Advice On Discover Scuba In Cozumel, HELP PLZ!!!

Sunshine22jw

I have looked up alot of prices on different site's that offer the Discover Scuba. I was reading some of the things they do. My question is they do one from off shore OR on boat? I am confused. After they teach you on how to use the equiptment. They take you for your first dive. Wondering whom has done it & if it's striaght from the shore into the beach water. Or they take you on a boat to the reef. Sorry I went to a site and there is one from shore which is like $58 and then it shows one with two dive's from the boat? I am so confused..Hopefully someone can answer my question. Thanks Jennifer-Florida..:confused:

Some operators use a shore dive and some dive a shallow reef from a dive boat.Some do one discover dive and some have the option of doing two dives depending on your port times.I highly recommend Eagle Ray Divers.They are a small family run operation that cater to cruise ship divers.Chellie and Antonio are very professional and very nice people.Eagle Ray offers Discover Scuba from one of thier boats on a very shallow reef.Have fun whatever you decide to do. One word of warning: Scuba is very, very addictive !!!!!

I did a "Discover Scuba" dive with "Sand Dollar" a little over a year ago. They had a facility right on the shore. After a short classroom session we did our dive right from the shore in front of their facility.

I booked this through the cruise ship. (NCL Jewel). There were eight of us and we were broken up into two groups of four with an instructor/dive-master for each group. As part of the deal, Sand Dollar provided us with a taxi from and back to where the ship was docked. (Puerto Langosta)

All in all, it was a good experience for a first dive.

Like Dive Master said... it is very addictive... that was only a bit over a year ago, and I've been on four cruises (plus one next week), and nearly fourty dives since then.

I can second the recommendation for Sand Dollar. We also booked it through the Ship (Carnival Conquest). They have a great setup for the first time. We also did another discover dive the next year in Cozumel with Dive with Martin. Their dive was from a boat in shallow reef. Both did a short classroom session and were great. I think for the very first time I would go with sanddollar as you can walk out in shallow water and practice retrieving the regulator and getting used to breathing underwater in very shallow water.

But you need to heed the warnings as this is extremely addictive!! We got our cert last year and have dove in Oahu, Kona, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya.

Thanks for the input! I am having a problem finding someone to do Discover Scuba off the boat at the time we arrive in cozumel on the ship. We get there at 9am not 10am which states on my receipt for royal caribbean. I am in florida so I guess it would be one hour behind us. It looks me and my boyfriend are gonna have to do a shore dive. Which is sort of better becuase for some reason they are cheaper and gives you about 3 hours. I did find eduardo @seaturtle@prodigy.net.mex

He has the discover scuba for 4 hours off the boat and is willing to work with us and meet up at 10am for $99 each. Plus we have two dives. So I am sort of thinking of using him. Seems like a really good deal.

Sunshine, when you SCUBA, getting a good deal, isn't as important as equipment in good shape and competent instructors. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good deal, just be sure to get other recommendations too. Enjoy your dive.

Sunshine -

I'm wondering if the Eduardo that you've been speaking to is the same dive instructor that we used in Cozumel. We went with Eduardo from Cozumel sports and he was very good. Huge emphasis on safety and didn't have us dive until we were ready.

I initially found Eduardo's name through these boards, but then went over to trip advisor and found several references to him. I contacted two of the reviewers and exchanged several emails with them. My utmost concern was safety because I had my son (14) and nephew (18) with me and needed someone who could/would deal with teens.

First, we reviewed safety exercises in the boat, then he had us get into the water and practice the exercises (how to deal w/ water in mask, what to do when regulator comes out of your mouth, how to equalize ears, etc). After we were jointly satisfied with our work, we then went on 2 dives. First dive was approximately 20-25 feet, next dive could have been a little deeper but my son was having some difficulty equalizing one of his ears and Eduardo didn't want to push it so he kept next dive around the same range.

The entire process took us about 3 1/2 - 4 hours, but the actual diving time was much shorter. This excursion did exactly what I had hoped in terms of safely introducing us to the sport.

Yes it is the same eduardo with Cozumel Sports. I was sort of hesitate to do the deposit with the paypal. But as I read "ALL" of the reviews from alot of past customer's that have done the discover scuba with him. I started getting comfey with knowing he isn't a scam. I just made the deposit down & e-mailed him & now... I am just waiting on his respond back. He is even willing to work with us with the time when we arrive on our ship. Which none of the other companys have done. All they say is our boat tour doesn't go out the time you dock in.

He has a REALLY good deal with the discover scuba off the boat and I took it!

Me & my boyfriend are VERY excited about this trip! Our very first cruise, first scuba dive and we wouldn't ask for more!

We are even thinking about after this dive. Getting ceritfied!;)

Sunshine -

That's great! Eduardo was also very flexible with us in terms of timeframe. We also got into Cozumel early and I wanted to scuba first and then go to the beach after. He accommodated.

I hope you have a great time!

Yes it is the same eduardo with Cozumel Sports. I was sort of hesitate to do the deposit with the paypal. But as I read "ALL" of the reviews from alot of past customer's that have done the discover scuba with him. I started getting comfey with knowing he isn't a scam. I just made the deposit down & e-mailed him & now... I am just waiting on his respond back. He is even willing to work with us with the time when we arrive on our ship. Which none of the other companys have done. All they say is our boat tour doesn't go out the time you dock in.

He has a REALLY good deal with the discover scuba off the boat and I took it!

Me & my boyfriend are VERY excited about this trip! Our very first cruise, first scuba dive and we wouldn't ask for more!

We are even thinking about after this dive. Getting ceritfied!;)

Doing a couple of Resort Scuba couses(about the same thing as Discover Scuba) with UNEXSO on Grand Bahama Island is how I got started. Then I finally got certified (I always thought I was too old and fat). I thought I would just be that "once a year cruise ship diver" but then I discovered the Florida Springs, the North Carolina wrecks,and our little slice of heaven-Lake Jocassee,SC.I am at Jocassee almost every weekend May through October.My favoirte dive at Jocassee just made the cover of Scuba Diving Magazine's May issue : 'What it's like to dive in a cemetery".There is nothing quite like diving the historic Mount Carmel Baptist Church Cemetery. 138 feet down, 52 degrees,twilight, narced,adding up that DECO, and visiting Doris's grave.It should be on every diver's bucket list and I get to do it almost every weekend!

Doing a couple of Resort Scuba couses(about the same thing as Discover Scuba) with UNEXSO on Grand Bahama Island is how I got started. Then I finally got certified (I always thought I was too old and fat). I thought I would just be that "once a year cruise ship diver" but then I discovered the Florida Springs, the North Carolina wrecks,and our little slice of heaven-Lake Jocassee,SC.I am at Jocassee almost every weekend May through October.My favoirte dive at Jocassee just made the cover of Scuba Diving Magazine's May issue : 'What it's like to dive in a cemetery".There is nothing quite like diving the historic Mount Carmel Baptist Church Cemetery. 138 feet down, 52 degrees,twilight, narced,adding up that DECO, and visiting Doris's grave.It should be on every diver's bucket list and I get to do it almost every weekend!

We are considering going to Jocassee June 12th with a group. What water temps. can we expect then?

We are considering going to Jocassee June 12th with a group. What water temps. can we expect then?

It depends on how deep you go as Jocassee has several thermalclines.The surface should be about 65 degrees in June.First thermalcline is at 20 feet (couple of degrees) but I really don't notice it in a wetsuit.Second one is around 60 feet and you will notice it (water temp of about 58-60). Next one is around 100 feet and then 130 feet where the water temp will be in the low 50's.According to my tech buddies the water temp does not change much past 150 feet.

You will definitely need a good wetsuit and I always wear a hood and gloves.Jocassee does warm up as summer progresses to a surface temp of around 75 degrres by mid September.The Cemetery never gets above the mid 50's.

One word of caution when diving deep on the Wall or the Cemetery: these or Technical dives and to be taken seriously.It is deep, dark,cold, and you will be narced.The Cemetery is not the place to do your first deep water dives.The really neat thing about Jocassee is you can enjoy a 20 foot dive off the ramp, a 320 dive to the "steel bridge, or anyting in between.There is truely something for everyone from newbies to the "top guns" of our sport.

Are you guys going out with Bill at "Off the Wall Charters"?

It depends on how deep you go as Jocassee has several thermalclines.The surface should be about 65 degrees in June.First thermalcline is at 20 feet (couple of degrees) but I really don't notice it in a wetsuit.Second one is around 60 feet and you will notice it (water temp of about 58-60). Next one is around 100 feet and then 130 feet where the water temp will be in the low 50's.According to my tech buddies the water temp does not change much past 150 feet.

You will definitely need a good wetsuit and I always wear a hood and gloves.Jocassee does warm up as summer progresses to a surface temp of around 75 degrres by mid September.The Cemetery never gets above the mid 50's.

One word of caution when diving deep on the Wall or the Cemetery: these or Technical dives and to be taken seriously.It is deep, dark,cold, and you will be narced.The Cemetery is not the place to do your first deep water dives.The really neat thing about Jocassee is you can enjoy a 20 foot dive off the ramp, a 320 dive to the "steel bridge, or anyting in between.There is truely something for everyone from newbies to the "top guns" of our sport.

Are you guys going out with Bill at "Off the Wall Charters"?

We will be coming up with an Atlanta group SeaVentures. We are warm water divers a 3mil is the heaviest wetsuit I own.

We were diving in Nassau this past weekend and a NASA group had chartered one of the boats. Buzz Alerdin one of the men who walked on the moon was in their group. He wore a shirt that stated " Bottom Gun" I guess he has done it all.

I have to throw in my vote for Eagle Ray Divers. In May of 2008, my Wife surprised me with a cruise for my 50th birthday and I wanted to really "try" scuba as we absolutely loved snorkeling up to then. Chellie and Antonio's outfit got us "hooked" we got certified after we got back. It was my wife, me and our Divemaster Luiz in a boat by ourselves.

We dove on Paradise reef and dove to 40 ft on the first dive. We were down about 35-40 minutes. The second dive was 25-30 ft for another half hour. Eagle Ray was GREAT !!!

I have to throw in my vote for Eagle Ray Divers. In May of 2008, my Wife surprised me with a cruise for my 50th birthday and I wanted to really "try" scuba as we absolutely loved snorkeling up to then. Chellie and Antonio's outfit got us "hooked" we got certified after we got back. It was my wife, me and our Divemaster Luiz in a boat by ourselves.

We dove on Paradise reef and dove to 40 ft on the first dive. We were down about 35-40 minutes. The second dive was 25-30 ft for another half hour. Eagle Ray was GREAT !!!

Luiz is a good guy and a lot of fun.He was my DM when I was there in February.Luiz and I did my third dive (just the two of us) on Paradise Reef just outside of the marina.Paradise is very pretty with lots of critters and moderate current.We were down 48 minutes and I had to come up due to time restraints---did not want to be a "pier runner" and miss the ship.We kidded each other all day about who had the best air consumption.He did beat me but only by a very little and I am a 50 year old fat butt!

We will be coming up with an Atlanta group SeaVentures. We are warm water divers a 3mil is the heaviest wetsuit I own.

We were diving in Nassau this past weekend and a NASA group had chartered one of the boats. Buzz Alerdin one of the men who walked on the moon was in their group. He wore a shirt that stated " Bottom Gun" I guess he has done it all.

3 mil in Jocassee in June? I don't think I want to do that anymore.Make sure to bring a hood and gloves.You might be able to rent a thicker suit or core warmer from Bill at Lake Jocassee Dive Shop. Most of my buddies use dry suits but I don't have the money for one of those and I have 2 new wetsuits hanging in the closet---one is getting broken in this weekend.

I bet diving with Buzz was really neat.I kid the guys at the lake about being "legends in their own mind" and they tell everyone that I am 'certifiable---not certified".Of course everyone tells "Deliverance"jokes at Jocassee---who is playing the banjo? Who is going to SQUEAL?

In all seriousness some of these guys and gals are great divers.Not many divers can do 300 foot plus dives to the Atakulla Lodge, etc.If you are going out with Bill, ask him to watch some of his videos of the deep dives.Have fun---Jocassee is a beautiful lake.

Archived