Travelling with a C-PAP machines on NCL

mustangbonnie

:mad:To anyone who uses a C-PAP machine be aware that NCL will not provide or bring on board distilled water to use in your machine. I am not at all pleased with the request being denied. Four (4) of us are travelling in June to Alaska and two (2) of our group use C-PAP machines with humidifiers. I have travelled on Princess Cruises and have had no problem getting distilled water from the cruise line as long as I requested it prior to travel. Knowing this I put in a request to NCL only to get a reply telling me to bring my own on board as they do not bring it on board. What a joke that is. We are flying into the airport and taking ground transfer to the ship there is no way of obtaining distilled water. I am sure we are not the only passengers that use these machines and think they should add it to their special needs list but they will not. I am very disappointed with NCL and will not book with them again.

The water that they use on board is probably better than the water that is in grocery store distilled water. My husband also uses a cpap machine, we just returned last week and simply used the water on board. This was ok'd through his doctor and the company who provides the machine and pieces to him. No worries about lugging water with you. If you must insist on using distilled water, simply ask a taxi driver to bring you to a store once you arrive in the port to purchase some. NCL cannot supply everybody with everything. Also remember your extension cord!

The water that they use on board is probably better than the water that is in grocery store distilled water. My husband also uses a cpap machine, we just returned last week and simply used the water on board. This was ok'd through his doctor and the company who provides the machine and pieces to him. No worries about lugging water with you. If you must insist on using distilled water, simply ask a taxi driver to bring you to a store once you arrive in the port to purchase some. NCL cannot supply everybody with everything. Also remember your extension cord!

Great Advise!

:mad:To anyone who uses a C-PAP machine be aware that NCL will not provide or bring on board distilled water to use in your machine. I am not at all pleased with the request being denied. Four (4) of us are travelling in June to Alaska and two (2) of our group use C-PAP machines with humidifiers. I have travelled on Princess Cruises and have had no problem getting distilled water from the cruise line as long as I requested it prior to travel. Knowing this I put in a request to NCL only to get a reply telling me to bring my own on board as they do not bring it on board. What a joke that is. We are flying into the airport and taking ground transfer to the ship there is no way of obtaining distilled water. I am sure we are not the only passengers that use these machines and think they should add it to their special needs list but they will not. I am very disappointed with NCL and will not book with them again.

The water used on the ship is as good or better than distilled water. Have taken my c-pap last 3 cruises with no problems. And defintely take at least a 15 ft. extenstion cord. The only plug is across the cabin from the bed in most cabins

I feel your pain. I'm perfectly willing to pay a big premium over what water costs in the store, just to not to have to chase it down before I get on the ship. It's inexcusable that they refuse to accommodate such a simple thing. But this is the way NCL is going. On a side note, I was able to bring distilled water in smaller drinking bottles in my carry-on. But of course you still have to find it first, and if you're not renting a car, well......

I don't think anyone here can accurately say the water on a ship is as good or better than bottled distilled water. All we know is what we read here posted over and over by other cruisers who "heard it." Besides, some folks insist that the ship takes on water at port. So that means the ship water at port is only as good as the municipal water system when in port. I've read myself that they don't make their own water until they're pretty far out at sea, to stay away from pollutants close to shore.

Hmmmmm this is a "hot button" issue here, and the OP has one post. Have I been "trolled?"

:mad:To anyone who uses a C-PAP machine be aware that NCL will not provide or bring on board distilled water to use in your machine.I am not at all pleased with the request being denied.Four (4) of us are travelling in June to Alaska and two(2) of our group use C-PAP machines with humidifiers.I have travelled on Princess Cruises and have had no problem getting distilled water from the cruise line as long as I requested it prior to travel. Knowing this I put in a request to NCL only to get a reply telling me to bring my own on board as they do not bring it on board.What a joke that is. We are flying into the airport and taking ground transfer to the ship there is no way of obtaining distilled water.I am sure we are not the only passengers that use these machines and think they should add it to their special needs list but they will not. I am very disappointed with NCL and will not book with them again.

I will be taking my CPAP, and probably will take on distilled water. Or, not. Sometimes when I'm away, I don't need the humidification. Sorry you had difficulty with this....

Just thought of something. Have your doctor write you a note that you HAVE TO bring the water in small bottles in your luggage because it's for medical purposes. The airlines have to accomodate that stuff, so a cruiseline should as well.

But, if it's not distilled, it will leave a white film (minerals) on the humidifier. Your hubby's humidifier didn't get all gunked up? Hmm.....

But, if it's not distilled, it will leave a white film (minerals) on the humidifier. Your hubby's humidifier didn't get all gunked up? Hmm.....

When at Sea, apparently after the water is processed, it's mineral free. I've posted links to an article that said they put certain minerals BACK into the processed water while at Sea.

Of course, the know it all's said the article was insane. And maybe it was, but I wonder how some of us know this (and everything else) with certainty?

:D:D

My DH uses C-pap machine and we never bring distilled water. never a problem and no mineral build up. He checked with the company and they told him using regular water a few times will not hurt it. Don't forget the extension cord.

We will be traveling with 2 in our cabin that are on CPAP my hubby and my small son. I will be bringing it with me simply because being out in the middle of the ocean would not be a good time to "change" something my small son is used to. I do wonder though about the whole extension cord issue. How would we need to plan for that with 2 CPAP's in the same room?

OP here's a suggestion, you could sign into the roll call for your ship and maybe someone who is traveling locally to the ship would be more than happy to meet you at the port with some distilled water for you. I know since I drive in to the piers it would be something I would do for a fellow passenger to ensure they had a smooth worry free cruise. Best of luck!

My DH uses C-pap machine and we never bring distilled water. never a problem and no mineral build up. He checked with the company and they told him using regular water a few times will not hurt it. Don't forget the extension cord.

well, I used non-distilled water one time, and there was gunk all over the humidifier, so that's not necessarily true :D

Is it a possibility to take along a couple of regular water bottles in your packed luggage? (Obviously emptied and filled with distilled water). I am pretty sure one of the ports you will be stopping at should have distilled water - although it will no doubt be quite pricey in Alaska. Just a suggestion.

Have you considered faxing NCL a doctor's order for the distilled water? It's worth a shot, they have already said no, so you are not out anything by trying. Just a thought.

DD requires humidified air while sleeping as she has a tracheotomy. We frequently travel with her and always bring sterile water with in her checked bag. That bag is filled with medical supplies and is clearly identified. We have never had any issues.

I don't expect NCL, or any cruise line for that matter, to supply our medical needs. I feel the responsibility lies with me to make sure that she has everything she will require to safely travel.

Did the OP make contact with special services? They need to know that the passenger is traveling with a cpap machine.

All CVS, Walgreens and like drug stores, along with Walmarts in port will have distilled water.

Then you'd also better plan on not booking with several other cruise lines as well since very few of them provide distilled water or have it available for purchase.

My husband has a CPAP machine with a humidifier and when he was in Australia for two weeks he used their tap water with no problems.

Distilled water usage is to make sure that over time there are no mineral deposit build ups. There should be no problem in using the SHIP tap water since it won't give mineral build up.

We are taking my husband's CPAP machine on a 33 day NCL cruise later this year and we do not anticipate any problems using ship water.

.. I do wonder though about the whole extension cord issue. How would we need to plan for that with 2 CPAP's in the same room? ...

Take a power strip with you and two extension cords. Plug the power strip into the ship outlet and then plug the two extension cords into that.

We take a power strip because of also charging camera batteries as well as having the CPAPs extension cord. And on the last night we are also charging our cell phones to use the next day.

DH uses a CPAP and has not used the humidifier while cruising. There is enough moisture in the air to keep him happy.

me also....never a problem not using humidifer for a week...

My wife and I each use a CPAP with a humidifier on the ship. We have always used the ship board water with no ill effect for either ourselves or the machines. I always take a power-strip with a long chord for the machines, cameras, etc.

DH uses a CPAP and every so often he just puts regular bottled water in it, if we're out and travelling. Never had a problem. Good to know that the ships water is good enough for the CPAP. We'll have a chance to get supplies for our room, but schlepping a half-gallon of water had no appeal for me!

I use a C-Pap and not only bring an extension cord, but also a power strip and duct tape. Since there are only two outlets in the cabin, I plug the power strip into one of the outlets and then I have five more available.

On the first night I plug the extension cord into the power strip and then duct tape it to the carpet and just leave it there all week. The tape prevents tripping over the cord and eliminates having to set it up every night. I just leave the machine on the night stand all week, but store the hose and mask in the case to keep them clean.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

Nowadays, most large cruise ships have a desalinization water treatment plant onboard using either evaporation or reverse osmosis to treat the water. Once through these plants, the water is the same as distilled water, however the next part of the onboard water treatment process includes passing this water through a remineralization plant which is not what you want in a humidifier. However, the simple use of a Water Fitration Pitcher will remove the temporary hardness and limescale minerals which are what causes scale deposits when water is heated in a humidifier or during cooking. Filtered water is not the same as distilled water because some minerals will still be present, but it is much closer to distilled water than unfiltered water from the ship's sinks.

There are many brands of water filtration pitchers on the market and easily available at stores such as Target or Walmart or they can be purchased online. The brands includ Brita, Pur and Clear2o. The pitchers come in various sizes, are not heavy and can be packed in your luggage and brought onboard ships easily, plus they are useful for putting water into your humidifier onboard.

Hope that helps.

I don't think anyone here can accurately say the water on a ship is as good or better than bottled distilled water. I've read myself that they don't make their own water until they're pretty far out at sea, to stay away from pollutants close to shore.

Hmmmmm this is a "hot button" issue here, and the OP has one post. Have I been "trolled?"

Maybe a troll.

Here is my minimal research on how water is made - I would suggest that the water is as good or better than bottled distilled:

"Modern cruise ships have an insatiable thirst for fresh water. Some of today's biggest cruise ships, like the Grand Princess, use more than 260,000 gallons of fresh water every day. Rather than carry all this water from the embarkation port, or rely on local ports of call, the newest state-of-the-art cruise ships transform salty sea water into fresh drinking water by a process known as desalination.

The desalination process on a cruise ship uses either flash evaporators or osmosis. Flash evaporators boil sea water and re-condense the steam vapor, producing fresh drinking water. This method is similar to the natural water cycle, where sea water is heated by the sun, rises as steam to form clouds, and then falls back to earth as rain. The second method, osmosis, filters sea water through a fine membrane to separate pure water from salt and other minerals. Cruise ships do not desalinate water near ports or close to land, because coastal waters are the most contaminated."

The first method is the method that companies use for bottled distilled water. I would think for a short term "bottled, distilled water" is not needed. At least, according to one of my employees that is well versed in CPAP machines.

Archived