Taxis at pier in Barcelona?

I know I sound like I have never travelled in Europe ... well, that's true. Do the taxi drivers at the airport and port in Barcelona speak English? I don't have even a rudamentary knowledge of Spanish so am concerned about getting to my hotel and to the airport? Thanks and I'm sorry if that sounds really bad? Laurey

Laurey,

I haven't been to Spain, but from my experience in Greece & Turkey the taxi driver's do know some English, if not just enough to take you where you want to go. Bring a copy of your hotel website printed from the internet or, just the name would probably work and show it to the cab driver, just so there is no confusion. I'm sure all will be fine, but I did read to make sure you say the cruise port, because saying 'port' can leave you at the airport!:p

As promised in my prior post, I did hear from Angie from Taxi Internacion for a price estimate and I was able to reserve with her via email. Sent her the reservation request yesterday and got a confirmation today.

Hope you've heard from her

I still have not heard word one after a number times contacting her. :confused: I guess I will look elsewhere. I am happy you are all set. I want to hear all about your cruise when you return!

Aloha, Ginger:)

There are plenty of taxi's at the pier. The lines to get one can be long though. Just try to get an early departing time and you wouldn't have any problems.

The taxi drivers do speak English. Some better than others. The suggestion about having a print out of your hotel name and address is a good idea. We had stayed pre-cruise at a hotel and we had their card for our post cruise. And it was a good thing. Our taxi driver misunderstood where we were going and took us to the wrong hotel. I had to dig to find the card we had and showed it to him and then he took us to the right place.

Does anyone know what a regular taxi would cost from the pier to a hotel at the top of La Ramblas and then from the hotel to the airport? Is there a difference between a regular taxi and some of the previously mentioned services in terms of pricing?

• 1 month later...

I got a fairly quick response from Angie who told me that she was available for 35 Euro from the port to the airport and said she'd send a reservation form in Feb. I have not heard from her since and emailed her twice to reconfirm. I just contacted Barcelona Taxi and hope they're more responsive than Angie.

Joan

Just to add my two cents worth. I did not pre-arrange a taxi and there was a line of them there waiting at the pier. You'll have no problems. A taxi from the pier to a gothic district hotel was 15 Euro or less, if i recall. Barcelona is just like any other large US city. Taxis everywhere and eager to take you.

I have read with interest the recommendations on this post and I emailed all three - got answers from all three within 12 hours. They vary from 35 Euro all the way to 77 Euro for the same trip - airport to hotel near the port. Angie was the least expensive and she has confirmed a van for the 4 of us and luggage for a 12 night cruise - thought she might suggest a seperate vehicle just for the luggage! :D Laurey

Glad you found someone with a van who speaks English. If you pack like you're back in the 1930's (like my wife does!) and disembark with several steamer trunks in tow, or if you're travelling with additional companions, you definitely should reserve a van in advance. Most of the taxis at the pier were compact cars, and were unable to carry more than 2 passengers and their accompanying suitcases.

But at least they all seemed to have on-board devices that took credit cards, so you can let Visa or Mastercard worry about the conversion rate. Not to go off this thread, but check the fine print of your updated credit card agreement before you run up a large overseas bill - most of the issuing banks (e.g. Citibank, CM, MH) are now adding a 2-3% "convenience" fee for overseas transactions, above and beyond the existing 1-2% conversion fee that VISA and MC already charge. AmEx, on the other hand, charges a straight 2%, since they issue theire own cards. Be warned!

For those who have booked Angie you do not have to worry. She is great. We used her in August 2004 to pick us up at the airport to go to our hotel. We stayed in Barcelona 1 day before the cruise and 2 days after. We arranged with Angie to take us from the hotel to the port, to pick us up at the end of the cruise to go back to the hotel and then from the hotel back to the airport. She always met us at the time that we had agreed. She had a sign with our name on it at the airport and again at the port.

I had no luck getting Angie to reconfirm our reservation after her initial response telling us that she was available. I emailed her three times in the last two weeks asking her to reconfirm. After getting no answer, I booked Barcelona Taxi who by the way charges 25 Euro while Angie charges 35 Euro for transfer from ship to airport.

Joan

Archived