Prohibited items on Carnival ships

*Mach*

I just received a call from Jody at Guest Services and she gave me this information

Battery operated Fans will be allowed. (mine came wit a AC adapter, but I didn't mention that)

Power strips and extension cords are allowed to be used with medical equipment (in my case CPAP).

And that the power strip should be packed in the CPAP carrying case and should be marked for medical use. (I don't use the bag as it is bulky but usually wrap the machine in clothing I am taking). So I will add the power strip to it too.

Hope this helps

and Thanks for helping get this clarified.

FWIW I would print the Email and take it with you, too.

The only valid reason I can see for the "No Extension Cord" rule would be because of people taking a faulty and/or frayed cord onboard the ship. I can see someone who has used Scotch or duct tape to splice an extension cord and then using it to light the string of Christmas lights, that are also spliced with duct tape, on their deck.

I can see it now: There will be a whole new smuggling product: "CORD RUNNERS":D

Take care,

Mike

Hi Mach!

Thank you so much for getting us answers to our concerns!!

My mom & I are taking a much needed vaca and this will be her first time traveling needing a medical device. So, as you can imagine being new to this, we both are a bit nervous and want to be VERY prepared! I was quite concerned upon learning of these new restrictions but I can now rest easy, thanks to you! And get back to the FUN of planning our trip!!

Hi Mach!

Thank you so much for getting us answers to our concerns!!

My mom & I are taking a much needed vaca and this will be her first time traveling needing a medical device. So, as you can imagine being new to this, we both are a bit nervous and want to be VERY prepared! I was quite concerned upon learning of these new restrictions but I can now rest easy, thanks to you! And get back to the FUN of planning our trip!!

Glad I could help.

Have a fantastic time on your cruise...

:)

I have traveled with a CPAP for a couple of years now, and I have always, always carried an extension cord in the CPAP bag (which I always use so it doesn't count against me as a carry-on). The power strip has always been in the suitcase. I guess now it will go in the CPAP bag too. Maybe I should be thankful for sleep apnea! :D

Thanks for the clarification (even if it makes no sense to me)!

Robin

I have traveled with a CPAP for a couple of years now, and I have always, always carried an extension cord in the CPAP bag (which I always use so it doesn't count against me as a carry-on). The power strip has always been in the suitcase. I guess now it will go in the CPAP bag too. Maybe I should be thankful for sleep apnea! :D

Thanks for the clarification (even if it makes no sense to me)!

Robin

It makes no sense to me either, Robin but we're stuck with it. All we can do is make the best of the situation.

John Heald just posted this on his blog:

Regarding the list of things of prohibited items, there is a meeting in Miami on Monday where people with beards will script a final list of what can and cannot be brought onboard our ships. I will report back to you on this next week and meanwhile if you have any thoughts or questions please let me know…………………

At least we got some attention... not necessarily wanted attention but attention none the less...

We all have to remember Carnival decides what we can and can not cring aboard their ships for whatever dumb reason they come up with. If we don't like their policy it is up to us if we book a cruise with Carnival or not.

I just with Carnival will make this list specific and not have everyone guessing.

We all have to remember Carnival decides what we can and can not cring aboard their ships for whatever dumb reason they come up with. If we don't like their policy it is up to us if we book a cruise with Carnival or not.

I just with Carnival will make this list specific and not have everyone guessing.

Yep... that's the case, G...

If we don't like their policy it is up to us if we book a cruise with Carnival or not.

True, but when they change the policy after you've already booked ES, that makes things a lot more difficult! Thankfully, they realize there needs to be exceptions for medical-related/disability-related reasons.

True, but when they change the policy after you've already booked ES, that makes things a lot more difficult! Thankfully, they realize there needs to be exceptions for medical-related/disability-related reasons.

I'm hoping that we'll see a somewhat more reasonable list next week when the 'beards' are done talking in Miami.

I'll report it here as soon as I hear...

It makes no sense to me either, Robin but we're stuck with it. All we can do is make the best of the situation.

John Heald just posted this on his blog:

Regarding the list of things of prohibited items, there is a meeting in Miami on Monday where people with beards will script a final list of what can and cannot be brought onboard our ships. I will report back to you on this next week and meanwhile if you have any thoughts or questions please let me know…………………

At least we got some attention... not necessarily wanted attention but attention none the less...

Every once in a while it is fun to ROCK THE BOAT....(AKA The Fun Ships)

Mach - thanks for keeping us up to date on this issue. I guess I'll be in the minority and not bringing my power strip with me on my cruise in two weeks. I really loved being able to plug in both my hair dryer (hate the one that they have on board - awful amount of power), flat iron, digi camera chargers, cell phone charger, and laptop into it. If they decide to sell this item in the gift shop, you can bet that I will be one of the first people to grab one - better to be safe than sorry!

I will be using an electric cart. It was suggested by the cart company that I bring a big extension cord in case the one that comes with the cart won't reach. What is the definition of power strip?

Does all this mean that I can't bring it? It probably won't fit my carry on.

I will be using an electric cart. It was suggested by the cart company that I bring a big extension cord in case the one that comes with the cart won't reach. What is the definition of power strip?

Does all this mean that I can't bring it? It probably won't fit my carry on.

By all means bring it. That's a medically required item and won't be a problem at all.

I hope that you've been made aware of the Carnival policy regarding scooters...

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your cabin. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard cabin: a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified cabin or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_87

I did just get a reply from Carnival re: my surge protector & extension cord for my CPAP, and they said:

We have been advised that extension cords/power strips are allowed if they are to be used with medical equipment such as your CPAP machine.

I'll be packing a copy of this email in my carry-on.

Thanks Mach, for all you do!

By all means bring it. That's a medically required item and won't be a problem at all.

I hope that you've been made aware of the Carnival policy regarding scooters...

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your cabin. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard cabin: a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified cabin or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

Thank you. I assume that the scooter will fit as I rented it from a cruise supply house in Galveston. I used the same place for a cruise on the Voyager. The fit was very tight but it worked. And my driving improved!

Now Carnival is saying that Port Authority just made new rules saying a 12"x12"x12" or less Medi-Fridge (http://www.medi-fridge.com/) for ppl's medication or other medical- or disability-related needs is not allowed onboard and will be confiscated if somebody tries to bring it even with a doctor's note! They told my TA that it wasn't Carnival's rule, it was the Port Authority's rule. :rolleyes:

It was somebody on this board who posted the link to those products a couple weeks ago and I believe they have brought their Medi-Fridge (the one for vials) onboard a Carnival ship in the past.

(I'm going to post this as a new thread, too, in case that person and the others who have these devices/will be getting these devices upon the recommendation don't see it here.)

The first board that I read this on said that extension cords were being confiscated. This one really doesn't mention extension cords, but seems to indicate that it is power strips that are banned. Is it both extension cords and power strips? I do hope that Carnival puts out a specific list of what is and is not allowed. I am not complaining about the ban, just the lack of clarity on what is and is not banned.

The first board that I read this on said that extension cords were being confiscated. This one really doesn't mention extension cords, but seems to indicate that it is power strips that are banned. Is it both extension cords and power strips? I do hope that Carnival puts out a specific list of what is and is not allowed. I am not complaining about the ban, just the lack of clarity on what is and is not banned.

The confiscated items were a power strip and a fan. That's what drove all of this.

If you need the extension cord and or power strip the easiest way to take care of the situation is to pack it in your carry on. If you pack it in your checked luggage label it 'Medically necessary' and it'll be fine... extension cord inculded...

Now Carnival is saying that Port Authority just made new rules saying a 12"x12"x12" or less Medi-Fridge (http://www.medi-fridge.com/) for ppl's medication or other medical- or disability-related needs is not allowed onboard and will be confiscated if somebody tries to bring it even with a doctor's note! They told my TA that it wasn't Carnival's rule, it was the Port Authority's rule. :rolleyes:

It was somebody on this board who posted the link to those products a couple weeks ago and I believe they have brought their Medi-Fridge (the one for vials) onboard a Carnival ship in the past.

(I'm going to post this as a new thread, too, in case that person and the others who have these devices/will be getting these devices upon the recommendation don't see it here.)

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. The Port Authority could care less what you bring on board short of explosives...

If you need to refrigerate medical items you and take them to the Guest Services Desk. They have a fridge specifically for that purpose. At least that would prevent you from having to tote a one foot cube around with you...

Gosh all of these years I have been bringing a power strip to use in my stateroom. It is hard to plug in my battery charger in those sockets so the power strip comes in handy!

I had no idea I was breaking all kinds of rules and I have never been informed by any ships crew on Carnival or any other line that these were not allowed.

Is this a new thing? Why the sudden interest in banning these items? :confused:

I will be sure to follow the rules from now on and not take a power strip in the future. I dont want any trouble. :o

If you are having trouble getting your battery charger into the wall socket, then you have two options:

1) Turn it upside down (which is what I do) or

2) Use a short extension cord. These are designed for people having trouble getting six things plugged into a power strip ...

powerstation_9.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival starts selling "approved" power strips in the gift shop

Yes, Jay B. It IS always about profits. I've never smuggled booze on board and try to follow the rules, but this one is way out of line IMHO. I'll be on a Carnival ship next week when the "beards" meet and will be waiting to see what the final policy looks like when I get home from that cruise. If Carnival hassles me on this cruise or those policy details next week are unacceptable to me, I have decided I'll sell my Carnival stock and choose another cruise line (and I've been a very good CCL brands customer). Carnival is getting farther and farther from acting like a customer focused company with such policies.

Archived