Possible to do the Baths with a 2 & 5 Year old?

rsharma1033

Hello,

I've seen some pictures on here of the baths and it looks like it could be pretty difficult to navigate. We would love to go there but we're not sure if it would be possible to take our 2 and 5 year old. What are your thoughts?

We're travelling in a group of 5 adults, so it is possible for us to take turns while a couple of us go. If we do this, where would be the best area to wait to take turns....or is this just too much of a headache?

Any input or information would be much appreciated....thanks!!

Hello,

I've seen some pictures on here of the baths and it looks like it could be pretty difficult to navigate. We would love to go there but we're not sure if it would be possible to take our 2 and 5 year old. What are your thoughts?

We're travelling in a group of 5 adults, so it is possible for us to take turns while a couple of us go. If we do this, where would be the best area to wait to take turns....or is this just too much of a headache?

I hope someone who has actually done The baths with small children will reply but I have observed small children doing The Baths on a number of occasions. Frankly the 5-year old will have the easiest time of anyone in your group (there are crouching spots that will challenge adults but will be a piece of cake for the 5 year old). With 5 adults to handle the two kids - I would be surprised if it will be a big problem.

We did it with a 4 and 6 year old, and it was easy enough. I can only think of one spot that would be a real challenge, and that is where you are "climbing" a rock using a rope to steady yourself at the beginning (going from the first beach over to Devil's bay), but I would definitely think it was doable.

Unless you have your heart set on the Baths themselves, another option would be to go to Spring Bay Beach instead. It is the next bay over from the Baths (when you are taking the taxi from town it is before you get to the parking lot for the Baths - just ask the taxi to drop you off there). It is a very nice beach, with some of the same large boulders that you will find at the Baths. A short walk will take you to a place called The Crawl, which is a natural "pool" formed by the rocks. Very calm, and a great place for kids, as well as easy snorkeling. Spring Bay Beach also has picnic tables and swings. When you are done just walk back up to the main road and flag down one of the taxis returning from the Baths.

My dgtr is 9yo and we went to the baths by catameran last week. The climbing inside of the boulders involved some very steep and awkward wooden ladders. People had to help her as the rocks were wet and slippery. If you can get someone to wander w the kids seperately, I think it could work. But they shouldn't expect to go on the entire path thru the Baths with the grown-ups..

I think the 5 year old might do OK, but the 2 year old would have a hard time. Even walking down from the parking lot might be a bit hard for a 2 year old, but if you don't mind carrying them (especially back up) you could do it. When you get to the bottom, there is a beach off to the right where someone could stay with the young ones while the other go through the Baths. If you are going in shifts be sure to leave enough time - each group will probably take at least 1-1/2 hours to crawl through the Baths, relax at Devil's Bay, and crawl back to the starting point. Of course you could agree not to go all the way through.

Take the kids. This place is made for them (and for kids at heart). Don't just rush through to get down to devils bay. Don't wait for a tour group or guide. Take your time and let the kids explore the little side places. Make sure you can get through small side routes before your kids crawl through or have them on a leash so you can pull them back out. Don't try to keep up with the other 5 adults. If you never make it to devils bay that day, that means your kids are having too much fun in the rocks, and that's a good thing. Remember, this is their trip too and this is a great place for them (Mainly the 5 year old.) My wife and I spent 4 hours there last week. We spent 10 minutes on devils bay beach (where one of the stupid chickens bit my toe) and the rest of the time was exploring the rocks from end to end. Have a blast.

Hello,

We went to the Baths recently with our almost 2 year old.

Now let me tell you how it works, you take a ferry to Virgin Gorda and then a cab to the Baths which I think was described in the sign as a national park. You walk down about 10 minutes on a path with wooden/rocky stairs, trees all around, nice walk, relatively easy to do even if holding the children's hands or carrying the 2 year old. All the way down is a very pretty beach with huge rocks all around, and trees.

From there and to the side starts the actual bath part you are referring to that might be hard to do with children, which is a rocky path that takes you all the way to the other side where there is another beach.

Well, I think it will definitely be hard with a 2 year old to do the rocky path. We went there after reading here on the boards that it was OK to do with small children and figured maximum we would carry him around. When we got there we realized it was not so easy and quite unsafe, especially as OP mentioned the part where you climb a big rock hill holding a rope. The rock is slippery, and we wouldn't have been able to do it holding the rope with just one hand (while holding our son). I tried to climb it on my own while DH and son waited below to see how hard it was, and I had to hold tight with both hands. It really didn't seem suitable for toddlers.

We ended up just hanging out at the beautiful beach I mentioned, and had a very nice time. This is where some of the adults could wait with the children (at least the 2 year old) while the others do the other part, if you decide to go ahead and go there.

Although the ride is a bit too long just to go to the beach (and not cheap with the cabs+ferry), it is really a nice place and worth visiting.

• 1 month later...
Dalitos - we also have a young child - under 2. Can we just go part way through? What do you recommend?

Hi Donna,

The rock hill with the rope is quite on the beginning of the path, so you can't really do just part of it.

What you can do is just get there, go down to the beach (10 minute walk/steps down through a park area) and hang out at the beach, which really is beautiful. I will try to attach some pictures to this message.

If you have another idea of something you'd like to do in Tortola it might be worth it, it would save you the time and cost of the cab/ferry/cab just to go to the beach (although as I said it is beautiful).

DSC04025.jpg.d3f274d25903a1bbdb2db2cac6c9970a.jpg

DSC04032.jpg.95da9486715e1b9847766f092a12d894.jpg

DSC04037.jpg.74c85217265fa31715f9265bc8316d81.jpg

DSC04040.jpg.5087cae7837523e7f886ebea15c39db3.jpg

DSC04073.jpg.7056193457a3a84d1329088c588fa61e.jpg

Donna -

I had mentioned Spring Bay Beach in an earlier post. It might be a good alternative for you. There are swing sets and picnic tables there, and the beach is much less crowded and much more child-friendly. There are some of the large rocks there too. Here is a link to an article written about Virgin Gorda, with emphasis on Spring Bay Beach.

http://www.igougo.com/story-s1360341-North_America-Virgin_Gorda-the_Baths_and_Spring_Bay_USVI.html

For more info on BVI beaches, go to this link

http://www.b-v-i.com/Nature/beaches.htm

I think the best thing to do is to take the ferry and then take a taxi to the top of the baths and walk down - SpeedysFerry.com or TortolaCharters.com will take you directly to the baths to snorkel in or take a dingy to the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived