Cave Tubing in Belize - muddy? dark? claustrophobic?

Gramsof7

I posted this on another very long, and probably outdated posting. No response, so thought I would start a new thread.

On some boards, we've read that the cave tube tour is very muddy and slippery on the trail in, that the caves are very, very dark, and therefore claustrophobic to "some of us". And often the river runs excessively high - and cold. We will be there on 16 March, and are considering this, among others, as our shore excursion. Would like to hear opinions, pro and con, about this trip.

Thanks!

We were cave tubing a couple of years ago, but I can remember enough to try and help you.

Actually, a couple of your questions are going to depend on what the weather is like both the day you are there and for several days preceding your visit.

The trail was dry and in good condition when we were there. However, if it is raining or has been raining before you get there the trail may definitely be muddy and slippery.

Same goes for the river. If they have had alot of rain in the days before you get there, the river is going to be running high and a little fast. Sometimes, if it has been dry there, the river will run low. So low that you will actually have to get off of your tubes in couple of spots and walk around areas where the water will only be a few inches deep. When we were there, the water level was about perfect. Not to high but yet we didn't have to "portage" around any areas. I didn't find the water to be excessively cold, but it will be cooler than the ocean.

I don't have any problems with claustophobia, so it is hard for me to help you here. Remember, you are actually only in the caves about 1/2 of the trip and the cave ceilings are pretty high above the water. I would guess 10-15 feet and the width of the river is about 20-30 feet. There is a couple of caves in which you will be deep enough to experience almost total blackness, so that might be more scary for some people.

We enjoyed the trip and definitely recommend it to anyone.

Archived