Romantica reviews

Aussie Nana

The poor reviews on Romantica Cruises are a little worrying seeing as we are booked on the May 14th cruise from Singapore. Are there any Aussies who have enjoyed their cruise On this ship and advice on the best currency for Vietnam please.

The poor reviews on Romantica Cruises are a little worrying seeing as we are booked on the May 14th cruise from Singapore. Are there any Aussies who have enjoyed their cruise On this ship and advice on the best currency for Vietnam please.

I take the reviews with a grain of salt. We are on the sailing after you and not worried in the least. We aussies have a different outlook to a lot of other posters on these boards :D For Vietnam you will need to get local currency. I am not going to be using any credit cards in Vietnam because of all the scammers. We will probably get a bit before we go and then hopefully do a currency change in Singapore - they usually have really good rates - especially the shop outside of Mustafa's.!! We do Singapore every year - an added bonus if we can do a cruise from there as well. :D mummsie

Three years ago we did a 10 day Med cruise on the Romantica. For a ship of its age, it is not too bad. We had an outside cabin and it was comfortable and quite roomy. The staff were very attentative. We had an excellent time on the cruise. The food was as good as on any other ship.

However, I prefer the newer ships for the amenities they offer. There were not too many English speaking people on board but we were seated with Americans and Aussies on board for dinner. We had a staff member who took care of English speaking people. I hated everything being said in 5 languages. You may have a multi-lingual tour if there are not enough English speaking people - but a trip to Asia may have lots more than our 150 English speaking people. The pushing and shoving by the European did not bother me, I just did the same - it was not as bad as it is portrayed. We had to demand free tap water for dinner from our waiters - I don't drink soft drinks and probably only half a glass of water with my meal, I really don't fee like paying about $10 a day for half a glass of water. I am a tea/coffee drinker even in the heat.

Would I go Costa again - preferably not. BUT we have chosen a translantic for 2011 (for its price as long as I can purchase it through a US agent) with a short 7 day MSC (for the destination).

Enjoy yourself, it was not that bad.

Rassa

We were 2 aussie family's on the repositioning from Mauritius to Singapore finishing on April 17th. Our family had travelled on Allegra in April last year and knew the basics of what to expect although Romantica is a larger ship.

Briefly,

Food was much better than last year, although the buffet was not open in the evenings, which although we didn't use it much last year, did limit you when you didn't quite feel like the whole dining room thing

J2 package - absolutley fantastic - will not do a cruise without it (or something similar) ever again - just to qualify that by saying the adults in the group you would probably class as "drinkers" (soft drinks, cocktails, beer, wine with meals, late night shots etc) and the kids are teenagers (soft drinks, non-alcoholic cocktails etc). Also inlcuded was the chocolate bar!!

Entertainment - Shows were poor - but then it wasn't much better last year either.

Bars etc - at night not much up beat music/entertainment by the entertainment team.

Disco - did this a few times - had a good time but DJ not really in tune with the audience

Teen club - Rubbish - guy running it had no interest in actually doing anything. Not sure what the main kids clud was like

English Rep - Rebecca - good bubbly character, helpful, runs a book exchange

Aussie Rep - we don't think was Aus at all, didn't know anything about AFL and also shouldn't have a job in customer service !!

Wish we were still on there - did not want to get off, especially when all the English we met were having to stay because there were no flights

Anyway, gotta go - will post a longer review at the weekend but in the meantime any specific questions let me know.

Say Hi to Carlo at the pool bar and say you're friends of "Sir Mike" and "Mr Peter" and he'll be friends for life

Dawn

We were 2 aussie family's on the repositioning from Mauritius to Singapore finishing on April 17th. Our family had travelled on Allegra in April last year and knew the basics of what to expect although Romantica is a larger ship.

Briefly,

Food was much better than last year, although the buffet was not open in the evenings, which although we didn't use it much last year, did limit you when you didn't quite feel like the whole dining room thing

J2 package - absolutley fantastic - will not do a cruise without it (or something similar) ever again - just to qualify that by saying the adults in the group you would probably class as "drinkers" (soft drinks, cocktails, beer, wine with meals, late night shots etc) and the kids are teenagers (soft drinks, non-alcoholic cocktails etc). Also inlcuded was the chocolate bar!!

Entertainment - Shows were poor - but then it wasn't much better last year either.

Bars etc - at night not much up beat music/entertainment by the entertainment team.

Disco - did this a few times - had a good time but DJ not really in tune with the audience

Teen club - Rubbish - guy running it had no interest in actually doing anything. Not sure what the main kids clud was like

Aussie Rep - we don't think was Aus at all, didn't know anything about AFL and also shouldn't have a job in customer service !!

Wish we were still on there - did not want to get off, especially when all the English we met were having to stay because there were no flights

Anyway, gotta go - will post a longer review at the weekend but in the meantime any specific questions let me know.

Say Hi to Carlo at the pool bar and say you're friends of "Sir Mike" and "Mr Peter" and he'll be friends for life

Dawn

Hi Dawn

We have booked Costa Pacifica in Dec. We are thinking of booking the J2 package. Can you tell me how much Aus Dollars you paid for that, we have been quoted nearly 700 dollars, and though we love to have a drink or 6, just wondering if it really is value for money. Because it is December, we are then into 2011 season, so I think the cost of it has gone up. From what I have read there seems to be a mix of info on what you actually get, eg, wine by the glass and bottle. Look forward to your response

Trine

Hi there, I have my parents booked on 29 May ex SIN for 14 nights. Is this the one you are on?e They are concerned about shore excursions as the ship is sold out. Do you pre book tours or is it easy enough getting taxi or bus when you get off at each port ?

We ended our cruise at Singapore on 1 May having embarked there on 17 April. We found the food very good and the staff very attentive. The Australian hostess started a bit iffy but as the cruise went on she seemed to respond better, and she arranged for an ANZAC Day ceremony in the theatre for Aussies and Kiwis, with the Captain and some Senior officers present (they seemed perplexed when the 2 Up started).

All in all we really enjoyed the cruise. There were new entertainers from UK and the shows we went to were good.

We had breakfast most mornings in the Dining Room and lunch there when not on excursions, it aved the bustle in the buffet.

Excursion wise we pre booked, the Corrigedor excursion at Manila was fabulous, very educational and enlightening. We went to Hue at Da Nan but in hindsight the Hoi An trip would have been better.

Currency wise we used US Dollars, very acceptable in Vietnam, where the Dong is a weak currency. Hong Kong preferred HK Dollars so we changed some Aussie Dollars there to buy at the markets.

Have a great time, hope the weather is as good as we had.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, the only drawback I found was the internet on board, very slow and expensive, took 10 minuts to open my webmail, andat 0.5 Euro/min worked out at around $A 7.50. Used intenet cafes at ports where I could, at Hong Kong free if you buy a coffee at the coffee bar near where you get off, some people had laptops and wireless.

Hi there, I have my parents booked on 29 May ex SIN for 14 nights. Is this the one you are on?e They are concerned about shore excursions as the ship is sold out. Do you pre book tours or is it easy enough getting taxi or bus when you get off at each port ?

we have prebooked our tours for the couple of ports we felt were too risky to go on our own - the rest we normally catch shuttle busses - have only caught one taxi in 8 cruises. mummsie

Go to Costa website, register/log on to Personalize My Cruise then you can access the Shore Excursions for your specific cruise. Book the ones you want in advance and it saves a lot of queuing and push and shove on board . Prices are in Euros (so divide by .70 to convert to Aus $). When you get on board the cost is billed to your on-board account, and all the tour tickets will be delivered to your Stateroom .

We ended our cruise at Singapore on 1 May having embarked there on 17 April. We found the food very good and the staff very attentive. The Australian hostess started a bit iffy but as the cruise went on she seemed to respond better, and she arranged for an ANZAC Day ceremony in the theatre for Aussies and Kiwis, with the Captain and some Senior officers present (they seemed perplexed when the 2 Up started).

All in all we really enjoyed the cruise. There were new entertainers from UK and the shows we went to were good.

We had breakfast most mornings in the Dining Room and lunch there when not on excursions, it aved the bustle in the buffet.

Excursion wise we pre booked, the Corrigedor excursion at Manila was fabulous, very educational and enlightening. We went to Hue at Da Nan but in hindsight the Hoi An trip would have been better.

Currency wise we used US Dollars, very acceptable in Vietnam, where the Dong is a weak currency. Hong Kong preferred HK Dollars so we changed some Aussie Dollars there to buy at the markets.

Have a great time, hope the weather is as good as we had.

Hi Medowie, wife and me are off on Romantica out of Singapore on 15th May, one question - dress code in the restaurant. We've done quite a few cruises and are aware of what's suggested on Casual, Smart Casual, Formal nights etc, but the online feedback I'm getting is mixed for Romantica, some saying that dress is pretty casual regardless of whats recommended. Reason I ask is we're doing a fair bit of travelling before and after the cruise and I don't want to be humping an extra garment bag full of dresses and a Duck Suit all over south east Asia if I don't have to!!

Maybe I could just stuff a jacket in my grip and bring a travel iron :p

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jim

Thanks for info Dawn we now have our tickets....finally... and raring to go so this time next week we will be on board. we'll look out for Carlo. We are north of melb so hoping to meet up with some more Aussies on board do you want to come again??? cheers Yvonne

We were 2 aussie family's on the repositso we hope to have as good a time as youioning from Mauritius to Singapore finishing on April 17th. Our family had travelled on Allegra in April last year and knew the basics of what to expect although Romantica is a larger ship.

Briefly,

Dawn

Hi Ballymacjim, the dress code for the dining room for dinner was smart casual. I actually finished going to dinner in shorts and collared shirt, when we late returning from excursions (wewere on the 1st sitting). For the Gala Dinners (there were 3, a Welcome Gala Dinner, A Captains Gala Dinner and a Farewell Gala Dinner) I wore a suit but jacket would suffice, with a bow tie on one Dinner and tie at the 2 others.

I used a European adaptor for charging camera and phone batteries, the adaptor with 2 round pins. The was also an outlet for american 110v below the 220 outlet.

I hope you are blessed with the great weather we had, the seas were mill pond other than between Hong Kong and Manila, but that wasn't too bad, nothing like Bass Strait or the English Channel, was a gentle roll, helped sleeping.

Thanks for your help Medowie, great news, jacket it is - and wife's unpacking as I type!! :p

Much appreciated

Hi Ballymacjim, the dress code for the dining room for dinner was smart casual. I actually finished going to dinner in shorts and collared shirt, when we late returning from excursions (wewere on the 1st sitting). For the Gala Dinners (there were 3, a Welcome Gala Dinner, A Captains Gala Dinner and a Farewell Gala Dinner) I wore a suit but jacket would suffice, with a bow tie on one Dinner and tie at the 2 others.

I used a European adaptor for charging camera and phone batteries, the adaptor with 2 round pins. The was also an outlet for american 110v below the 220 outlet.

I hope you are blessed with the great weather we had, the seas were mill pond other than between Hong Kong and Manila, but that wasn't too bad, nothing like Bass Strait or the English Channel, was a gentle roll, helped sleeping.

Archived