Carnival canceled my cruise/ what now

repogirl49

I thought flying to San Diego in December would not be a problem as long as I left the Midwest okay - wrong! Bad weather in SD - pilot couldn't land - diverted to LA and missed the ship. My flight was scheduled for arrival at 11:15 am and we did get to SD on time. Change and fly in day before if possible.

December 2008, 6 out of 8 family members missed the ship in San Diego. They were flying from Seattle, which also rarely has bad weather. Unfortunately, that year we did. Husband and I flew in two day early and had no problems. In addition to the terrible weather in the Pacific Northwest, closing down all the airports from Vancouver BC to Portland, Oregon, San Diego was having fog delays. Friends who flew down to meet us after the cruise for New Year's Eve were late because of San Diego weather. Fly in the day before...

I thought flying to San Diego in December would not be a problem as long as I left the Midwest okay - wrong! Bad weather in SD - pilot couldn't land - diverted to LA and missed the ship. My flight was scheduled for arrival at 11:15 am and we did get to SD on time. Change and fly in day before if possible.

What was going on in San Diego? Hurricane:confused::D

Was set to go on Spirit 1/15/2011, cruise cancelled! New choice is 1/14/2011 but I already had airplane reservations. Question do I take chance and fly in at 11:00 AM on 1/14/2011, ship leaves at 4:00 or do I change flight for the day before and pay $186.00 penalty. Carnival say's they will give me OBC for the $186.00, but I already have $300.00 in OBC. So do I take a chance and keep my original flight or play it safe and come in the day before? Julie G.

If you are taking the first flight out in the morning you should not have a problem.......but if they are paying for your change........take it......

A lot depends on where you're coming from and which airline you're on. Last Fall we took Jet blue from Portland to Long Beach and on our way to the airport at some ungodly hour in the morning they sent us an email on our blackberry's that our flight had been cancelled. That airline has no reciprocal agreement with other airlines so we were in quite a pinch at the 11th hour.

But if going the day before is any option at all even with some extra expense, it's probably worth the peace of mind.

This is also a good example of why it is not a good idea to buy non-refundable tickets so far out. Mid January is not a high travel time (like Thanksgiving and Christmas are), so there is no reason to buy non-refundable tickets so far in advance.

Duh! Refundable tickets are much more expensive than non-refundable tickets. It's a no-brainer in MHO.

If Carnival is covering ALL your fees to change your flight and your not having to spend anything out od podket, I'd fly in a day early. You can mins a hotel and enjoy a little of our fine city! If it's gonna cost you to change you are probably fine not changing. As stated previously you could "almost" throw a rock from the port to the airport. Taking a direct flight from Texas to San Diego on the same day shouldnt be a problem.. Weather is anyones guess, this far out. Can't plan for that.;)

San Diego does get some very thick coastal fog from time to time.. In all the years I have lived here I have only seen the airport divert planes a handful of times. It's quite rare. Again, if they are paying your cost to change and your still getting your OBC, I'd come in a day early.

Just this past January, there were two huge storms that completely closed many of the major airports in the Northeast. This meant that aircraft that were at these airports were not going anywhere. People all over the country were stranded and/or delayed.

If you are scheduled to be on an aircraft that started its day (or the day before) on the East Coast before travelling to your city (and how would you know????) in January, I'd fly in the day before - even from Texas to SanDiego.

I always book the first flight out of NY when doable, well we sat on the runway for 2 hours because the toilets were not working. We pulled away from the jet way sat on the runway pulled back to the jet way & the mechanics had to board & fix this toilets. This was a non weather related situation & yet we left almost 3 hours late. I had knots in my stomach until we finally was up in the air. It is a no brainer use the OBC on whatever & go the day before. SD is a wonderful city you will enjoy the extra day & not have to worry about not making the ship.

Duh! Refundable tickets are much more expensive than non-refundable tickets. It's a no-brainer in MHO.

I have purchased refundable tickets well in advance of a cruise. When I am purchasing non-refundable tickets, I wait until final payment is due. That way I have a better chance of not having my cruise canceled and suddenly ending up with expensive worthless tickets.

If you buy non-refundable tickets far in advance, you are taking a chance.

Cuizer2[/left];24210000] so there is no reason to buy non-refundable tickets so far in advance.

I didn't even think to address this when I posted! Why in the world would someone already have plane tickets for January :confused: Being that far out, there isn't even a guarantee that the schedule won't change anyway. I have been on a few flights that I purchased specifically for the departure or arrival time and then they changed it on me! (It especially sucked when I actually paid more for said itinerary!! :( I usually buy my tix 4 months in advance ... and people say that is too soon!)

Can I also add that just because SD doesn't get bad weather does not mean a thing! (There could be bad weather from the originating city or on the way!)

Archived