How to keep your camcorder from fogging up

Hi,

I'm sure someone on this board has some really great tips for keeping your camcorder operational while cruising in the Caribbean.

Years ago on the Paradise, my dad took the camcorder out and tried to use it, and it was all fogged up with condensation, and the camera wouldn't operate.

Does anyone have tips for preventing this? We'd like to use our camera while cruising in the caribbean this April. :)

The quick change in the temp is what messes up camcorders sometimes. We were told that if we keep our room real cool to keep the camcorder wrapped in a towel. We've been to the Caribbean three times and haven't had a problem with our camcorder. Congrats on your marriage.

A little bit more complete answer... "Fog" is condensation, which forms when the temperature of a surface (such as your camcorder or camera lens) is lower than the dew point of the air around it.

Since the dew point in the Caribbean is almost always fairly high and the temperature in your cabin is almost always fairly cool, this happens frequently.

I'm not sure what good a towel is going to do, if the equipment is stored in the room overnight. The key is to store the equipment in a place where it will not be excessively cooled by the air conditioning in the room. (Maybe the towel does this by protecting it from the direct air flow?)

Anyway... My suggestion would be to find the warmest place in the cabin, away from the cool air flow from the vents, and keep it there.

If you find yourself with this problem, the only thing you can really do is wait until the camera warms up enough so that the humid air doesn't condense.

Theron

I leave my camera in the bag, on my balcony, that way the camera is always "warmed" up and ready to use. For those that are afraid of the ship washers getting it wet, I usually have it with me when they are working and it is not a problem. If left in the zip lock bag, the bag will protect it.

Tim

TPKeller, you are correct. The benefit of the towel is that if you wrap it reasonably tightly, you minimize the amount of air (with moisture) is in direct contact with the camcorder while it warms above the dew point. After a few minutes, even through the towel, the camcorder surfaces will have warmed above the dew point and not cause "flash" condensation on the lenses.

The ziploc bag is not as effective as it tends to leave more air closer to the surface of the camera and hence more moisture that can condense. In addition, any moister that does condense will either form on the camera or on the inside of the bag and drip onto the camera. The towel works better. For my camera, I've often wrapped it in a shirt that I might use later to keep the sun off or after the sun goes down for chills. Since I usually carry a backpack when going off-ship, I wrap it in the shirt and put the whole thing in the backpack. Later, I have the shirt in the backpack if I need it.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll try the tshirt and camcorder bag ideas first. Tiger Lily, thank you for the warm wishes.

With regard to our camcorder bag, I remember that while cruising in Europe, it was fairly humid in Athens, and my still digital camera was always kept warm because the camcorder bag is black, and therefore my camera contents within were always pretty toasty.

But our robust little camcorder kept working in Athens .... perhaps it wasn't as humid as I remember ... but wow it was hot. I still have the tan lines from the tank-top-sunburn I received that day! :)

Archived