Just off the Destiny

After over a year of planning and reading positive and negative reviews, stories about broken ship, broken glass on doors, etc.... my cruise has come to an end. This was my first carnival cruise, and i was very happy with it.

I have to say that the destiny was a very nice ship. Embarkation and debarkation was very simple and fast. THe kiosks made things very quick. We were on board by about 11:30.

The buffets were good, but yes not set up in a fashion that i am used to. No "stations". Just one long line...

I think i saw the glass that was to replace the broken glass people talked about. It was on a dolly on day 1.

The dining room was nice, our waiter Alexander was very professional and his helper Renaldo was alot of fun.

Our room steward, Carter, took very good care of our room. We had a plugged shower drain, and it was taken care of within several hours.

We even had an unfortunate chance to use first aid, my daughter had sliced her knee open in the gift shop on Half Moon Cay, and the nurse & doctor took good care of her and had to close up the gash with stiches.

Speaking of Half Moon Cay....The most beautiful island i have ever seen. My daughter did horseback and loved it. (unfortunately my other daughter & I missed due to cutting the knee which happened minutes before our excurstion).

That's it for now...very tired....Any ?'s just ask.

Oh yeah....the sewer smell.....YEP, It's there! Gross!

Glad to hear you had a good experience. We go on the Destiny in 2 weeks for a B2B and can't wait.

I haven't read too many reviews so I'm curious, what do you mean by the buffet line? From what you described, I'm picturing just one long set up, as opposed to a dessert area, fruit area, etc as on others?

You will enjoy....

The buffet line is pretty much one long line, and there is only one buffet...On my past 2 cruises there were 2 buffets and what i call "stations" where you could line up to get "just dessert" or "just sides" or "just carvings" the Destiny is mainly one line. There is one "station" that had salad at lunch time, and desserts at dinner time. The line gets pretty long at times. You can eat breakfast & lunch in the main dining room. We did breakfast there twice, and the service there was quick. Can be done in about half an hour or so.

Enjoy your cruise, we did. This morning as we sat on our balcony for the last time, I was wishing we did a back to back.

The buffet line on the Destiny is very very slow. If they had stations like other ships it may be better. If I am ever aboard Destiny again I will avoid the buffets. The MDR for breakfast and lunch never had a wait when I was aboard.

Also, I found the buffet food to be room temperature by the time I finally got the food.

I went on her at Christmastime, and the buffet lines were the only downside of the entire cruise. I'm leaving on her again Thursday...can't wait. I think I'll try the MDR for lunch...I hadn't even consdered that before. Thanks fr the idea ;)

Another update.....

The warm chocolate melting cake.....To Die For...Had it Every Night!!!!

We used SAS Transportation from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Miami Hotel...Very convenient. Cost $13 pp because we had 7 people...it varies by how many people. Took taxi from Holiday Inn Port of Miami Hotel to Miami Port - cost only about $6

Grand Turk - stayed at Margerittaville sp?. Was very nice resort...beautiful pool, nice beach, but not as nice as half moon cay.

Had room 1015 - please note....balcony not covered like carnival told me it was...but i was prepared because i had learned that on cruise critic. Deck 10 was awesome location...close to everything...only about 12 rooms...very quiet, except for deck party night, we could hear stomping above our room....would probably stay on deck 9 if i sailed her again, close to front of ship.

That's it for now...will post more as i think of things.

Do you have any pics of rm 1015?

It looks like the mini golf was above you. Did you have many people looking over the rail onto your balcony? We chose this side of ship hoping the mini golf would be closed at night, and thus give us more privacy than being on the port side.

Thanks

dalsti - actually, its funny you ask, i was just relooking at the carnival book tonight, because we thought mini golf was above us, but mini golf is not even near our room. Mini golf was kind of wrapped around the smokestack. It seems as their picture of how things are layed out on deck 11 is wrong.

Above the spa deck rooms is actually a pool deck with chairs. It was very quiet except for the night of the late night party, when we could hear people stomping above us. It only lasted about an hour.

We did have people looking over balcony above, most didn't bother us, except for the last evening, a kid poured water over the balcony above. The lower numbered rooms on the spa deck have like plexiglass on the deck above so no one could lean over. If i go again, i would try for one of those. The location was perfect.

I will try to get a picture of room posted for you this coming weekend. Room 1015 had the two double beds pushed together as a king, the couch was made into a bed, and had a bed that folded out of ceiling.

Hope this helps!

Froufie- In nassau, we took watertaxi to Atlantis - cost was $3 pp one way. There we went to a couple shops, and looked at the aquarium in the lobby. Did not go in, kinda wish we did.

Elegant night - some were dressed up, some not....nothing special for me...wore a skirt/blouse. Lobster was served for dinner.

I believe I saw sushi somewhere, did not try, not interested.

glad to hear u had a great cruise after all the issues this winter

ive got Qs

*could u confirm what night is elegant night?

*would be swell to be aboard by 11:30 am, did u have VIP embarkation?

if not what time did u arrive @ pier to get such a good boarding group?

keishashadow - Thank you, yes the cruise was wonderful. We did the 5 day eastern, with day 2 at sea, day 3 turk, day 4 private island, day 5 nassau. Our elegant night was day 2, the day at sea.

Did not have VIP. We left our hotel in downtown miami about 10:15 a.m. so probalby got to port and unloaded taxi by 10:30 the latest. We had boarding group # 2.

Archived