Summit or HAL's Veendam

cotondog

My DH and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary and decided to plan a cruiise out of Jersey or NY. We are leaning towards Celebrity Summit doing Canada or Veendam and Bermuda. We just got off the Oasis of the Seas and thought it was spectacular, but lacking something. The food was marginal at best. Disappointing especially when they have so much else going for them. We like newer clean well maintained ships, we are in our 40's and like good entertainment and fun. We are not party animals. Based on the 2 ships and their Itineraries can anyone give me thoughts what they think we might enjoy. I have concerns about the age of the ships and also what the demographics might be like on these sailings. We want classy and to feel well taken care of. Thanks in advance for all the words of wisdom!!!!

Have never failed with Celebrity! We are going on the Summit! I just never have sailed HAL, and although we are in our 50's, we are bringing some young people with us! We are also elite on Celebrity, and want to use the perks!! The service is fantastic on this line and can't be beat!

My DH and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary and decided to plan a cruiise out of Jersey or NY. We are leaning towards Celebrity Summit doing Canada or Veendam and Bermuda. We just got off the Oasis of the Seas and thought it was spectacular, but lacking something. The food was marginal at best. Disappointing especially when they have so much else going for them. We like newer clean well maintained ships, we are in our 40's and like good entertainment and fun. We are not party animals. Based on the 2 ships and their Itineraries can anyone give me thoughts what they think we might enjoy. I have concerns about the age of the ships and also what the demographics might be like on these sailings. We want classy and to feel well taken care of. Thanks in advance for all the words of wisdom!!!!

Have found Hal to "generally" have an older group of people..We too are going on the Summit August 29 Canada New England let me know if you will be on board!

Jan

"When" is really important. If during the Northeast school summer break (Mid-June to last week of August) you are likely to have a younger demographic with more families (on both lines).

If you are looking at September/October, you will find a somewhat older group on both lines, and I would give a slight edge in "Liveliness" to Celebrity. I've not yet been on either ship, but have sailed both lines. Will sail the Summit in only 31 days!

Both ships are certainly "Not new" and there are recent reviews on both that are generally mixed. I personally don't go looking for small rust spots or worn upholstery, but if this is important to you you may want to consider a newer or recently refurbished vessel.

On the other hand, "Classy and well taken care of" I think you will find on both of these ships. Therefore, with the provision that you realize these are not new ships, I feel it comes down to "Do you want to go to the beach?" (in which case Bermuda wins) or "Do you want fresh lobster?" in which case the New England/Canada run wins out.

The biggest difference between the two would be the itineraries.

The Veendam will visit two very interesting ports in Bermuda. Unfortunately, they have to tender into St Georges, but can dock right in Hamilton. Besides having things to see and do during the day, both have several restaurants and pubs to visit at night.

The Summit will spend all 3 days docked at Kings Wharf which my least favorite port in Bermuda. There's not much to do there although the beaches are a short bus ride away. Because of it's size the Summit can't dock anywhere else.

I also found the Veendam much more expensive. Their cheapest verandah stateroom was higher priced than concierge class on the Summit, and CC has more perks as well.

Archived