Any Good Diving in Ocho Rios AT ALL?

CaribQween

We've seen pretty much all bad reviews about the diving in Ocho Rios. Has anyone had any good experiences diving there? There aren't any other excursions that really appeal to us and we are figuring that diving in not so great conditions is better than not diving at all :confused:. Why is the diving there considered to be so bad? We're just considering doing the two-tank dive that is offered by Royal Caribbean. Has anyone done that excursion and if so, could you tell us what dive operator they used?

My wife and I dove in Ocho Rios in March as part of our cruise on Celebrity Century. Initially, we were skeptical of diving there due to the generally bad reviews online (not much to see, etc.) We were already planning to dive in Grand Cayman the following day, but when we could not find anything else appetizing to do in Ocho Rios, we decided to book the ship's scuba excursion.

We turned out to be delightfully surprised. There were quite a few fish, a wrecked minesweeper, and some coral gardens to swim through, and it was a very pleasant diving experience. Both dives were relatively shallow (about 40-50 feet), but the water was clear and warm and we did see a number of fish and some lobsters (nothing big like rays or sharks though).

It turned out to be a really good decision, as the next day the weather in Grand Cayman was terrible and we could not go diving there. I BELIEVE that Celebrity used Scuba Jamaica as the operator, but I am not 100% sure. If this is the case, I am pretty sure that Royal Caribbean would use the same vendor (since they are sister lines).

The guide we had was very nice and knowledgable. I would absolutely go again - though the diving is not world class, it's not a waste of time and money either.

We have posted some pictures of our dives here if you are interested. If I can be of any more help, let me know.

I did my first dives at Ocho Rios, when staying at a Beaches resort. Because diving was included, I took the course, and went diving every day if the weather allowed. I liked diving so much I got certified.

It was warm water, with decent viz. Not much in coral growth, not much in fish. But it was warm water, and I enjoyed it.

After that I dove in many other places. They were just so much better.

In Jamaica the problem is they overfish, and don't take care of the environment. As such most places in Jamaica, including Ocho Rios, do not have good diving. But if the expectation is not high, and just wanted to see a little coral growth, a few fish, and warm water, it is still ok.

Oh, while there, don't forget to buy Blue Mountain coffee.

We're pretty new to diving and just want to get some more experience. We're going to be diving in Grand Cayman also on the same trip which will obviously be so much better. Then in March we're going to be doing a cruise that includes Aruba, Bonaire, Dominica, Grenada, and St. Thomas. We'll probably dive at least 3 but maybe more of those ports. So we figure that Ocho Rios will just really be a good chance to just practice some diving skills. We'll keep our expectations really, really low and then everything will just feel like a bonus :D. Thanks.

I did my first dives at Ocho Rios, when staying at a Beaches resort. Because diving was included, I took the course, and went diving every day if the weather allowed. I liked diving so much I got certified.

It was warm water, with decent viz. Not much in coral growth, not much in fish. But it was warm water, and I enjoyed it.

After that I dove in many other places. They were just so much better.

In Jamaica the problem is they overfish, and don't take care of the environment. As such most places in Jamaica, including Ocho Rios, do not have good diving. But if the expectation is not high, and just wanted to see a little coral growth, a few fish, and warm water, it is still ok.

Oh, while there, don't forget to buy Blue Mountain coffee.

Or simply order it on line:

http://www.javacoffee.com/list_all_coffees.asp

First item under "Rare And Fancy"

FYI - I've known this supplier for many years. Their coffee is fresh roasted on site.

The owners are top quality people, reliable beyond reproach.

Their inventory turn is large enough to insure every order is always fesh, never stale.

And no, they don't pay me to promote them. Not even a free bean or two.:p

Archived