefully they will not have a bow on collision.

Yes, I am aware of that but Disney will be drawing a whole different cruising demographics. Many of their sailings are already sold out and 90% of cruisers without children will not even look to Disney to cruise. Disney will be bringing out many new cruisers (families) from the West Coast because of their product for families. I honestly think that Mariner could have still existed just fine with really no competition from Disney. I am actually not so sure that RCCL thought Disney was a threat, I just think they need to have their ships in markets where they can continue to attract NEW cruisers. It is NEW cruisers that spend lot of money for on board expenses since they buy all the photos, tend to do more drinking, and do far more excursions. It is people like my husband and I and all of the many hundreds of avid West Coast Cruisers that do not spend the money. We are all cruise savvy, we no longer want the pictures and we have been to PV, Mazatlan and Cabo so many times that it feels like home. RCCL needs cruisers that will spend the money and moving her they hope will find them the revenue they are looking for.

So... Thinking out loud here....

*I began cruising with Carnival several years ago. After three cruises with them I...

*Started sailing with Royal Caribbean and never went on Carnival again.... then...

*Royal Caribbean moved out of the 3/4 day market on the West coast. (The 4 day was my favorite so I could be home weekends for my son's sports)... then...

*Although upset, I decided to not cruise Carnival since I liked the RCL ships more... all the while having friends locally begging me to sail Carnival with them... but...

*I decided on 4 different sailings with RCL within a 12 month period recently totaling 26 days at sea... however...

*My loyalty (and that of so many others) is being disregarded by RCL by offering no sailings from the West coast which are so convenient for us.

Guess it is back to Carnival for me for now.

It's good you've decided to move on! And now you'll be able to go with your friends without them having to resort to begging, so you've found a silver lining after all.

We all have to understand that business decisions of this magnitude can't always be made based on our convenience needs as consumers. I was pretty upset when they closed my favorite and closest Starbucks too, but I realize there are factors more relevant to decisions made in the interest of corporate growth (or even survival) than my personal geographic preferences and brand loyalty. I still go to Starbucks because I like their product, maybe just not as often because it's not as convenient. I moved on too.

So if you decide you still like the product and want to sail on RCCL again, there are many folks on these boards who can advise and help you save on airfare, hotels, and package deals. The number of people who travel more than 500 miles to ports is staggering. Lots of us have to travel major distances to departure ports, and we not only survive it - we find ways to enjoy it!

Sob...My sister in I were booked in a corner aft for Jan 16, 2011. It was SUPPOSE to be Jan of 2010, but she got cancer and we had to move it back a year.

So we have been looking forward to this for 2 years and now nothing! The replacement cruise, been there done that already. Not sure what we will do at this point. No way are there any corner afts available.

Yes, I am aware of that but Disney will be drawing a whole different cruising demographics. Many of their sailings are already sold out and 90% of cruisers without children will not even look to Disney to cruise.

There is a Rent A Child center in next door Long Beach. Go there, rent a kid or two and book yourself a Disney cruise. What could be easier?

I was looking forward to a RCCL Mariner cruise next Spring Break. I called this time around and they were fully booked!!! Carnival's Splendor is a fantastic clean ship with amazing food so it won't disappoint. Sadly I don't want to take a Disney ship as it is toooo much Disney for my taste and the prices are extreme. Please send us a new RC ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney is for kids not retired folk..............we loved our MOS B2B in Jan. But Mexico is not that exciting twice in a row, just to do a longer cruise. We would have loved it if the MOS went further South and then back to LA. But now it is going. We sure hope the same size ship comes back but I guess it is not to be.....:(

The West Coast is left out in the RCL cold..............:eek:

Disney is for kids not retired folk..............we loved our MOS B2B in Jan. But Mexico is not that exciting twice in a row, just to do a longer cruise. We would have loved it if the MOS went further South

Catch the January 16, 2011 sailing. The ship is going really far south.

hmm, this sucks, 1st the monarch, now the mariner, i think LA will get a ship back, can't be nothing, i mean, does RCI really want to five carni full control? i hope not. maybe RCI should had a new build designed for the west coast, lol

RCCL passed the torch a couple years back when they pulled the Monarch out and didn't replace it with another ship. It really didn't make much sense to bring the Mariner to LA in the first place. A Radiance class ship would of been an upgrade over the Vision and they could of moved a Radiance ship up to Alaska in the Summer. That would of been a great option if the year round Mexican Riviera cruises didn't work out. It seems to me that RCCL just wanted to one up Carnival, knowing Carnival was bringing over the new Splendor.

RCCL passed the torch a couple years back when they pulled the Monarch out and didn't replace it with another ship. It really didn't make much sense to bring the Mariner to LA in the first place. A Radiance class ship would of been an upgrade over the Vision and they could of moved a Radiance ship up to Alaska in the Summer. That would of been a great option if the year round Mexican Riviera cruises didn't work out. It seems to me that RCCL just wanted to one up Carnival, knowing Carnival was bringing over the new Splendor.

I doubt that they were trying to "one up" Carnival, lappy. Be competitive, yes.

If I recall correctly, Royal Caribbean made the announcement about the Mariner coming to Los Angeles before Carnival made the announcement about the Splendor coming to Los Angeles.

If I recall correctly, Royal Caribbean made the announcement about the Mariner coming to Los Angeles before Carnival made the announcement about the Splendor coming to Los Angeles.

That's what I was trying to figure out too. I couldn't remember which one was first.

Making the announcement first doesn't mean that RCCL didn't know what Carnival's plans were.

That's what I was trying to figure out. I couldn't remember which one was first.

I'm going by memory. However, I think I recall thinking that Carnival was countering the Mariner with the Splendor. However, I think the Dream would have been a better counter. Now I guess it doesn't matter, except that a Spirit class ship (such as the Pride, which was replaced by the Splendor) can spend more time in Cabo than the Splendor.

Perhaps Carnival can take over Royal Caribbean's route and let Disney have Carnival's old route. I like Cabo - Mazatlan - PV better than PV - Mazatlan - Cabo.

So I read about this on CC last night and because I hadn't yet been contacted by the on-line travel agency, I was hoping it was all a big mistake. Not so. I got an e-mail this morning informing me my March 2011 cruise was no more.

I am so disappointed. :(:( This was going to be my first time on Mariner, my first aft balcony, and my first solo cruise. I mean, I only made my reservation a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't even had time to update my signature and now, poof, not only is my cruise gone but the ship and RCI from the west coast. CRAP!

Katink

I feel your pain! I only enquired about prices Tuesday, Booked Wednesday (only to be told the price had gone up overnight due to lack of cabins left for the Jan 16 sailing) and paid $1500 YESTERDAY! I can't believe they took my money yesterday and not only that but they put the price up for a cruise that was never going to take off! Hmmmmmmm :confused:

There was a rumor the prior year that the Navigator was coming to Los Angeles. That didn't work out because there was no dry dock for it. As Royal Caribbean was adding more and more big ships, I guess Royal Caribbean felt, that dry dock or no, they had to put one of the older big ships (the Mariner is from 2003 - in 2006, 2007 & 2008 Royal Caribbean added the three Freedom class ships to the fleet) somewhere, and Los Angeles looked like the best place to put it.

Now I guess Rome looks better. Maybe in 2014 or 2015 Los Angeles will get a Freedom class ship.

I'm going by memory. However, I think I recall thinking that Carnival was countering the Mariner with the Splendor. However, I think the Dream would have been a better counter. Now I guess it doesn't matter, except that a Spirit class ship (such as the Pride, which was replaced by the Splendor) can spend more time in Cabo than the Splendor.

Perhaps Carnival can take over Royal Caribbean's route and let Disney have Carnival's old route. I like Cabo - Mazatlan - PV better than PV - Mazatlan - Cabo.

We actualy prefer the PV-Mazatlan-Cabo route better. There always seems to be much more wind heading north. But I did like having two sea days to end the cruise on the Mariner, except for the high winds.

There was a rumor the prior year that the Navigator was coming to Los Angeles. That didn't work out because there was no dry dock for it. As Royal Caribbean was adding more and more big ships, I guess Royal Caribbean felt, that dry dock or no, they had to put one of the older big ships (the Mariner is from 2003 - in 2006, 2007 & 2008 Royal Caribbean added the three Freedom class ships to the fleet) somewhere, and Los Angeles looked like the best place to put it.

Now I guess Rome looks better. Maybe in 2014 or 2015 Los Angeles will get a Freedom class ship.

You are right. I'm playing Monday Quarterback with this. I didn't think it was a good move at the time either. Adding so many cabins to the same route that everybody else is already sailing. With a Radiance class ship they could of mixed things up a bit, and still go to Alaska in the summer.

Archived