Taxi or rental car?

peter grant

We've been to Barbados twice on cruises, have taken all the ship's tours we need, and are seeking advice for our next visit by ship. We'd like to visit more remote parts of the island away from the typical tourist trails and traps – north coast, perhaps – stop somewhere for a nice lunch and have some resort time. Renting a car seems like the sensible thing to do, but a taxi (or more than one) is an option.

Suggestions?

Driving is on the left side of the road and the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. Like they use in London. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

There is an extensive bus system that will take you to almost all the beeches. Decide which beach you want to 'resort' at, and check out the buse schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car on a trip to Grand Cayman. By the time we picked it up, figured out how to get to where we wanted to go and actually getting there, we killed between one and two hours.

We used to rent mopeds and scooters in Bermuda, but that became a risky operation. The last time we went there we purchased the day pass for the bus. It worked out great.

I would recommend sticking with public transportation, be it taxi or bus. As you know, there are tons of taxis at the ship terminal in Barbados.

Have a great time.

We rented a car in Barbados a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It gave us the freedom to go where we wanted when we wanted. We did make a few wrong turns, but we ended up seeing some gorgeous views and estates that we didn't expect to so I think that is all part of the fun. The locals were very friendly when we asked for directions at one of our stops. Stoutes Car Rental is right at the cruise terminal if you are interested and they were very easy to deal with.

We rented a car in Barbados a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It gave us the freedom to go where we wanted when we wanted. We did make a few wrong turns, but we ended up seeing some gorgeous views and estates that we didn't expect to so I think that is all part of the fun. The locals were very friendly when we asked for directions at one of our stops. Stoutes Car Rental is right at the cruise terminal if you are interested and they were very easy to deal with.

If you don't mind me asking - how much was the rental for the day?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can you tell me about Stoutes Car rental at Barbados terminal?

1.)Did you reserve a car ahead of time?

2.)Was car actually there, or did you have to be driven to main office?

Any details are helpful, including things you saw that were worth poking around at.

Archived