Room Service Charge?

lovecruising62

Spoke with a few supervisors who all assured me it IS included.

Yes, room service is included in your cruise fare.

Now, did you ask them about tipping the delivery person or if there was any charge for room service?

My guess is you seem to not want to tip this person and that is your choice. Others here have strictly suggested what is customary.

PE

Yes' date=' room service is included in your cruise fare.[/color']

Now, did you ask them about tipping the delivery person or if there was any charge for room service?

My guess is you seem to not want to tip this person and that is your choice. Others here have strictly suggested what is customary.

PE

Sorry for the vague post. I will clarify: Each time I asked "are room service staff members included in the daily service charge?"

Each time they replied something to the effect of "Yes" "Yes because the service is free to everyone onboard" "they're not like the butler and concierge who provide an additional service only available to certain guests" etc.

I have taken a few NCL cruises and am aware that there is no charge for room service.

Under the tipping section on the NCL FAQ page:

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Since not everyone uses room service- I have and always will tip those who deliver to my room.

I did read that part, but I felt like since the service is included for everyone, they don't fall under this category. If there was a charge for RS, I would feel a gratuity is warranted and we wouldn't be having this discussion. But because it is a complimentary service to anyone who wishes to use it, not something we pay extra for like a massage or a drink, the crew members who provide it should be included in the DSC pool.

For what it's worth, we have spoken with Chef Andreas who is the head Chef aboard the Star and he told us specifically that room service staff are staff members who volunteer for that extra work and who get paid ONLY what they made in tips. He was showing us the area where the food is basically waiting to be delivered (stuff that is already made up in advance) and where the room service folks put it together before bringing it up. He said generally there are two on duty and if they have good luck will actually get three.

I do not expect you to have any more faith in my posting since I do not have it in writing on NCL's website, but I know what the truth is and so do most people reading this thread.

In reading through this thread, I do not find any place where Nezume said he was not going to tip room service.

Not one.

Bit of over-reaction maybe?

Think I will email corporate and ask them.

For what it's worth, we have spoken with Chef Andreas who is the head Chef aboard the Star and he told us specifically that room service staff are staff members who volunteer for that extra work and who get paid ONLY what they made in tips. He was showing us the area where the food is basically waiting to be delivered (stuff that is already made up in advance) and where the room service folks put it together before bringing it up. He said generally there are two on duty and if they have good luck will actually get three.

I do not expect you to have any more faith in my posting since I do not have it in writing on NCL's website, but I know what the truth is and so do most people reading this thread.

Thanks for the info. I will take your word for it, but I will still ask when onboard. Glad to know someone else asks about these things too and doesn't just make assumptions!

In reading through this thread, I do not find any place where Nezume said he was not going to tip room service.

Not one.

Bit of over-reaction maybe?

Think I will email corporate and ask them.

Please let us know what they say! Thanks for the unbiased input. I know people talking asking about adjusting the DSC causes fire in the bellies of many a poster here on CC but I had no idea asking for a source would too!

Archived