Dawn - Penthouse Suite - Is it worth it??

oprahcla

Planning my next cruise on the Dawn. My husband & I, our daughter & her hubby & their 2 yr old daughter (very well mannered).

Checking out the penthouse suite as it sounds like it has one main room & then 2 bedrooms off that.

Economically would I be better off getting adjoining rooms? What would the penthouse offer than would be worth the extra buck?

If anyone can share their thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I guess you are talking about the AB penthouse. The second bedroom is very small with the bed is against the backwall. I don't know how the room is configured for 2 people - I only saw it setup for the mother in-law who had the second bedroom, while her son and daughter in-law had the master bedroom - the AB penthouse was great for them. I don't know how this second bedroom is configured for 2 people - you might want to ask NCL about that - it might be bunkbeds. But you do have privacy and 2 bathrooms. The master bathroom has a tub, which would be great for bathing the 2 year old and there is a long sink counter in the master bathroom, great for changing diapers, if needed. The living room is great for a place for everyone to get together. There is a dining table that seats 4. There would be 4 TV's in this suite and at least 2 DVD players - one in the living room and one in the master bedroom (also good for entertaining a 2 year old.) The penthouse comes with butler service and concierge service which means you get reservations at any restaurant to eat where you want, when you want - regular staterooms don't get that. There is a coffee machine and refrigerator. The butler will bring anything you want to eat from any of the restaurants (not available in lower category staterooms.)

I forgot to add that usually Penthouse and above guests eat at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, if they are not having room service. This is usually a much better breakfast than is offered in the buffet or main dining room. You will also be invited to one or two special cocktail parties.

Personally, I would not cruise on NCL in anything under a Penthouse suite. I think the benefits far outweigh the extra expense. You are even treated differently and recognized by the crew. Suites are something that NCL does especially well - probably better than most cruiselines.

in many of the AB cabins, the sofa is also a pull out to a double bed size. The second bedroom has a soft that opens to a double and a pull down single. There is no room in that room for a crib. However, the master bedroom/bath could hold one.

in many of the AB cabins, the sofa is also a pull out to a double bed size. The second bedroom has a soft that opens to a double and a pull down single. There is no room in that room for a crib. However, the master bedroom/bath could hold one.

An AB suite is very nice, but the adult couple in the second bedroom will definitely have a second class experience compared with you in the main bedroom.

My husband and I just traveled with my in-laws and close family friend last week aboard the Dawn. We were 5 adults in an AB penthouse. While I would agree with OP's, the experience of sleeping in the "kid's bedroom" wasn't exactly ideal for the $ we spent but the VIP perks were a good tradeoff. Both DH and I aren't light packers, and we managed to fit quite a bit into the small closet and stuffed the suitcases under the master bed. We appreciated the ability to close off the entrance to the main portion of the suite since we stayed out much later than the rest of our party. We also liked having the privacy of our own bathroom. The family friend slept on the couch which was a sofa sleeper, but definitely not larger than a twin bed. However, she didn't complain once about the space, but would have preferred not having to share the main bathroom.

Our concierge, Anshuman made all of our restaurant reservations in the VIP area prior to boarding. This took the pressure off having to decide for ourselves (which can be difficult with the picky eaters in our group). While we hadn't anticipated eating in paid restaurants for every meal, DH and I felt our experiences at most were well worth the money. Anshuman also made arrangements for us to have priority seating at all of the shows, allowing us to get there at the last minute. Our butler, Maurice, was wonderful--- extremely accommodating to the many requests he received from those traveling in our party. He even brought us all lobster tails an hour before our dinner reservation on the evening it was served in the main dining room. We really enjoyed the ability to have meals in Cagney's, especially the lunches. I am not a fan of the buffet, and this gave us another option we would not have had if we stayed in adjoining cabins.

All in all, I would have to say that we had a wonderful cruise. I did my research prior to sailing and after reading many posts had some reservations that we were going to be extremely uncomfortable, but overall it worked out fine. In hindsight, I wouldn't have wanted to pass up the opportunity to try out the VIP experience.

Archived